[WIP]DarkTemor's A2SD for the replenish [update 8/28/2011]

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I am attempting to make Dark Tremor's A2SD script work with the Replenish. I know that this is a major problem with space. I hopefully will have the batch files completed by sometime Saturday, as I have to work and still have a lot to do and testing before I uploaded.
I tried to get it to work as an update.zip file, but I couldn't get it to work. As I can see that there really isn't any dev's beside the penguin working on roms for this. I figured I could help.

Bear with me. I have a life too.

bodyman

update1: halfway through coding, don't have the kids today, so there won't be much coding today. sorry guys, hoped to have this done today. but not happening. I have not forgot!!

update2: Got the files to copy over, just having problems getting it to work... Ever closer. Here is a screenshot on the phone:

IMAG0068.jpg

update3: Ok, I only have one more thing to figure out and that is I need to get this to run on boot. I think that it has something to do with ro.secure being set to 1. And that has to do with recovery, I believe. I have never done something like this before, but I think I am making progress. I will keep this updated as soon as I figure out something. So, thanks for the patience. (I know my son is trying to be ;) )

Update 4: I am still working on this project. I am currently installing everything I need to get this running (thanks for the wubi idea). Since we have cwm, this will be easier after I make a kernel. That is the last step.

Update5: Didn't get much done. But I have not forgotten. Am working on another way to get this implemented. I would really like to see this working, because I like this better than the froyo .asec folder option.

Update6: Still working on it. Haven't forgotten this project. Did some things tonight, but a no go and I didn't brick my son's phone (thought I did for a moment) I think I am going to have to make a complete rom for this, which I think everyone will want. I'll keep you updated as progress goes. Just remember, this is new (coding) to me and is taking awhile as my middle age brain has to get rid of some of the garbage.

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: [WIP]DarkTemor's A2SD for the replenish (not uploaded yet)

this would be amazing, afaik you need init.d support. but honestly the script id love the most on these phones (prevail and replenish) is firerats mod. it allows you to resize the partitions to make data bigger and shrink /system, however its VERY risky

anyways pm me if you have any issues or need some help. dont have much time to myself these days but im always willing to help when i do :)

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Excuse me if I'm wrong here, but this partitions some/all of the sd card to an ext format and uses symbolic linking to force apps to the sd card? Or is there more to it? I'd love to see this come to the Replenish, I'm tired of the storage notification no matter how many apps I seem to remove.

If you're sticking to batch scripts, I could write up a GUI for Windows users if you like. I made one for LeafRom and ShabbyMod to help the users who were having trouble. I'm also in the process of writing a basic Android app so we can customize our roms without needing a computer or custom kernels and recoveries installed on our phones.

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, if I do I will defiantly ask. But need to get the script running first. Still coding it. Won't be able to do anything from work, because I don't have access to a computer. Also am going to try to make it possible to import into roms.

What this does is basically takes a portion of your sd card and uses it as part of /system/app and the ability to use a swap partition. Basically goes back to the G1 days to add more app space. Google on how to position an sd card properly, or if you have a phone that has a custom recovery to format the sd card. DarkTremor recommends a class 4 or higher, but I have used it with a class 2 card with no problems.

bodyman

Last edited:

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Well, lucky for me, I have a class 4. This does seem quite useful. I could use the batch scripts when they're finished to add an option to ShabbyLeaf when sending a new rom. For removing this, is it just as simple as removing the partition/swap space and symbolic link?

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Well, lucky for me, I have a class 4. This does seem quite useful. I could use the batch scripts when they're finished to add an option to ShabbyLeaf when sending a new rom. For removing this, is it just as simple as removing the partition/swap space and symbolic link?

Plan on making a rom, probably based off of cm. Going to talk to koush or AmonRA about how to make a custom recovery, so I can possibly make one for this phone. So we can have more options for this.

This is my son's phone (i have the evo 3D), so i am doing this for him, and I thought I would share with the community.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: [WIP]DarkTemor's A2SD for the replenish [update 8/6/2011]

well the good news is one of the prevail owners is very close on cwm, he has it booting already just needs to have teh correct mount poiints, which if he gets it working for the prevail seeing as the replenish is so close it would be easy to port it im sure

edit, its out and done, ive already asked him to change a few of the things and pass it on to me so that we can have cwm for teh replenish :)

Last edited:

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

well the good news is one of the prevail owners is very close on cwm, he has it booting already just needs to have teh correct mount poiints, which if he gets it working for the prevail seeing as the replenish is so close it would be easy to port it im sure

edit, its out and done, ive already asked him to change a few of the things and pass it on to me so that we can have cwm for teh replenish :)

that is good, if he does that then my work will not be needed then, because we could just flash it through cwm.

jesuspantaleon1993

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

I hope its soon than later.:)

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

should have the script done and uploaded sometime this evening... It will all depend on whether or not people can leave me alone so I can concentrate. But my wife and kids think that I can walk away anytime and return to continue at will without losing my thought.

I am working on it right now.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I know that feeling.. No need to rush it. Thanks for working to bring this much needed script to the Replenish :)

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

I agree too.although I don't understand I just know its good I think.lol

what this will do it allow your apps on a partition on your sd card to free up the memory (mainly /data) and put it onto the sdcard. It works similiar to the froyoApps2sd, except the partition will be considered apart of the entire android system, also this will enable swap (which is much needed on this phone) that will speed up your system greatly.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Adding to Bodyman's post, this moves the entire application to the sd card. Unlike Froyo, which keeps a percentage of the app on the system for security purposes. Mainly to prohibit pirating apps.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

jesuspantaleon1993

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
what this will do it allow your apps on a partition on your sd card to free up the memory (mainly /data) and put it onto the sdcard. It works similiar to the froyoApps2sd, except the partition will be considered apart of the entire android system, also this will enable swap (which is much needed on this phone) that will speed up your system greatly.

Dude...that's just awesome.I think everyone is goin to love you for that.lol just kidding.
But keep the good work.everyone know this phone needs help

bodyman

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Dude...that's just awesome.I think everyone is goin to love you for that.lol just kidding.
But keep the good work.everyone know this phone needs help

script is written, and runs fine in the emulator, but am having problems with it flashing to the phone. I am currently brain-dead and am going to relax now. I just closed i think over a hundred windows (it seemed like it)

I think that the problem is the original programing. I am unable to get the phone to mount in root to copy the files that need to go directly to the /system and /system/bin. I might have the wrong mount points. Going to check out on that later.

I am so close that I can taste it.

bodyman

p.s. Things you do for your kids and then share with the world

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I know that /dev/stl12 is /system, but I'm not sure about the rest of the mounts. Here is a quick dump Shabby asked me to do awhile back if it hints at the correct mount points for you:

Code:
dd if=/dev/bml1 of=/sdcard/mibib
dd if=/dev/bml2 of=/sdcard/qcsbl
dd if=/dev/bml3 of=/sdcard/oemsbl
dd if=/dev/bml4 of=/sdcard/amss
dd if=/dev/bml8 of=/sdcard/arm11boot
dd if=/dev/bml9 of=/sdcard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/bml10 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/stl12 of=/sdcard/system.rfs
dd if=/dev/stl13 of=/sdcard/data.rfs

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: [WIP]DarkTemor's A2SD for the replenish [update 8/8/2011]

Take a look at the script that shabby uses to upload is ROM 0.2. I believe this may provide a basis for what you need to copy stuff to system.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non