stratosphere 1 won't let me use keypad during call unless speakerphone is on

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've found that when I'm on a call using my Stratosphere 1, if I'm prompted to enter a sequence of numbers and I bring up the keypad on the screen, most of the numbers will not enter when I press them on the keypad, or the screen goes dark after about 1 second even if I'm in the middle of entering numbers. The only workaround is to turn on the speakerphone, and then I am able to enter numbers on the keypad with the speakerphone on. (This means obviously it's not a hardware issue with the sensors on the screen.) But if I'm in a public place, I don't want to have the speakerphone on and subject everyone to the sounds of all the voice prompts that I'm navigating while pushing keys on the keypad. Anyone found a workaround?

The phone's software seems to be following a rule like: "If the speakerphone is not on, then when the phone moves away from the user's face, assume the user is not actively using the phone and let the screen go dark" -- where the bug is that it doesn't make an exception and keep the screen on if the user is actively pressing keys on the keypad.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like your issue here is the proximity sensor in the phone is bad or blocked, it cannot tell when it is next to your face and when it is away. Your best bet is to factory default and see if the problem corrects itself, otherwise it is most likely a hardware issue and the device will need to be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87