Android smilies?

mistyinca

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
while texting to and fro with my sister the other day, I realized that typical smilie texts translate into android smilies on my Incredible. How cute!

So I think the standard posting smilies here at Android Central should be the same.

What do you think? :D

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I love it. I'll dig through the AOSP source and attach a zip file of them here, and pass the idea up the ladder.

Edit*
I've attached all the open source Android smileys inside a zip file for anyone who wants to play with em.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
while texting to and fro with my sister the other day, I realized that typical smilie texts translate into android smilies on my Incredible. How cute!

So I think the standard posting smilies here at Android Central should be the same.

What do you think? :D

That's a good idea actually, I will find out to see if it is possible.

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if VBULLETIN forum software works like my IPB forum software, but in mine, we only need to convert the files to GIF's and upload them to the appropriate folder.. It likely works the same here. I've seen plenty of VBulletin forums running smileys other than the default..

My site uses Kolobok almost exclusively.. (If u click link, look in right column for artists and categories)

MM

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Can I offer a dissenting voice here?

The idea of Andy-based smilies seems good. In practice, these little icons are pretty small and can't hold a lot of information. By the time you use a certain amount of that bandwidth to express "hey, it's an android!", there isn't that much left to actually use for expressing emotions. They're too small, so that (at least to these old eyes) they all look about the same. Which kinds of defeats the purpose.

Bottom line: nice idea, but I like the original, much more expressive smilies. YMMV.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey, did someone take my comment to heart? I notice that this morning we seem to have the best of both worlds:

A subset of the Android smilies :cool: that actually do manage to express an emotion pretty well, and a set of old-school smilies :p to take the place of the one's that were hard to distinguish from similar ones in the Android set.

Hopefully now everyone will be :)happy!:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo