Code for the lowmemorykiller

coggster

May 17, 2010
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-properly-set-and-use-task-killer-oh-yes-i-went-there

Hi All,

I am relatively new too Android as a platform and am reading around as much as possible to learn from the bottom up as much as my poor frazzled brain can take in. I came across the linked article written by Jerry and have copied the pertenant section and pasted it below.
In the article Jerry mentions adjusting the lowmemorykiller kernel parameters in place of using the somewhat frowned upon TaskKillers (No I have a task manager at the moment but after reading up on the subject am considering a task killer for emergency situations and definitely used in the correct manner and not blindly killing everything possible).
Too my question - I was wondering if anyone that reads this post has the knowledge and/or inclination to actually give me some advice on how to go about such a change to system settings? I figured this would be a much quicker root (fantastic pun I know) than me using google to find out all the required information.

Thank you in advance for any help or comments, preferably constructive but anything will do.
Lee

A special section here for the rooted/ROM'd/Mad Scientist types.

There's a new breed of task killer out there in the wilds of the Market. These adjust the lowmemorykiller kernel parameters and let things run as usual rather than have the user (that's me and you) try to manage each and every application. It makes sense once you consider that the code for the lowmemorykiller and it's settings haven't been changed since Android 1.0 . If you're willing to take the time to adjust the settings according to your needs, these work great. It's also very easy to pass these settings to the system without an application by writing specific values to the system settings. If this interests you (and if you're a tweeker it should!) it would be a great subject for a thread in the hacking forums, and one that I'd love to participate in. Yeah that's a hint :)
Until next time,
Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress