I'm an Aspiring Android Developer and have I have a question! Can I get some help?

Adrian Max

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm an Aspiring Android Developer and have I have a question!

Hello Android Community,

I am sure that there are some real android developers on this website so I have a question to ask. I am teaching myself and taking online courses in Android Development and want to get paid to do it someday. Since there are no official degrees in the relatively new field of mobile development, I understand that in order to get noticed I need to develop my own apps and put them on github and the play store. This leads to my question...

In order to get noticed by an employer what kind of apps should I be developing for my "resume" so to speak? Should I be trying to develop apps that show my understanding of the android framework and architecture or should try to make something that reflects my "personality and style", by making an app that is less advanced but is more fun and unique?

Right now I am working on a somewhat boring app that stores user's locations on Google Maps and using json queries to search the map and find what establishments are nearby. This would showcase my understanding of SQLite databases, API's, and web queries. Would this grab an employer's attention or is it too boring and simple?

Any response would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

zymlok

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: I'm an Aspiring Android Developer and have I have a question!

This app may by good and this is good idea, but old idea :p
In play store is a few apps with this functions so i think this is not boring and simple but Yours app don't cut through the already popular applications...

mazebo

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

I agree that your app idea is a good way to show your understanding of json, SQLite etc. And it's true that it won't make you rich... ; )
But since you seem to have decided this is you future line of work, there's no need to try to make one app, that shows all of your skills and potential. You go on and make a few apps - some to show off skills, and pehaps others that are mostly original. And don't forget that a good understanding of UI/UX is a very sought after quality among app dev employers.
Good Luck!

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I believe the real question is: do I want to create a really killing app with hundred of thousands of downloads, or I just want to test, improve and show my skills?
It is not sure that you will reach both goals in the same way... I said this because too often I noticed that a lot of apps that can appear silly, and that doesn't require a good skills in developing, but achieve an huge amount of downloads. Just today a friend of mine have put my attention on some apps that, given the full price of an item and the discount percentage, calculate the final price... And those apps are reaching thousands of downloads.
Now, of course, people who thought to develop those apps have had a great idea (probably they are reaching good revenues), but I don't believe they will be noticed because of their code writing skills...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38