Creating Custom Recovery for Unsupported Phone?

walker5538

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I recently rooted my phone and I want to start playing around with the Xposed framework modules. Before I do this, I would like to make a recovery to boot to in case I soft brick my phone. Sort of like a "snapshot" of what is on my phone right now without having to use someone else's recovery or stock to get my phone working again. Here's my info, and let me know if you need more:

Samsung Galaxy K Zoom
Running Android KitKat 4.4.2

I have downloaded CWM and TWRP. It seems I am able to make a backup with TWRP, but when I restart to recovery to create the backup, it give me an Android on its back with an error. My phone is not supported by CWM Recovery. What are my options here? And I do have a custom recovery that someone else has posted from XDA, but where should I put that file? And I'm not sure what that recovery contains.

If there is a walkthrough on how to make a manual recovery, or if there are other programs out there that can do what I need, please direct me to them. I'm more than happy to read up on things on my own, I just don't think I'm searching for the correct terms.

If you couldn't tell, I'm somewhat of a newcomer to rooting, and I've never played with the Xposed framework.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
You dont need CWM if you already have TWRP. Just use TWRP and do a nandroid backup. There's also the xposed uninstaller zip that you can flash in TWRP if something goes wrong.

Edit: You should read up on TWRP and Xposed so you at least know the basics.

walker5538

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I have read quite a bit about doing a recovery and it seems pretty easy... as long as your phone is supported. My phone is not. I'm just not sure how to make a custom recovery with a phone that is not listed on their supported devices.