What's the difference between the Z1 and Z1s?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Saw the review recently and am kind of confused.

Here in Australia, we've had the Xperia Z1 for a while now (few months I believe), and saw this Z1s at CES just recently. So what's the difference between the two? Is the Z1s just the name of the US variant and it's known as the Z1 everywhere else?

From what I can tell, the specs seem the same.

Also, seems kind of strange that they'd bother releasing the Z1s so late to the US when the Z2 is (supposedly) just around the corner with a MWC reveal?

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Saw the review recently and am kind of confused.

Here in Australia, we've had the Xperia Z1 for a while now (few months I believe), and saw this Z1s at CES just recently. So what's the difference between the two? Is the Z1s just the name of the US variant and it's known as the Z1 everywhere else?

From what I can tell, the specs seem the same.

Also, seems kind of strange that they'd bother releasing the Z1s so late to the US when the Z2 is (supposedly) just around the corner with a MWC reveal?

The Z1s is a International variant of the Z1 for T-Mobile... Smaller, Internal memory of 32 GB instead of 16GB, 720p screen instead of 1080P, the rest is pretty much the same.. A Z1 Mini if you will...

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I see. Thanks for that.

I've been playing with a Z1 and it's a very nice phone, however I'm holding out to see the HTC One (2014) and Xperia Z2 to determine which will be my next phone. Both sound like they'll be great.

Just wasn't sure if this Z1s was the rumoured Sirius phone. Guess it's not.

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I see. Thanks for that.

I've been playing with a Z1 and it's a very nice phone, however I'm holding out to see the HTC One (2014) and Xperia Z2 to determine which will be my next phone. Both sound like they'll be great.

Just wasn't sure if this Z1s was the rumoured Sirius phone. Guess it's not.

No supposedly the Sirius phone is going to be competing against the Galaxy S5 when it comes to Specs so expect something big...

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm I see... freaking reviews all over saying a 720p screen...

No need to get so snarky with him. He was correcting a post you made that was slightly off base to say the least in an effort to properly inform the OP. The Z1s has 32 gb internal memory (a bump up from the Z1) as well as a 5" 1080p screen. I've yet to read a review that says otherwise.

From the front page of this very site: Sony Xperia Z1s review | Android Central
Specs from T-mobile: Sony Xperia Z1S Smartphone | Xperia Z1S Reviews & Specs | T-Mobile

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
No need to get so snarky with him. He was correcting a post you made that was slightly off base to say the least in an effort to properly inform the OP. The Z1s has 32 gb internal memory (a bump up from the Z1) as well as a 5" 1080p screen. I've yet to read a review that says otherwise.

From the front page of this very site: Sony Xperia Z1s review | Android Central
Specs from T-mobile: Sony Xperia Z1S Smartphone | Xperia Z1S Reviews & Specs | T-Mobile

I see the problem some reviews confuse the Z1 compact with the Z1s... which ends up resulting in 720p screens...

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Other differences include:

The Z1s moves the headphone jack to the center of the phone.

Z1s is slightly longer the the Z1 (These two points are important because accessories for the Z1 will NOT fit the Z1s properly)

The Z1s is shipping with android 4.3 and all the camera enhancements. The Z1 shipped with 4.2 and I believe is staring to get the 4.3 update now.

If you like to root and put custom ROMs on your phone, the bootloader on the TMo Z1s is locked.