Is this Sony Xperia Z3 in PURPLE?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
You may have hit the nail on the head..

Xperia blog is reporting no new Xperia devices at MWC.

No new Sony flagship expected at MWC 2015 | Xperia Blog

I read that elsewhere too.

I have a Z3, but it was my first Sony phone. If I'd have had the Z2, I'd never had got it. The upgrade just wasn't substantial enough.

It looks like Sony is moving away for the 6-month flagship cycle. I think it's probably for the best. If you do that, you really have to go for top-end everything, and Sony haven't (although it's easily the best high-end phone I've used). Even when the Z3 came out in what seemed only 5 minutes after the Z2, it had a Snapdragon 801 when other phones were jumping in with 805's. OK, I know it's all speculative, but... I suspect a Z4 in Summer with the SD810, smaller top & bottom bezels, 5.5" screen, a much better front shooter. Still 3gb RAM, but maybe 32GB on board instead of 16... I don't see the overall glass design changing much though. I think that's what makes it a 'Z'.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I read that elsewhere too.

I have a Z3, but it was my first Sony phone. If I'd have had the Z2, I'd never had got it. The upgrade just wasn't substantial enough.

It looks like Sony is moving away for the 6-month flagship cycle. I think it's probably for the best. If you do that, you really have to go for top-end everything, and Sony haven't (although it's easily the best high-end phone I've used). Even when the Z3 came out in what seemed only 5 minutes after the Z2, it had a Snapdragon 801 when other phones were jumping in with 805's. OK, I know it's all speculative, but... I suspect a Z4 in Summer with the SD810, smaller top & bottom bezels, 5.5" screen, a much better front shooter. Still 3gb RAM, but maybe 32GB on board instead of 16... I don't see the overall glass design changing much though. I think that's what makes it a 'Z'.

As a Z3 owner I am happy that they are not releasing a Z4 so soon after the Z3. If the article is right, then a summer release is just fine by me. I agree with loading the Z4 up and doing a yearly release.

An 810, 3GB of RAM and 32GB storage would be great. I do hope they stick with the current 5.2 screen size though unless they can squeeze at 5.5 into the exact same dimensions as the the Z3. The Z3 is at it's limit for me as far as actual phone sizes go..

I hope they don't go 2K screen and stick with the 1080p. I've had a qHD screen and I see no difference whatsoever other than the associated battery drain that comes with a 2K display..

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
As a Z3 owner I am happy that they are not releasing a Z4 so soon after the Z3. If the article is right, then a summer release is just fine by me. I agree with loading the Z4 up and doing a yearly release.

An 810, 3GB of RAM and 32GB storage would be great. I do hope they stick with the current 5.2 screen size though unless they can squeeze at 5.5 into the exact same dimensions as the the Z3. The Z3 is at it's limit for me as far as actual phone sizes go..

I hope they don't go 2K screen and stick with the 1080p. I've had a qHD screen and I see no difference whatsoever other than the associated battery drain that comes with a 2K display..

I think a 5.5" screen may increase the overall size, as I imagine Sony will stick with their dual front-facing speakers. I had the Lg G3, which had almost no bezel, but the single rear speaker on the back was a pain.

In essence, I agree about 1080p v QuadHD. Compared to the Z3 battery, the G3's was awful (in my case 12-14hrs against 20-25 now). But if any manufacturer can get a long battery life on QHD, it may be Sony, as they clearly have battery life nailed currently. But again, as you say, QHD even on a phablet is a 'meh'. Nice, but in day-to-day use, it's barely noticeable.

rspierenburg

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree, there comes a point where pixel density is just no longer noticable on such as small screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Z3 currently has a better pixel density at 1080p than the Apple Retina display and Apple designed to the limits of perception for most of the population. As I mentioned before I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S2 so I'm pretty easy to impress. I would have like to have more internal ram (wouldn't be so bad if it was possible to move apps to SD card). As it is now, I prefer a longer battery life over a slightly faster processor.
The Z3 is roughly the same width as my old SG2 but definitely longer (need to get used to) but my Z3 needed to be repaired so the carrier gave me a Note 2 as a loaner, suffice to say I will NEVER complain at the size of the Z3 ever again, this thing is a beast.

Rob

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree, there comes a point where pixel density is just no longer noticable on such as small screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Z3 currently has a better pixel density at 1080p than the Apple Retina display and Apple designed to the limits of perception for most of the population. As I mentioned before I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S2 so I'm pretty easy to impress. I would have like to have more internal ram (wouldn't be so bad if it was possible to move apps to SD card). As it is now, I prefer a longer battery life over a slightly faster processor.
The Z3 is roughly the same width as my old SG2 but definitely longer (need to get used to) but my Z3 needed to be repaired so the carrier gave me a Note 2 as a loaner, suffice to say I will NEVER complain at the size of the Z3 ever again, this thing is a beast.

Rob

Very true.

I think the iPhone 6+ is 401ppi. my wife has the 6, which is less, and the screen is very nice. There's no definitive answer, but on an average 5" display, maybe once you drop below 300 do you really start to see a difference, and even then if you were to show you friend a funny clip or YT vid in the pub, I doubt any would say 'You're PPI seem to be low'.

Internal memory to 32gb would be nice, yes. Sony may even push the RAM to 4gb, as they went for 3gb on the Z3, which wasn't (and still isn't) standard by any means. But, like screens/PPI, the vast majority of phones cope perfectly well with 2gb of RAM, and only having dozens of apps open or playing very screen-intensive games would lead to any noticeable difference. Having said that, as Lollipop develops more RAM is going to prove far more useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa