Is it possible to save all media from Whatsapp straight onto an external SD card?

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Sony Xperia Z3. Now this phone has an option to put in an external memory card, as I take and send a lot of pictures I used a 64gb external SD card.

All media can be saved directly onto that memory card, except for anything coming off whatsapp. I send and receive a lot of media from whatsapp, and every time someone sends me something, it automatically saves on the internal memory. Now with the amount I have used whatsapp in the past, the 16gb internal memory will not last!

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to save any media off whatsapp and save it onto the external card, obviously without having to do it manually every time something new comes in.

I have done some quick research on the matter, and some people have suggested rooting the phone and moving the app onto the SD card:

Will this work?
Will the media automatically save onto the SD card?
Is it safe for the phone?
Are there any other alternative methods?

I'm sure this hasn't been a problem in the past! Does that mean it's the phone's fault, or has whatsapp changed? Any help and advice on the matter would be amazing.

Regards

Suk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately Whatsapp does not allow you to set the save path for images, audio, and video. Rooting and applying a 'patch' to make the phone 'think' your SD card is actually a part of the internal memory would allow you to move Whatsapp into the SD card, as well as its internal folders.

HOWEVER, due to the SD Card's tendency to fail, I don't really suggest you do.

You can still manually copy over the files to SD Card or maybe Tasker can be set to move the files automatically at a certain time or something. NOT sure if Tasker can move files or if you still need root for that though, but it's possible.

UPDATE: This from a fellow Ambassador. Apparently it IS possible to move files with Tasker.
http://youtu.be/h86EZcdOlVk

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi SpookDroid,

Thanks for your reply! A few quick questions as I am struggling to decide what to do:

If I buy a reliable SD card that is known not to break down or go wrong, would you advise in moving the app onto the SD card?

Once the app is onto the SD card, is it known whether the media files (photos, videos etc) will automatically save onto the SD card or will it go back to the internal storage?

Finally, I am considering using Tasker. But I couldn't figure out, does the phone need to be rooted in order for Tasker to work?

Thanks for all the help so far!! I really want to sort this out

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1) I still don't recommend apps on SD cards because the read/write speeds and reliability is just not on par with internal memory (plus, if you remove the card for whatever reason, apps do tend to misbehave and sometimes even show up as uninstalled), but it's not the end of the world. They are usable.

2) I'm not 100% sure. Usually, when the app is moved, so are all its folders, including the Media ones, so it's very likely it's the case with Whatsapp.

3) You don't need root to use Tasker, but you might need root to be able to move files. Not mentioned on the video though, so you might not need it.

revdaxx

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
From Tasker's home page "This simple concept profoundly extends your control of your Android device and it's capabilities, without the need for 'root' or a special home screen."

Just bought it. Failed to replicate what was shown in the video but I'll persevere til I get there. Hate the way my Z3/What's App deals with photos in general so if I can get this app to help out a bit it'll be well worth the money.

Edit - just realised the above poster already said rooting not necessary for the app. BTW why are my posts now being pre nodded? They weren't when I joined.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
revdaxx,

You seem to be having the same issues and problems as I am!

What would you recommend doing? Can you see a solution to all of this through the use of Tasker? At the moment, would you recommend buying it and seeing if it all goes well? Also how much does the app cost and is it available on the google play store?

It is incredibly frustrating! Such a great phone and app...but horribly managed!

revdaxx

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
It's super cheap, just a couple of bucks in Play.

I'm a novice to the app and to Android. Just worked thru the first tutorial and from that and the video here I think it should solve the problem, even though I can't be 100% sure.

But even if it doesn't there's a couple of other uses for the app I can think of, just from the app list of suggested applications to build, so if nothing else it'll be fun to build stuff I think.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Whatsapp but there might be an easier way to move your media files.

You will need an SD card. If you already have one, then you can try this now.

1. On your Z3 go to Settings > Storage
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Miscellaneous area, you will find an entry for "Transfer data to SD card"
3. Tap "Transfer Data to SD card"
4. Select the types of files you wish to transfer. BTW, this only works with media files.
5. Tap "Transfer" and your done.

I use this utility all the time with music I purchase from Amazon to move it from internal memory to my SD card. Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Using the settings and that process you have just mentioned does not work when it comes to moving Whatsapp pics, the problem is Whatsapp creates its own folder in the internal storage!

But thanks tho, that method is useful for other reasons like moving screenshots etc!

I think I might try using Tasker and see if it works. If not, I may have to root my phone and move the app that way! Unless someone has a different solution then I will 100% try one of these, as I heavily use Whatsapp for media files something has to be done!

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Revdaxx,

Did you manage to sort out the problem and come to a solution with Tasker? I've just started using Tasker...do you have any tutorial videos that you would recommend?

revdaxx

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Wow, how frustrating are these forums? I posted a couple of links but it wont let me *sigh*

Search the Tasker Google group to find my post trying to solve this issue. Still can't actually get it to work but there are a couple of helpful people on the user group trying to help out.

As for tutorials, I found a huge set on YouTube which is great step-by-step for simpler tasks but unfortunately nothing for what we're trying to achieve with WhatsApp.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't rooted or 'hacked' a phone since the Original Motorola Droid, so I can only attest to general news and testimonies from other users.

Rooting your phone is no longer as 'painful' as it was before, so there should be a myriad of guides available, but it does depend on your specific phone model and software version (and newer phones might still not be rooted; same goes for very 'obscure' models). This is needed for you to be able to make modifications to the system files.

Once you're rooted, the most famous collection of hacks and customizations comes from the Xposed Framework. Now, this is where my experience is limited, but once you 'install' this, you're able to apply different patches that change your system's behavior. One of such patches is the ability to 'extend' the SD Card storage into the internal memory space, tricking your phone into thinking the SD card is just another section of its internal one. Again, there might be specific guides depending on your phone model.

lokomotifbag

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I haven't rooted or 'hacked' a phone since the Original Motorola Droid, so I can only attest to general news and testimonies from other users.

Rooting your phone is no longer as 'painful' as it was before, so there should be a myriad of guides available, but it does depend on your specific phone model and software version (and newer phones might still not be rooted; same goes for very 'obscure' models). This is needed for you to be able to make modifications to the system files.

Once you're rooted, the most famous collection of hacks and customizations comes from the Xposed Framework. Now, this is where my experience is limited, but once you 'install' this, you're able to apply different patches that change your system's behavior. One of such patches is the ability to 'extend' the SD Card storage into the internal memory space, tricking your phone into thinking the SD card is just another section of its internal one. Again, there might be specific guides depending on your phone model.

Thank you for the information...

tom mcdonald3

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi all
Not sure if you're still having issues with this. But a simpler solution would be an Android app like foldersync. This can sync cloud and local storage and can be scheduled to run as often as you want it to. I was just looking into this same issue and this is my resolution.
Hope this helps

shahrukh_hp1

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
here's what I have done , select folder of whatsapp media and move it to external sd card + other stuff (like downloads etc) . so now you have space in your internal memory that can be used

Steve Waring

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I've spent half a day learning Tasker, and now have a fully working solution. BTW, not shown in Gallery, Whatsapp also stores a copy of every file you have sent, you can find these using file manager. This is particularly pernicious, because you will be chewing up storage without realising it, and might also be retaining a copy of a sensitive file you thought you had deleted. If you send the same video five times, Whatsapp will save five copies of it!

Moving the file out of the Whatsapp device directory will make the image in Whatsapp blurred, and you can't click on it to see the full size file. Because of this, my Tasker script only looks at files that are older than 10 days (you can choose whatever limit you want). It moves (actually copies and then deletes) received images and videos, and just deletes sent files.

I'll post up the full Tasker script, with notes and screen shots in the next day or so. I just wanted to let people know that there IS a fully working Tasker script now available.

Steve Waring

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, as promised, here is the Tasker code.
  1. Install Tasker from the PlayStore
  2. From the Tasker menu, select Preferences.
    Under the UI tab, uncheck Beginner Mode
    Under the Monitor tab, I unchecked all the options like Accelerometer, and Use motion detection, etc, as they are not needed.
  3. Save this file http://www.stevewaring.me.uk/tsDownloads/TaskerWACleanupTask.txt as a .txt file on your phone.
  4. Using My Flies or a similar file manager, create a folder on your SD card to hold received images and videos. I called mine WA media. I'd advise avoid calling it a name that starts with Whatsapp, as it is very confusing in Gallery if you do.
  5. Import the file as a Task. To import the file, long press on the TASKS menu option in Tasker and you will get an import option. I've not imported a file, so I am not sure of the dialogue, but you should call the task Whatsapp media
  6. Tap on the task to open it in the editor. It should look like this:
    Task.jpg
  7. In the first action an array is set to these four locations:
    WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Images,WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Images/Sent,WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Video,WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Video/Sent
    , if they are not where Whatapp stores pictures and videos on your phone, you need to tap on the action and edit the text.
  8. Tap on action 10. Edit the To value to the folder you created in step 3. Tip, use the magnifying glass icon to browse for the folder.
    When you do this, you may get a message like:
    Grant Document Tree Access Please select your external storage in the following dialog
    When I tried to do that, I was confused as I only saw a Recent Files location. You need to tap on the Show SD card option at the top of the screen. Then tap on the SD card location, it opens up to show the contents of the folder, just tap on Select.
  9. If you want to change the number of days before files are moved, tap action 9 and change the number from 10. BTW Ten days and one second counts as greater that ten days in regards to if a file is actioned.
That's it, as far as the task is concerned, you can run from inside Tasker by tapping the play button at the bottom

To run the task everyday, say at 03:00:
  1. Tap on the PROFILES tab.
  2. Tap on the +
  3. Tap on the Time option
  4. Set the time from say 03:00 to 03:15. The task will only be run once, this just gives a window for when the task will be run if Tasker is busy.
  5. Tap on the back arrow at the top.
  6. Tap on the Whatsapp media task.
  7. Long press where the time of the task shows. Then tap on the A at the top of the screen and you can give the profile a name such as Whatsapp Cleanup.

Last edited: