iPhone to Z3?

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering making the move to Android, but the only phone I'm interested in right now is the Z3. I know I'm talking to a biased crowd, but I'm seeking your expert and honest opinion. Is the native Sony software optimized, much like sense 6, with Android? I left android primarily due to touchwiz. Does the Xperia Z3 line have a good selection of accessories such as cases and screen protectors? I also experienced Bluetooth syncing issues with Samsung devices, any issues syncing Bluetooth with car, headphones and other peripherals? Any durability issues? I'm active duty military and need a tough device for work or access to cases that will protect my phone. Any other comments are welcomed as well. Thanks!

osallent

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
The Z3 runs android close to the stock version, so there is not much manufacturer bloatware like what you find on a Samsung.

Post made possible by Sony Xperia Z3 via the Android Central App

twotone1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Apple have announced record profits just means they make iphones cheap and sell them expensive don't line apples pocket with your cash

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The thing to keep in mind about durability is that a device can and usually will break. Cases can help avoid this. I have yet to try a Sony device, and I would honestly love to. Give the new device at least a week. Keep in mind you are learning a new OS.

From an AOSP M8

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Screen protectors are easy to come by. Cases aren't difficult to find however you don't have the crazy selection you would find say for an iPhone or even Samsung devices but you can find all sorts for sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shower Chan

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You dont need a screen protector as the screen isn't that easy to scratch. I have not using any screen protector since I have z3 from day one. You also might not need any cover, the built quality is good and I haven't got any scratch as of now. Z3 Is a worth to have hand phone after all.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm talking to a biased crowd, but I'm seeking your expert and honest opinion. Is the native Sony software optimized, much like sense 6, with Android? Does the Xperia Z3 line have a good selection of accessories such as cases and screen protectors? Any issues syncing Bluetooth with car, headphones and other peripherals? Any durability issues?

Well I've tried iPhone, Windows Phone 8, Blackberry 10, and Android. There are advantages to every platform, so I don't feel that biased.
Anyway, the Sony software is relatively minimal compared to my Nexus 7. The Sony Z3v is one of the few Android phones/software I can deal with.
As far as cases, it depends on the model you get. The Z3 and Z3 compact seem to have more case and accessory options than the Z3v. But I was able to find one that works.
No problems with BT. Durability is a tough one. I work with stormwater and have to take pictures in the rain; I chose the Z3v due to its dust/water resistance. However I am nervous about dropping due to the glass.
It's a good phone. If you can find a case that you like that can protect the glass back/front, then I say go for it.

Posted via my underrated Xperia Z3v.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Richard's advice is good. I have been using a TMo issue Z3 since release and am very pleased.

As far as BT is concerned, I use my BT all the time and have very few disconnects. I use an LG G Watch R, aftermarket Alpine BT head unit in my car, Uconnect in my Jeep, and a Bose Mini Soundlink unit at home. All work as expected. I get a disconnect on my watch once in awhile but I think it is more the software on my watch. I am a tester for a couple of watch face developers and when I'm switching watch faces around I get an occasional disconnect. Just comes with the testing. Other than that, I found BT on the Z3 very stable. Get in the car or Jeep and the in car units find the phone and connect. Turn on my watch and the devices connect. Turn on my Bose speaker and the unit connects. I also can control my music through my watch for all these devices.

I personally err on the conservative side when it comes to screen protectors and cases, I use both. Found many choices for the Z3. Just check Amazon and Ebay. My two favorite cases are the Bugdroid and Tech21 Tactical. The only issue I have with the Tech21 is that the magnetic connector is not exposed and I've started using that connector more frequently. It's just convenient.

The advice about giving yourself some time to adjust to the new software is worth heeding. Android and iOS are different. I think you will find more freedom in customizing the phone to your preferences with Android versus iOS. Some disagree but my perception.

I recommend the Z3, I have been very pleased. One more thing, my battery life experience has been KILLER. I easily make it through a day and if my use has been light, two days. And that is with my BT and wifi on all the time. You won't get that with an iPhone.

Hope this helps.

09wukd1

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I moved from my iphone 5 to the z3 about a month ago. I've used iPhones for 3 1/2 years now, starting with mthe iPhone 4. In my opinion I love my Z3 so much, the battery life destroys the iphone's battery which needed to be charged at least twice a day.

The main thing i like about IOS is that it is definitely much smoother just compared to any android device I've tested out or used even the Z3. The camera is faster on the iPhone, and so is the keyboard - I'm a fast typer and can feel a delay on my Z3. Camera quality though is fantastic, just the speed needs to be worked out.

Music quality is just as good, im not an audiophile but i like decent music quality.

Apps don't worry about it, go tons of them.

Currently it doesnt have do not disturb mode which irritates me a bit since i get emails 24/7, however I've played around with some sound settings and have sorted it out.

The notification system is much different as well, it doesn't pop up on the home screen, my GF likes that but I don't and downloaded Nils, which completely solved the problem - though someitmes a little buggy - im very picky...

for cases and accessories, i live in hong kong, most cases and stuff are made just across the boarder in china, and there isn't that much compared to the iPhone which sucks coz my gf loves cases - sorry i forgot to mention she has the z3c while i have the z3. don't worry about screen protectors, those are always available.

speaker quality is crazy on the phone, its loud, i love it.

i do play clash of clans, it does drain the battery, but no where as near compared to how much my iphone use to drain.

I have never used a battery pack on this phone, and i say you won't need to unless you're a heavy user, i.e. 5 hours of games or 8 hours of videos can kill it.

Btw i don't use LTE, I know LTE puts a drain on it.

In the end, if you asked me if I would go back to the iphone... most likely no unless the iphone reduces in price and improves its battery significantly.

Sammyh28

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I made the exact change at the end of last year and haven't lied back. Yeah there are features that the iphone had that I miss but the z3 is far superior all in all. Eagerly waiting for the lollipop update so I'm sure the whole experience will get better!

Jas_AFK

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I own the Z3, and wouldn't have any other phone. It's OS is close to pure Android and it's battery life is stellar. I used buy a new phone every 6 months, but this Z3 is beautiful and will easily last 2 years.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I like to try different phones so I'm always looking for the next big thing. However, the past two weeks I've had the Z3 have really surprised me, to the point where this may be he perfect device. I had the Z1 last year and it wasn't that great: the phone was heavy and it was so square that it hurt to hold it for lengths of time, the screen was pretty terrible and washed out, the camera wasn't as good as it should have been, etc.
But he Z3 has fixed all of those things. The phone is about as fast as stock android, the screen is gorgeous, the camera phenomenal, and it feels very good in the hand.

Having glass on both sides is a bit of a liability for any phone, even the iPhone 4 and 4s. But using protectors and cases helps greatly. Overall I'm very happy with this phone and would really recommend it.

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Currently it doesnt have do not disturb mode which irritates me a bit since i get emails 24/7, however I've played around with some sound settings and have sorted it out.

There are a bunch of apps for turning off the speaker at night (I use "Pocket Mute", which works fine, but once in a while it turns itself off).

And I recently read that Lollipop will add that as a feature.

ElementalRoses

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
You dont need a screen protector as the screen isn't that easy to scratch. I have not using any screen protector since I have z3 from day one. You also might not need any cover, the built quality is good and I haven't got any scratch as of now. Z3 Is a worth to have hand phone after all.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

You say you don't 'need' a screen protector because it's not that easy to scratch, but it's not impossible to either, I remember with my Xperia Z1 I'd chipped the back glass panel in the first week of having the phone, no idea how, but it's tempered glass, not diamond. Always get screen protectors even if it's difficult to scratch, better safe than sorry.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I only upgraded yesterday to the Z3. I had a Z2 before that and also a Note 4, an S5 and an iPhone 6 and blackberry passport. Once I got the Z2 I really fell in love with Sony again and their phones. There isn't a big difference to be honest between the Z2 and the Z3 but I upgraded anyway and I in no way regret it. Also Sony supplied screen protectors both for the front and back of the phone. I'm still getting a case though. Battery life so far has also been excellent.