Phone Freezes while running GPS and Player Pro

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue. I'm running Gingerbread.EI22 with the nebula theme (not sure if that matters). When I start up my navigator, turn GPS on and start up player pro (music player) it all works fine at first, then all of a sudden my phone freezes and I have to pull the battery. This seems to happen everytime I have all these programs running at once, at varying times. Sometimes it take 20 minutes to happen, sometimes an hour, but it eventually does happen.

At first I thought it was my launcher. I was using ADW EX and when my phone restarted after the battery pull, it froze again and said that ADW has an error and needs to close. I then changed to Launcher Pro, and it doesn't freeze on reboot, but I'm still getting the freezing phone when the programs are running.

I'm wondering if it might be a RAM issue, but shouldn't the phone be able to handle this?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If not, does anyone have any suggestions to why this could be happening and what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Out of the apps you listed running when this happens I would put the music player as the culprit...

GPS and Navigator were probably tested out for the OS and run as expected but throw in the 3rd party app and that could be causing conflicting issues... The device should handle it with no problem but there could be as you say a memory issue or some other unknown problem. Could even be the music player hasn't been updated recently for GB? Sounds silly but many apps still floating around in every day use that aren't updated properly to GB and now the newest issue ICS compliant.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point. I'm not sure if Player Pro has been updated to be compatible with GB; however, I've only noticed this happening when using navigation with it. It doesn't happen any other time. If it is the app, that's a shame, because I really love that music player and haven't had problems prior to updating. I'll e-mail the dev. and see what he has to say. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point. I'm not sure if Player Pro has been updated to be compatible with GB; however, I've only noticed this happening when using navigation with it. It doesn't happen any other time. If it is the app, that's a shame, because I really love that music player and haven't had problems prior to updating. I'll e-mail the dev. and see what he has to say. Thanks for the suggestion!

I would take a look at the last update "date" listed on the main screen for the music app in the market.. Plus the changelog.... That will tell more of the story if the dev doesn't respond right away....

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I recently did the unrooted GPS_fix.zip patch to correct the GPS satellite usage/GPS lock issue (as reported on the "so.... are they gonna fix this GPS issue or not" thread) and I've had intermitent lock up/freezing issues that I never had before. Not running any music app, only Google Nav (maps option) so it could be GB GPS by itself. I'm still trying to document this but the lockups have either shut down the phone on its own or required a battery pull to reset.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I recently did the unrooted GPS_fix.zip patch to correct the GPS satellite usage/GPS lock issue (as reported on the "so.... are they gonna fix this GPS issue or not" thread) and I've had intermitent lock up/freezing issues that I never had before. Not running any music app, only Google Nav (maps option) so it could be GB GPS by itself. I'm still trying to document this but the lockups have either shut down the phone on its own or required a battery pull to reset.

My phone's running a ROM that has the GPS fix built in...maybe that's the problem? I'm never running navigator on it's own (gotta have my music), but if that's the case I'd rather it take longer to find my location than shut down my phone when I'm in route.