Video - HTC Desire vs Galaxy S - Quake 2 demo run video

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Unless they put optical trackpads on either end of the phone, I doubt I'll have fun playing an FPS on this thing- but as a tech demo, this does look encouraging.

On my pre I hated waiting for the calendar to load- the CALENDAR! This demo hopefully means only the most taxing of apps will lag on galaxy... encouraging indeed.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Brandon, you should overclock your Pre. I have had mine running at 1GHz for the past couple days and there is a real improvement. swiping between calendar days is instant. Opening the calendar app takes a few seconds, but it isn't something you have to "wait" for.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm shocked with how bad the pre has gotten to loading apps. They included that animation to cover up the time it takes to load the apps, but the maps app now takes forever. I was playing with my gf's pre and it takes forever (no, I'm not allowed to even put her's in developer mode). I'm so glad Sprint let me switch phones without penalty.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Unless they put optical trackpads on either end of the phone, I doubt I'll have fun playing an FPS on this thing- but as a tech demo, this does look encouraging.

On my pre I hated waiting for the calendar to load- the CALENDAR! This demo hopefully means only the most taxing of apps will lag on galaxy... encouraging indeed.

I don't know if you've played with an Android device before, but apps HAVE to open within 5 seconds. If they don't they get zapped by the built-in Application Manager and that would be why you get the "Force Close". It encourages developers to make snappy and responsive apps. I know this cause I've been trying to develop and app and its not as easy as I hoped it would be.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm shocked with how bad the pre has gotten to loading apps. They included that animation to cover up the time it takes to load the apps, but the maps app now takes forever. I was playing with my gf's pre and it takes forever (no, I'm not allowed to even put her's in developer mode). I'm so glad Sprint let me switch phones without penalty.

Ya, the maps app for some reason has become ridiculous. It downloads the whole app from googles servers every time you open it, and I guess google just has it on a slow computer and they don't care.

I use YPMobile instead, which uses bing maps and loads quickly. Not really a direct google maps alternative, but between that and sprint nav, it works out. Actually, for the past few months most of the time I just use my iPad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress