So the concensus is that TouchWiz can be disabled?

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah I guess that's what you get when you have "bloggers" do product reviews.

A bunch of hacks.

These experts of nothing, simple consumers are not suitable for product reviews requiring moderate technical knowledge.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
yeah I guess that's what you get when you have "bloggers" do product reviews.

A bunch of hacks.

These experts of nothing, simple consumers are not suitable for product reviews requiring moderate technical knowledge.

Why don't the companies ask someone from the forums to do it? I know Phil does a review and his are excellent, but besides Phonedog and AndroidCentral, the reviews seem to be garbage (with the exception of Engadget that is only adequate).

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Why don't the companies ask someone from the forums to do it? I know Phil does a review and his are excellent, but besides Phonedog and AndroidCentral, the reviews seem to be garbage (with the exception of Engadget that is only adequate).

Did any of them reveal/discover this important fact of this phone? or did they just do stupid unboxing segments(talking about the fancy ear buds), and dedicate half a paragraph on the USB door?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
For the record, Phil stated over and over that you could use the launcher of your choice, and that he didn't understand why people get so upset over Touchwiz.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For the record, Phil stated over and over that you could use the launcher of your choice, and that he didn't understand why people get so upset over Touchwiz.

I agree with him. Not only is Touchwiz not that big of a problem, but he did state that you can change the launcher to another one.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree with him. Not only is Touchwiz not that big of a problem, but he did state that you can change the launcher to another one.

I see. .then he be a competent reviewer.

From all of the reviews out there the pictured painted on the industry was why would these manufactures lock you into their custom skin.. and that vanilla android would be awesome on the Epic 4G... what a joke

aristarchus

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just followed the directions on mine and disabled Touchwiz. Honestly, I don't think touchwiz is that bad at all, but it is really, really easy to disable it following the instructions in the video.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Here is/was the confusion: at the time of the pre-release review, the method of replacing TouchWiz was unclear:

1) Run launcher of your choice. Yes, it replaces or runs on top of Touchwiz, but TW is still running in the background. This is a system hog on slower handhelds and no one knew if it'd be a problem on the Epic.

2) Kill TW and change the default. Like in the posted video (thank you for the link). It was unclear if that method was available on the pre-release demo units that journalists got their hands on.

What is still unclear from the posted video is whether or not this method sticks after a reboot, and if it will still be around after the first update. Also still unclear is if we'll need root to remove TW or make the configuration change survive a reboot.

Still, very good news and thanks for sharing. Monkeying with launchers is my second-favorite thing to do behind monkeying with task killers.

--Qfg

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I see. .then he be a competent reviewer.

From all of the reviews out there the pictured painted on the industry was why would these manufactures lock you into their custom skin.. and that vanilla android would be awesome on the Epic 4G... what a joke

Vanilla would look interesting (in a good way) that's for sure.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
LauncherPro Plus is freaking awesome! I get the little screen jump with a pinch on a home screen just like the Evo and I can resize my widgets! Man, that dev is a genius! With Beautiful Weather, this phone becomes even awesomer (I know not a word)!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon01