Samsung Epic Guides, FAQs & Known Issues - Please Read Before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The following are frequently asked questions within the Epic 4G forum. This page will be updated frequently, and suggestions are welcomed. Please PM an Admin or one of the forum Mods if you have a suggestion or would like to add additional content.

Please note: There are specific forums for accessories, ROM's/Hacks, and applications. For everyone's benefit, please post in the correct forum, and search before you start a new thread.

Documentation:

1. User Guide.

2. Sprint Support.

Popular Discussions:

1. Task Managers - Please Read This!.

2. WiFi Tethering.

3. Wallpapers, Ringtones, and Themes & Where to store custom notification sounds & ringtones.

4. Problems adding/syncing a second GMail account? Try the beginner fix or the advanced fix

5. Best apps & Favorite music apps.

6. Write/read reviews.

7. If I exchange/replace my Epic for a new one, will everything be transferred over?

9. Sync with iTunes via WiFi.

10. Other iTunes synching methods.

12. Converting movies using DVD Catalyst <- My personal favorite or Handbrake.

13. Removing pre-installed apps/bloatware: You will need root access to remove apps. You can easily hide apps, from the app drawer, by using a 3rd party launcher such as LauncherPro <- A personal favorite!

14. Known/common issues.

15. Clear current launcher from default: go to settings > applications > manage applications > click the menu soft key > select filter > select all > scroll to & select current launcher (e.g., Home, LauncherPro, or TwLauncher) and click the clear defaults button. When you click the click Home button you will now have the option of selecting an available launcher from the list.

16. I have loaded a 3rd party SMS program (e.g., Handcent or Chomp). I am not getting double notifications for text messages. How do I stop this. Open the default SMS app > select the menu button soft key > click settings > scroll to and uncheck the display notifications in the status bar option.

17. I'm disappointed in the Epic's battery life. What can I do to help this?

• Enable 4G only when necessary - this technology seems to suck up more battery than 3G.
  • Opt for WiFi instead of 3G - WiFi requires less energy to run.
  • Set brightness to the lowest level tolerable.
  • If syncing with Exchange - try turning off sync during times that you are near a laptop or workstation that is also syncing with exchange. You can use the local sync-plugin to automatically detect certain conditions (e.g., location) and turn off synchronization accordingly.
  • Disable Bluetooth and GPS if not in use.
  • Use the Samsung task manager to end programs that are no longer in use.
  • Purchase an extra battery and battery only charger to keep your Epic up and running while on the go.
  • Disable haptic feedback and vibrating notifications for email and text messaging.

18. I've installed LauncherPro and I know longer see the Samsung Widgets. What gives? You currently cannot access these widgets via 3rd party launchers. Look for alternatives in the Market.

19. I use the built in email app to synchronize with Exchange & the font is HUGE. I cannot find a setting to adjust the font size. What can I do? There's an Exchange email app called Touchdown. It's available in the market. It's well worth the money and provides additional features you will not see in the stock app. One of them being the ability to adjust font size.

20. How to perform a hard reset:
To perform a reset on the Samsung Epic 4G, you need the following procedure: On the home screen, tap on Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset. Enter the password & confirm by pressing Yes

21. How can I disable to lock screen? There's a free app in the market called "No Lock". Download and install.

22. GPS issues.

If you do not see an answer to your question above, please use the SEARCH feature of the forums, to look for a solution, before starting a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.