Battery issue update.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Please advise of your Battery Usage stats. It's truly amazing that you are getting nearly 16hrs of having your phone on and only using 22% of your battery power. Describe your moderate usage. Thank you.

Took the phone off the charger today at 7:30AM to leave for work and below is what my usuage stats are currently showing and my battery is showing 81% remaining as of now.

Voice Calls 34% - 47m 18s
Cell Standby 27% Time On 12h 26m 32s, Time without signal 0%
Phone Idle 19%
Display 18%
Android System 2%

I also sent about 30 texts during late morning, checked my MSN mail 3 times in the afternoon, played with the app store to show one of my colleagues some stuff in there, used google search a few times.

This is lighter than a normal days use, I'm usually on the web a lot more or playing some games but then again I don't really start playing with the phone until I get out of the office so the phone normally remains dormant from about 7:30AM until about 7:00PM unless I make a few calls during the say or send some texts.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm at exactly 18 hours off the charger with my normal usage and with the workaround and also updating to DI18, i am still at 30%.

This is awesome.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a huge feeling that perhaps some people are getting really good batteries while the majority are getting the not so good ones. QC should of been high for Sammy on this one!

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Johnny Hotsauce, which version of awesomeness are you on. The DRM kill, or the wifi never sleep version?

I'm running the DRM kill, my wifi is set to sleep with screen off, as it always was from the factory and I am having the BEST day so far. 66% remaining, 16hrs off charger.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
OKAY EVERYONE STOP.

Just do this.. it fixed the non-sleep issue for me and many others..

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/38046-possible-battery-drain-workaround.html

OR wait, for the update to hit your phone, which I'm sure does the same thing.
Why would I STOP????

Not bagging on your fix but I am happy where I am, with wifi sleeping at screen off as it comes stock and still lasting over 24hrs on a charge. Some may be different than others, use what works for you.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Johnny Hotsauce, which version of awesomeness are you on. The DRM kill, or the wifi never sleep version?

I'm running the DRM kill, my wifi is set to sleep with screen off, as it always was from the factory and I am having the BEST day so far. 66% remaining, 16hrs off charger.

Same exact level of awesomeness as you! I'm at 66% remaining right now with 17h19m4s off the charger, not too shabby!

snarf77

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
after update i and the various tweaks around here i was in a mall where the signal sucks so i was at 25% tws and surfing web receiving emails texting with some widgets and it lasted a good 10 hrs i plugged in at 12% alot better than before

Bryan87

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Applying these tips and tricks I was able to squeeze out a lil over 11 hrs, that was with, texting moderately, a few phone calls, angry birds and email and the web for a bit, also having darker backgrounds help because it doesnt take any power for having black on the screen :) looking forward to getting almost 20 hrs !!!!

Darklite

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
use Advance Task killer

I also use advance task killer app on top of using task manager from the epic. For some reason there are still services running in the background. ever since then I get about 15 hours of battery life with moderate use.

I also realize that if I keep my system ram before 200mb its not constantly running the battery down.

Hope this helps.

Bryan87

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Update: As I have been told, and have seen on different forums, leaving Wifi ON coupled with the sleep policy to NEVER actually GREATLY increases battery life, I went to bed at 3amish and woke up around 1130 and my battery was down to ONLY 80% WOW! What a difference I know 3g would have been way worse, cant wait to further test these results, Im probably going to use wifi as MUCH as possible only when I dont have it will I turn it off, maybe I can get that 20 hrs now :)

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Always ON?

I will try this, but I am confused (my natural state). I don't have Wireless turned on. Is this just a fix for an Epic bug similar to turning Airport Mode On/Off?

arewin

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Question,

I just somehow came across the Task Mgr that is apparently native to the Epic. It lists 6 steps to conserve battery life.

#1 Says to use the "Back" key to end running apps. Is the Back key the U-turn arrow at the bottom of the phone? I've used this button to go back to a previous screen, but I don't think it always closes an app. When I go to ATK I usually see that the App that I got out of is still active. Can anyone help me on this one?

#2 instructs me to "Check out the "Program Monitor" widget periodically to find out apps running in the background and close them". What/where is this Program Monitor? Is this an app that I need to download?

Thanks

arewin

mfmseth

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Question,

I just somehow came across the Task Mgr that is apparently native to the Epic. It lists 6 steps to conserve battery life.

#1 Says to use the "Back" key to end running apps. Is the Back key the U-turn arrow at the bottom of the phone? I've used this button to go back to a previous screen, but I don't think it always closes an app. When I go to ATK I usually see that the App that I got out of is still active. Can anyone help me on this one?

#2 instructs me to "Check out the "Program Monitor" widget periodically to find out apps running in the background and close them". What/where is this Program Monitor? Is this an app that I need to download?

1.You use your task manger to stop this app from running in the background, however people have found not closing app that are just going to be use again is a smarter move that closing the app since alot of the app will just restart again draining even more batter life.

2.The Program Monitor that built into touchwiz( your home screen) can be checkout in one of two ways. First a long press of your home key and picking task manger. Or by add the Program Monitor widgets found in the Samsung widgets menu.

Bryan87

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Final Update: At around 7pm my battery FINALLY died. so that from 3am is about 16 hrs, with keeping wifi on most of the time, so im REALLY excited about doing this on a day to day basis :)

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
mfmseth,

Thanks for explaining how to get the Program Monitor. But of course I have a more questions. Does this widget use more battery than ATK? And with this widget is there a reason to have ATK?

arewin

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
mfmseth,

Thanks for explaining how to get the Program Monitor. But of course I have a more questions. Does this widget use more battery than ATK? And with this widget is there a reason to have ATK?

arewin

No reason to have ATK when using the stock program manager and I have never seen it make a dent in my battery.

Reactions: arewin

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Phone Unplugged for 9 hours, 20% battery left:

Display 61% (2 hr, 7m)
Cell Standby 15% (Time without a signal 0%)
Phone Idle 9%
Android System 4%
Browser 4% (13mins CPU usage)
AppBrain 2%
Android OS 2%

Had a good amount of texts, no phone calls. A good deal of web browsing and overall playing with the phone, a tiny bit of gaming. Obviously my display was on a ton.

Any opinion on how my battery is? Over 2 hours display killed it obviously, is this on par with others? Thanks.

arewin

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Mike77,

I have noticed that after using Program Mgr to turn off the 1 or 2 items (not sure if they are apps or programs, but anyway) that ATK still shows other apps to be killed. My guess is that the apps shown by ATK are "available" but probably not running. But if the battery isn't an issue I'll keep them both for awhile.

arewin

Reactions: Mike77

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Mike77,

I have noticed that after using Program Mgr to turn off the 1 or 2 items (not sure if they are apps or programs, but anyway) that ATK still shows other apps to be killed. My guess is that the apps shown by ATK are "available" but probably not running. But if the battery isn't an issue I'll keep them both for awhile.

arewin

I have seen that too as I have played with ATK. I question whether those programs are really running in the background (the ones ATK shows that the stock Task Manager does not). Alot of what seems are knowegeable experienced droid users and Epic owners seem adamant that the stock task manager is much better then ATK, and that ATK and programs like it create more problems then they cure. I am new to droid, just have done a ton of reading of late on it.

Reactions: arewin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capcut pro apk download