Sprint Navigation Severely slow to load address compared to PRE and other phones

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use to love Sprint navigation cause it was so super fast on the PRE and every other phone I ever had however ever since I came to android using the EVO and EPIC, on both these phones when I load Sprint Nav it takes forever to log in and than when you put an address and it says getting route it literally goes one percent at a time n takes FOREVER to load n by that time its too late if your driving, what cripples it on these phones as compared to every other sprint phone?

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I understand that but that doesn't answer WHY is sprint nav on these android phones SO slow to load to route n log in? btw is there a way to always have street view?

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea I noticed this just now... when I first got my Epic sprint nav was a lot snappier it finds results fast but once u need to navigate its 1% at a time wierd. I think it just needs to be optimized for the Epic I think updates will come just like on the Pre to fix this!

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The weird thing is it was never ever slow on the PRE or any other phone i only noticed this when I got the evo and now the epic and I mean it is slow beyond imagination to load

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I use to love Sprint navigation cause it was so super fast on the PRE and every other phone I ever had however ever since I came to android using the EVO and EPIC, on both these phones when I load Sprint Nav it takes forever to log in and than when you put an address and it says getting route it literally goes one percent at a time n takes FOREVER to load n by that time its too late if your driving, what cripples it on these phones as compared to every other sprint phone?

Sounds like it might be affected by the Epic's underlying problems with the device-level GPS. (Computing a route needs not only the destination, but the current location.)

Have you tried running other geographic apps, such as Google Maps? Or tried utilities GPS Test or GPS Status?

If it is the GPS, we are awaiting a fix from Samsung and Sprint. Meanwhile, there is a workaround.

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No its not an epic issue and its not blazing fast on the EVO, I have tried it on 14 different EVOs new and used, and again im specifically talking about the time it takes when it says "getting route"..

Further more google nav works just fine and super fast so I know this is specific to Sprint Nav on Android or at least these two phones

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used sprint nav since i had the pre... and even then, it was useless cause it used up more energy than you could charge with the car charger. You couldn't use maps after one of the updates because it took like 5 minutes to load... just aweful. I don't miss that featureless piece of crap at all.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
No its not an epic issue and its not blazing fast on the EVO, I have tried it on 14 different EVOs new and used, and again im specifically talking about the time it takes when it says "getting route"..

Further more google nav works just fine and super fast so I know this is specific to Sprint Nav on Android or at least these two phones

Do you mean the part where the bar is loading with percentage? That part is pretty slow. I see what you mean. I misunderstood. Once it locks on though, it's fast.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used sprint nav since i had the pre... and even then, it was useless cause it used up more energy than you could charge with the car charger. You couldn't use maps after one of the updates because it took like 5 minutes to load... just aweful. I don't miss that featureless piece of crap at all.

To each his own I guess... I never had any of these problems with Sprint Nav on my Pre... used it all the time in my car while charging and would consistently arrive at my destination at a full charge or higher than when I started (after not starting out full)...

I too have noticed that it's a bit slower to boot up and load routes on my Epic, but I guess I just attributed it to the GPS acquisition... I loved me so Sprint Nav on my Pre and had high hopes for it on the Epic with the snapper GPU and bigger screen, but I find myself using Google Nav (or whatever it's called) more nowadays...

fareal

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to save addresses with Google Nav on the Epic? I have many saved on Sprint Nav on my Pre. Use it all the time. Thinking about making the move to Epic.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised to see this thread... my Pre was slow as crap with sprint nav... my epic is much faster...

Sprint Navigation was super fast on my Pre. It found the routes in no time and it was really accurate but on the Epic it takes forever.