Do you feel Epic's dialer/phone app is lacking?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
For me, it takes way too many taps to dial a number through Epic's default dialer app. After tapping the contact's info into the app's T9 style keyboard, it still usually does not show the contact on top, and I have to click the little icon in the right side of the screen to show other search results, then tap on the contact, then finally tap on one of his phone numbers even though I want his mobile number to be default. This sometimes become 5-7 taps before I get the number dialed.

When the new call comes in and phone is in my jeans pocket facing my leg, while I pull the phone out, many a times somehow it swipes the contact picture in the middle towards the corner of the screen, resulting in call getting answered or ignored before I even look at the screen. Personally I fell that the horizontal swipe to answer/ignore would have worked better.

Then going to call logs, it doesn't display the call duration, which is a info I find useful. But I really love the in-call screen though. It looks great and has all right buttons at right place.

As an alternative I found Dialer One app in market and it has become a dialer of choice for me. It's buttons are smaller but not too small, and contact search results show up nicely on the same screen and on a tap, number pad hides so you can scroll your call log or contact search results. Not free of quirks itself, but really nice dialer. Now, whatever I find important or cumbersome in stock phone app may not be an issues for you folks, but I still wanted to ask how do you like using Epic's phone app?

allhailcale

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Not a big fan of it. I (just yesterday) downloaded the Youlu app, which is light-years ahead of the Epic's standard contacts/call log/dialer app in almost every way. The search function is exactly what you want, the UI is fantastic, and the scroller on the right side is far superior. The only thing I don't like is that you can't pull all of your contacts into it. It only lets you pull one of your accounts into the contacts, which stinks. If anyone knows a workaround to that, I'm all ears.

Reactions: Marshmallow713

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
the whole call duration thing is not a big deal to me. although it would be nice to be suppiorted in the long click menu.

the one thing that i absolutely hate about the stupid phone "app" is that the contacts is in a whole different "app"
i think its fine that they have two different apps like the iphone, but it should not have to open the whole new app when clicking the "phone" to call and then hitting contacts to find someone.
its not too big a deal but it is annoying.

the dialer itself i dont mind.

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Not a big fan of it. I (just yesterday) downloaded the Youlu app, which is light-years ahead of the Epic's standard contacts/call log/dialer app in almost every way. The search function is exactly what you want, the UI is fantastic, and the scroller on the right side is far superior. The only thing I don't like is that you can't pull all of your contacts into it. It only lets you pull one of your accounts into the contacts, which stinks. If anyone knows a workaround to that, I'm all ears.

I downloaded Youlu yesterday after reading this post and I'm really digging it. The only issue I have with it is its split up some of my contacts and there appears to be no option to combine contacts or information like there is in the default contacts app. Do you know how to do this?

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I like how featured it is, but yes, too many taps. What's the point of me selecting a default number if it never dials it automatically?

Youlu seems interesting. Just send an email to the developer about the multiple contacts issue. Weird you have to go into settings and choose "Switch account" to use other contact lists.

keekah

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that the call duration thing is a sprint issue. My palm pre never showed this info until I installed a patch for it.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
No, the call duration DOES get recorded in the underlying database somewhere, just not being shown. I know this because I installed Dialer One phone app, and when it pulled my call log, it showed the call duration of all the calls previously made. Which tells me that the call duration gets logged, just not displayed in the default call log.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I hardly use the the dialer, I just use universal search to find my contacts, and the occasional usage I have had with the actual dialer app, it has been sufficient for my needs, input numbers and connect.