Samsung Epic Really Hot and Swollen Battery

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so today was no different then any other with my Epic I pulled it off of charge when i went in to work.

I used it a fair amount about 6pm i was at 64% and all was good about 7 pm I noticed that the phone was getting hot in my pocket (front shirt pocket) I took it out and too look and the phone was Not on and would not power on.

I thought to my self Great this is the last thing I need I turned it over and noticed the battery cover was distorted a fair amount and unlatched were it sits over the battery I pulled it off and the battery was sitting there pushing out further and further by the second At this point I started to freak out yanked it out and it was Fing hot I tossed it on the floor (Tile Floor) and it grew about another 1/2 inch or so before making a hissing sound and white smoke like stuff shot out and that was it... :(

So what in the hell would cause something like this to happen? I took it to sprint ran a back up with one of there battery's and made them give me a brand new phone and battery.

I at this point am getting real close to just reactivating my Pre I have never had anything like this happen before it was rather freaky ordeal...

And I don't care to here flaming from not having any pics... I did not have a chance to take any sorry...

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a bad battery, probably just defective from the factory.

Ya that's for sure :( but dont they have built in safety to prevent this kind of internal short? I guess that's the only way this could happen? I am sure it would have burnt me if i did not notice it before it vented...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A battery is supposed to store chemical potential energy, and convert it to electrical energy and some heat. If the battery was defective it's possible the ratio was off, converting much more of it's energy to heat and only a little to electrical energy. At least you didn't get hurt.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
A battery is supposed to store chemical potential energy, and convert it to electrical energy and some heat. If the battery was defective it's possible the ratio was off, converting much more of it's energy to heat and only a little to electrical energy. At least you didn't get hurt.

Thanks and ya I guess that makes sense have you ever had a battery puff up on you? I have seen them after sitting a very long time have a little bit of puff to them but nothing like this... I also bought a hip case for my epic i dont want it sitting next to my chest any more...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've never seen a battery do that - but I see how it's possible. I also see why you wouldn't want to keep your Epic too close after that :eek:

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've never seen a battery do that - but I see how it's possible. I also see why you wouldn't want to keep your Epic too close after that :eek:

O wow you should do a youtube search for this sort of thing guess it happens more then i thought...

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In market install an app call battery status.. then turn on battery health in settings.

That way you could check your battery health at a glance. I don't know how your phone work - but the EVO flashes a amber light when the battery is overheating.