So I'm wondering...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating what to do about replacing my Sprint Evo 4g (original, not LTE). I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Nexus S, the EVO LTE, or just keeping my existing phone for a while longer. I understand the Nexus and "pure" Android thing, as opposed to the various "enhanced" (and I use the term loosely) skins that other phones have.

What I'm not certain of is why I should want the "pure" Android phone. The Evo seems to offer some nice features that the Nexus doesn't, as well as some not so great features, I'll admit. What is the real advantage of the Nexus if I'm *not* interested in playing with lots of different ROMs? I assume Jelly Bean will be available on the Evo before to much longer, so that's only a minor advantage of the Nexus, I think.

One more question: The Android Central review mentions radio problems with both 3G and Wi-Fi. How common is that problem?

Many thanks.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
hi. i think i remember you from the old Treo forums. i went from the old Palm PDAs to the Treos to the Centro to the OG EVO and now to the Galaxy Nexus - so our upgrade paths might be similar.

i love my G-Nex and stock Android -

1. no skins or bloatware to hog resources or fight through and take over your device. i'm a minimalist and i hate clutter so this is very important to me and it's very refreshing.
2. fastest updates to latest OS vs. all other Android phones. we had Jelly Bean soon after official release. many are still waiting.
3. more "future proof" vs. all other Android phones since you have a great chance of getting the latest OS on your "old" smartphone. look at the Nexus S - old phone but has gotten a few OS upgrades.

i don't Root or ROM - no time or interest to do so.

i have no problems with 3G or WIFI on my G-Nex. i love it best phone i've ever owned.

if i was you - my only decision would be - should i get the G-Nex OR should i/can i wait the ~6 months until the 2013 Nexus comes to "my" carrier.

i personally will only buy Nexus devices from now on if i can help it.

good luck!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Gekko. Yes, I remember you from TreoCentral. I didn't do the Centro, though. I do sometimes miss the simplicity of the Treo. But not very often. :)

One more question, if you know. Does the Nexus have an email app that fully supports Exchange Active Sync, including calendar and contact sync?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes the Galaxy Nexus stock Android (ICS or JB) comes with a stock "Email" app which allows you to easily connect to Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) servers for Mail/Contacts/Calendar and many other types of email protocols as well.

kbot1226

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I just replaced my trusty old Evo 4g with a Galaxy Nexus, and lets just say its the best phone I have ever seen or used. I love the pure Android experience. The camera although technically three megapixels lower than the Evo shoots some amazing photos, and great video for a phone. I had debated switching to an iPhone 5 , but in the end the Galaxy Nexus blows it away.

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I too had the og evo. My daughter has the gnex and loves it. I decided to get the new evo lte and couldn't be happier. Camera is great, light and battery is excellent. I like the idea of the pure android but the hardware is a little behind the current curve. That said if everything works who cares.

drewood31601

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
hi. i think i remember you from the old Treo forums. i went from the old Palm PDAs to the Treos to the Centro to the OG EVO and now to the Galaxy Nexus - so our upgrade paths might be similar.

i love my G-Nex and stock Android -

1. no skins or bloatware to hog resources or fight through and take over your device. i'm a minimalist and i hate clutter so this is very important to me and it's very refreshing.
2. fastest updates to latest OS vs. all other Android phones. we had Jelly Bean soon after official release. many are still waiting.
3. more "future proof" vs. all other Android phones since you have a great chance of getting the latest OS on your "old" smartphone. look at the Nexus S - old phone but has gotten a few OS upgrades.

i don't Root or ROM - no time or interest to do so.

i have no problems with 3G or WIFI on my G-Nex. i love it best phone i've ever owned.

if i was you - my only decision would be - should i get the G-Nex OR should i/can i wait the ~6 months until the 2013 Nexus comes to "my" carrier.

i personally will only buy Nexus devices from now on if i can help it.

good luck!

I agree . Nexus only for now on...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The biggest advantages to a Nexus is pure Android, fastest updates, and easily unlocked. If those things aren't a big deal to you, then you'll probably be more than happy with something else.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I am a recent convert to Android from BB. and I could not be happier with my GNex. my kids have had android phones for years but until the Gnex and ICS I was not tempted (And now with Jelly Bean). I intend to stay with Nexus devices. I like the pure android experience and any features I want that pure android does not have can usually be added with free apps like Widgetsoid.

You should look at what features you like on your Evo and see if they can be replicated on a Gnex with apps like widgetsoid, etc.

Unless you are referring to hardware features.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana