Galaxy Note 2 or LG Optimus G

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
First its not a slam dunk that Sprint gets the LG Optimus G....

I am a SGS2 user with upgrade eligbility right now. Its really down to 2 phones for me as stated above.

I like both of these phones a lot. The things I value most in a phone are camera performance, battery life, smoothness and software support.

I dont necessarily need 5.5 inches (thats what she said) but its nice. I have no use for the s-pen and probably will never use it. Im not artsy fartsy and I dont draw or write on my phone. I do like the battery of the Note 2 and im sure it is fast and smooth. Its going to have great software support because its a sammy but I wonder if the camera is on par with my SGS2. I do not want a phone with a camera thats worse than my current one (and no im not going to any windows phone).

The LG has a perfect size screen IMO and from what I see of the UI on videos it looks very smooth and polished with some features I will use (note feature and the video in the background feature). The battery is sealed and dissappointing however its not your normal battery LI ION. The camera touts lots of yummy megapixels tho less mp with better processing software is always better. And of course its LG and they have a history of being crappy updaters. With that said if they ever want to stay in the smartphone market they will have to turn that view around and there needs to be a first phone that is followed through on. I believe this phone to be that one for LG. The lack of an SD card balows as well. Oh and quad core phone means a smoother phone overall and you get the ability to run as many cores as you want!

I know this is a Note 2 forum but all things equal, which would YOU want!??

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So you have ruled out the S3? I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm considering the S3 as I can have that it now. I have an evo3D and I am ready to upgrade now. I haven't gotten it yet because the Note 2 and Optimus G are on the horizon. Is the Note 2 to big? Then I should get the S3 now because I would likely take the Note 2 over the Optimus. But, I don't have tiny hands, so perhaps I should wait on the Note 2. The S3 can be had for $99. The Note 2 will likely be $299 and the Optimus $199. Money is always an issue with me. So fustrating! Kinda wish I was an Iphone fan so I wouldn't have any choices.

TheKISSarmy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
If the Note 2 is too big for you, I agree with Junior, that you should look at the S3 too. You said you'd never use the S-Pen, but you should watch some videos of the new functionality that they've given the pen and it may change your mind (i.e. hover feature to use it as a mouse, etc.). I have the Note now and absolutely LOVE IT!

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Note2 is not for everyone so imo you should wait but also test them out if you can. On Sprint your allow 14 days now so test the Note2 out and if its not for you i would go with the GS3. I for one am on my last premier upgrade this year so I'm looking for that 2 year phone for me. The note offers so much that no other phone does and I'm a Sammy fan. the GS3 was my first choice but wasn't allowed to push my upgrade up so i'll get it for my wife. If you can swing into a ATT or Tmobile store and check out the first note feel it in the hands and see if you really don't mind the BIG screen.

arrana

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm fighting with this same issue. I definitely want to get one of these two phones. I'm still rocking my original Evo 4G. I love the huge screen, large battery, and stylus of the Note 2, but the G is offering a better screen, stronger processor and awesome multitasking features.

Also I here putting custom ROMs on the Exynos SoC is a real issue. The only reason I was able to keep my Evo so long was because of ROMs.

My guess my 2 most important factors in my decision is how much better is the S4 pro over the Exynos and if custom ROMs really don't work on the Exynos.

Does anyone have any info on these 2 issues.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
S3 is out for me. I have the S2 and while I like it I am looking to change it up a bit. Plus its not future proof. Its got great specs right now but next year it will be old news, as will most phones. I dont think that can be said about the Note 2 with its Quad Core and 3100mA battery. I have no problem dropping $199 or even $299 on a phone because its such an integral part of everyday life. I have medium sized hands so thats going to be the tell all. I keep watching all the reviews of both of these phones. Im leaning towards the Note 2 because of the battery life but that LG phone is just calling to me. I just watched some reviews with he S-Pen and while I wont use it often, I can see the benefit. Im wondering if it has a note feature like the LG phone that allows you to add a note over whatever screen is open. I like that especially when you need to write something down quick.

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
S3 is out for me. I have the S2 and while I like it I am looking to change it up a bit. Plus its not future proof. Its got great specs right now but next year it will be old news, as will most phones. I dont think that can be said about the Note 2 with its Quad Core and 3100mA battery. I have no problem dropping $199 or even $299 on a phone because its such an integral part of everyday life. I have medium sized hands so thats going to be the tell all. I keep watching all the reviews of both of these phones. Im leaning towards the Note 2 because of the battery life but that LG phone is just calling to me. I just watched some reviews with he S-Pen and while I wont use it often, I can see the benefit. Im wondering if it has a note feature like the LG phone that allows you to add a note over whatever screen is open. I like that especially when you need to write something down quick.

You can open up the note app on top of any screen at any time, or you can long press with the Spen and it will take a screenshot that you can immediately crop and take notes on.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the original EVO 4G then moved to Photon 4G and I am looking forward for Galaxy Note 2
I tried few Sammy phones over the years but I always had issues (very bad reception, cheap parts...)
I am ready to give it another try with GN2

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Always had lg non smartphones and then I jumped to an Echo for my first Android phone and it left a lot to be desired, so I grabbed a used evo and I've never wanted anything different until I held a friends note. And I was hooked. It's screen is massive but for my hands still comfortable to me. I MUST have the note 2.

Evil Evo

dkositsky

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I have an original Evo 4g and it is on its last legs. The mini USB port is broken and I am exchanging batteries now every 2 to three times a day. I am looking forward to getting either a new Note 2 or the LG optimist G. Since I wish to have the phone for over two years, I want a phone that will eventually be up graded and supported. I want to be able to use it as a tablet, a camera and a phone and want to be able to use it internationally. I have several concerns first about the relative chip set performance of these phones, I have read that the new snapdragon s4 pro quad core is one of the best and most sophisticated integrated chip-set available. the performance testing seems to blow out all the current chips. Then the upgrade factor of these two phones will the G ever make it to Android 4.2 will the note 2 ever make it there as well. My concern is that LG seems to have a bad rep on upgrading their products and Samsung has customized the note 2 to such an extent that I fear an upgrade will never be made. Has the original note been up graded? Finally, what about getting access to the Sim cards in either of these phones? Sprint seems to have a policy of you not being able to use their phones out of state. Do I need to go to another carrier such as T Mobile? Does any one have ideas or more information on any of these concerns?

dkositsky

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have many of the same concerns. how does the Exynos quad core chip stack up to the S4 pro Snapdragon where I understand the LTE radio and graphics chips are totally integrated thus using less power and increasing performance. I read an extensive review of this on Toms Hardware but it compared other chip sets not Samsung's Exynos Quad core.

dkositsky

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm fighting with this same issue. I definitely want to get one of these two phones. I'm still rocking my original Evo 4G. I love the huge screen, large battery, and stylus of the Note 2, but the G is offering a better screen, stronger processor and awesome multitasking features.

Also I here putting custom ROMs on the Exynos SoC is a real issue. The only reason I was able to keep my Evo so long was because of ROMs.

My guess my 2 most important factors in my decision is how much better is the S4 pro over the Exynos and if custom ROMs really don't work on the Exynos.

Does anyone have any info on these 2 issues.

I have many of the same concerns. how does the over clocked Exynos quad core chip stack up to the S4 pro Snapdragon where I understand the LTE radio and graphics chips are totally integrated thus using less power and increasing performance. I read an extensive review of this on Toms Hardware but it compared older chip sets not Samsung's Exynos over clocked Quad core. My understanding is that the Mali-400MP GPU is getting old and there are new chips coming very soon to replace it. So if this is the case, would we be better off to wait on the note 2 and get the newest chip set with the G. plus my other issue is if either of these manufacturers will be up dating the OS. LG is rumored to be bringing the next Nexus phone out and Samsung has customized the note so much that I wonder if they will be upgrading it either.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I to am torn between these phones I have an EVO LTE but am currently able to upgrade so I don't know if I should pick up the note and spend an extra 100 bucks, or get the Optimus g and buy a case. I'm pretty sure the note will be supported better from Sammy. But if the optimus is easily hacked I may be able to flash ported nexus 4 roms. I think ultimately it will come down to size and ease of use, after trying the original note I don't think ill be able to use the note with one hand while holding my 3 month old. But another big factor is the camera from the shots I've seen looks like the LG software leaves a lot to be desired. I'm looking for a device that will last me for two years and on paper both of these are winners. Wonder if they make capacitive pens compatible with the LG

eurominican

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Subscribed to thread. Keep opinions coming! I for one was (am?) torn between the two but settled for the note2. All my concerns and reservations have been previously stated on this thread.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest issue in your choice is about software and camera. Both will have great hardware and screens but IMO the Note 2's software is miles ahead of the Optimus. LG is playing catch up in their skinned software. Samsung is the leader. Plus although the camera is 13 MP on the LG, Jerry H just did a review of the camera in some really controlled conditions and it definitely didn't blow me away. http://www.androidcentral.com/test-sprint-optimus-g-camera

The Samsung cameras have been solid since the sgs2 so my choice would be the Note 2 or sgs3 which is way ahead of the sgs2 in every way. But if you want an LG wait for the new LG Nexus to see how it looks.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely not a shortage of reviews on the Note 2, but this one sealed it for me. Definitely waiting on the Note 2 now.
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 preview: A closer look - GSMArena.com

Nice overview. One thing that caught my eye was the in the ending/summation comments. The author mentioned other competition coming in the phablet form factor. Any idea what that competition is/will be? Would the 5 inch HTC fall into this category? Anything else?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The HTC j butterfly with a 1080p screen will be coming to Verizon in December I think its going to have diff name though

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
LG phones have better build quality then Samsung but I rather stick with touchwiz for my whole contract then LGs ugly UI as far as Android updates go samsung has a better track record then LG so I'm pretty sure the note 2 will get Atleast the next two or three versions of andriod (4.2,5.0 5.1) as far as processor goes if you must have ROMs from the cm team I say wait for another phone with the quadcore s4 pro but I did read on the Samsung exynos twitter page they might releases the source code soon so you should look into that

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
And the original note is currently running ics and its supposed to get jelly bean