Planning on switching to Sprint and want Android experts opinions

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Planning on switching to Sprint and want Android experts opin

All the above is great and all, but none of it is better than going into a store and fondling them yourself. Compare the specs, read and watch the reviews, then haul your butt armed with that info into your favorite retailer and compare them side-by-side.

When Sprint releases its SGS2 variant, the best top-end Android devices will indeed be the EVO3D, Moto Photon and Galaxy SII (Epic Touch 4G or whatever it will be called). Pick one of those three based on your personal tastes and it will be hard to go wrong.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Right now the best Sprint phone available is the Motorola Photon (right out of the box).
Ive got a feeling you dont like htc lol.
Out of the box Photon Motoblob is a disgrace ., Benchmarks are lower & most importantly its Pixlen screen sucs.
Those are the basics I could keep on going but the above are enough to run away from Photon.

Last edited:

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

What lol
Ive got a feeling you dont like htc.
Out of the box Photon Motoblob is a disgrace ., Benchmarks are lower & most importantly its Pixlen screen sucs.

I love HTC. My favorite phone out of all of the phones that I have tried on Sprint is the HTC EVO Shift. The Photon is actually a pretty good phone. The pentile matrix screen does bother me a lot though. It has really good battery life and really good performance. The Photon's ghostblur does suck a big one, but it's a lot lighter than motoblur and it's still decent for the average user.
======
Speaking of performance, the Photon 4G is fast. It's almost as quick as our favorite speed demons, Samsung's Galaxy S II and HTC's EVO 3D (which are both clocked at a higher 1.2GHz). The combination of Gingerbread, 1GHz dual-core Tegra 2 processor and 1GB of RAM really shows its potential here -- everything from the UI to the web browser feels immediate and fluid. Our benchmarks reflect this, with Quadrant consistently scoring 2,300 to 2,700, Linpack (single-thread) returning 41 MFLOPS, Linpack (multi-thread) 63 MFLOPS, Nenamark 46.9fps, Nenamark2 23.4fps, Neocore 54.6fps and Sunspider finishing in a brief 4,105ms. These results clearly place the Photon near the top of the dual-core smartphone heap.
=======

That's from the engadget review.

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

That remains to be seen.
True
Theres a hack for that that keeps warranty in tact
US & European GS2 are not same device so who knows.
Both have quality roms HTC development has more...lets not forget about HTC releasing more kernels keeping EVO sharp. How long did it take for Epic GPS to get updates? A very long time , same is the case with Nexus radio issue.
Samung is slowwwwwww on maintenance
that remains to be seen
It will be much much bigger
US & European GS2 are not same device so who knows.
who uses more then 4GB lol Ever heard of "Apps to SD"
True
Megapixel hardware mean nothing as we found out on EVO & Epic pic quality comparison.
True except for the Horribly.
I found 3D content to look pretty good.

hehe no problem. I could do my own comparison but will wait till all device specs etc are released

Nena Innovation AB - NenaMark results
Is the SGS2 for Sprint. It will have Exynos. With the Exynos processor it will have better battery life. If the SGS2 from Sprint doesn't vary greatly as the Epic did, then it will easily have ported roms. Read Engadget's review of the SGS2 and it says that the only cell phone camera that is better than the SGS2 is the Nokia N9. How will the SGS2 be much bigger than the EVO 3D? The EVO 3D is a tank.

Dimensions:
Evo3D: 5.00 x 2.60 x 0.47 (127 x 66 x 12 mm)
GS2: 4.93 x 2.60 x 0.33 (125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49 mm)
Photon4G: 5.00 x 2.63 x 0.48 (126.9 x 66.9 x 12.2 mm)

Weight:
Evo3D: 6.00 oz (170 g)
GS2: 4.09 oz (116 g)
Photon4G: 5.57 oz (158 g)

Apps to SD won't even be needed with the SGS2's internal memory. Why have additional crap that you don't need?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Is the SGS2 for Sprint. It will have Exynos. With the Exynos processor it will have better battery life. If the SGS2 from Sprint doesn't vary greatly as the Epic did, then it will easily have ported roms. Read Engadget's review of the SGS2 and it says that the only cell phone camera that is better than the SGS2 is the Nokia N9. How will the SGS2 be much bigger than the EVO 3D? The EVO 3D is a tank.

Dimensions:

Weight:

Apps to SD won't even be needed with the SGS2's internal memory. Why have additional crap that you don't need?
Good question.
I'm old school SD card user....basically hooked on that holding my apps.
I think it comes from my ipaq 6515 & Treo 700wx days
I built apps that ran from sd card worked mortscript app development from it.
Some of my work :)
The first app that turned off WM Treo key lights.
http://forums.precentral.net/treo-700w-wx/137887-slinghann-treo-keylight.html

Last edited:

daboybk

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Dimensions:

Weight:

I love the comparisons and potential specs u guys are laying out there to describe these devices which makes for great decision.

cachorropedorro, slingbox and the rest of u guys I just wanna know regardless of which way I lean on the phone selection will any of u guys be able to show me how to root and install roms to get the best experience available and show me all essential apps.

Also, do u think the Nexus Prime will be coming over to Sprint soon? And what are the specs and etc. if there is any out there? Do u think it will be better than all phones mentioned above?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

cachorropedorro, slingbox and the rest of u guys I just wanna know regardless of which way I lean on the phone selection will any of u guys be able to show me how to root and install roms to get the best experience available and show me all essential apps.
We got ya covered

Also, do u think the Nexus Prime will be coming over to Sprint soon? And what are the specs and etc. if there is any out there? Do u think it will be better than all phones mentioned above?
Rumor has Prime arriving in 1stQ 2012 .
When it comes to its specs I haven't come across any but sure they will blow away current phones available , Nexus is a Gold device always gets the best

daboybk

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

We got ya covered

Rumor has Prime arriving in 1stQ 2012 .
When it comes to its specs I haven't come across any but sure they will blow away current phones available , Nexus is a Gold device always gets the best

Le'ts go!!!! I can't wait.

I also wonder how good google music will..

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

I love the comparisons and potential specs u guys are laying out there to describe these devices which makes for great decision.

Yeah we shouldn't have a problem. There are tons of awesome step by step guides done be some awesomely helpful people that we could link you to. I wish the Nexus Prime was coming soon. I've only heard the same rumors as Slingbox.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Sprint sucks

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk

Nice generalization.

Like with all carriers, it depends on where you live, and on who you may have gotten on the other end of a service call. In my area, I get great voice coverage, and my service experience with reps has always been excellent. Sprint is definitely behind on 4G expansion, especially where I live, but I personally don't give a hoot about 4G. I don't need it. Others do. Those people have a great choice for 4G .. VZW. Sprint will catch up eventually assuming they still exist by then.

Sprint is perfect for me because I get great voice coverage, good data coverage and speed when I need it, and the price can't be beat. Sorry but for me, Sprint doesn't suck.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Ouch! It has a Pentile screen.
I will take a pass on the Motorola Nexus

Yes but it's at a resolution of 1280x720. That's a 720p screen and I doubt you can see individuals pixels when you get to a resolution in that sort of area (4.6 inch screen is what people are guessing).

Edit: Did the PPI (read: Pixels per inch, not per square inch!) calculator and it came out around 319ppi.

Last edited:

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Yes but it's at a resolution of 1280x720. That's a 720p screen and I doubt you can see individuals pixels when you get to a resolution in that sort of area (4.6 inch screen is what people are guessing).

Edit: Did the PPI (read: Pixels per inch, not per square inch!) calculator and it came out around 319ppi.
Its reported as 4.5

BGR Quote:
Google’s third-generation “Nexus Prime” smartphone — which will likely be the first Android 4.0 “Ice Cream Sandwich” phone to hit the market — will launch in October according to a new report from Korean-language Electronic Times. BGR exclusively reported preliminary details surrounding Google’s next Nexus smartphone codenamed Nexus Prime in mid-June, and we followed up with more exclusive details later that month. This new report from Electronic Times reaffirms several specs we had reported earlier, such as the device’s 720p Super AMOLED HD display, and it narrows our fall release time frame to October. The report also claims that the Prime will be powered by a 1.5GHz processor, jibing with our earlier report stating the device would employ an OMAP4460 chipset. The site also notes that the Prime’s display will include a 4.5-inch panel with a PenTile layout.
End Quote.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Its reported as 4.5

BGR Quote:
Google?s third-generation ?Nexus Prime? smartphone ? which will likely be the first Android 4.0 ?Ice Cream Sandwich? phone to hit the market ? will launch in October according to a new report from Korean-language Electronic Times. BGR exclusively reported preliminary details surrounding Google?s next Nexus smartphone codenamed Nexus Prime in mid-June, and we followed up with more exclusive details later that month. This new report from Electronic Times reaffirms several specs we had reported earlier, such as the device?s 720p Super AMOLED HD display, and it narrows our fall release time frame to October. The report also claims that the Prime will be powered by a 1.5GHz processor, jibing with our earlier report stating the device would employ an OMAP4460 chipset. The site also notes that the Prime?s display will include a 4.5-inch panel with a PenTile layout.
End Quote.

so the PPI will go up ever so slightly.