Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch: Running HOT!

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, does my phone run hot! It's hot as an iron when being charged, and yesterday while on bluetooth in my car, I got out of the car to drop something off and put the phone to my ear (was mid conversation), and it nearly burnt my face/ear off! It was so hot, I had to end my phone call because I couldn't take the heat next to my skin.

What is up with that??

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
How long have you had your phone? Did you also notice if Bluetooth use makes it even hotter?

Bluetooth cause ZERO heat on my phone. I stream audiobooks in my car on my 40 minute drive to work and it doesn't heat up at all. I honestly think it's related to your signal issues Holly, not bluetooth.

Reactions: HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth cause ZERO heat on my phone. I stream audiobooks in my car on my 40 minute drive to work and it doesn't heat up at all. I honestly think it's related to your signal issues Holly, not bluetooth.
You know, I did wonder if that was it...but, I was driving on the highway and the signals out there are actually pretty good (including 4G reception) and about 4 bars on the 3G. Of course, it wouldn't remain that at all times during my call, I'm sure, as I was moving...but still, the other person could hear me fine the entire time. Also, no background apps running, because I'm OCD about turning those off.

So do you still think it's the reception...or did I get a lemon, or am I not meant to own this otherwise-awesome phone?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Lemon is a very good possibility. I'm actually surprised you haven't exchanged it yet.
Two reasons for that: 1) It's so customized to my liking with apps, etc., I was feeling lazy about an exchange. 2) I bought it from Sprint.com and have to mail it back and then after they get it, they'll reset my upgrade program, then I can buy another. Kind of a drag.

But at this point, I will do it. I already received the return kit. I'll try another one, just in case, but with all the people complaining of the same issue, I'm thinking it's likely not a lemon.

Those of you who got a phone that's actually working with reception/data are super lucky. If it wasn't for this issue....well, you know.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow, does my phone run hot! It's hot as an iron when being charged, and yesterday while on bluetooth in my car, I got out of the car to drop something off and put the phone to my ear (was mid conversation), and it nearly burnt my face/ear off! It was so hot, I had to end my phone call because I couldn't take the heat next to my skin.

What is up with that??

Same here!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine runs pretty cool gets a little warm during charging sometimes nothing alarming though.
My HP Ipaq 6550 , Treo 700p , Treo 700wx , BB Curve , BB 9630 , HTC EVO , HTC 3D got warm as well.

I find it amazing how cool this device runs really.
During my daily 2hr Tunein Radio use ET stays much cooler
then EVO & 3D did.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Two reasons for that: 1) It's so customized to my liking with apps, etc., I was feeling lazy about an exchange. 2) I bought it from Sprint.com and have to mail it back and then after they get it, they'll reset my upgrade program, then I can buy another. Kind of a drag.

But at this point, I will do it. I already received the return kit. I'll try another one, just in case, but with all the people complaining of the same issue, I'm thinking it's likely not a lemon.

Those of you who got a phone that's actually working with reception/data are super lucky. If it wasn't for this issue....well, you know.

It's worth a shot! If anything, it should narrow it down to either being THIS phone in YOUR area or it was a lemon after all. Getting the answer is well worth the hassle of an exchange in my opinion, especially if you like everything else about the device.

Reactions: HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It's worth a shot! If anything, it should narrow it down to either being THIS phone in YOUR area or it was a lemon after all. Getting the answer is well worth the hassle of an exchange in my opinion, especially if you like everything else about the device.
Thanks, I'll try it! :)

kryl8ter

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Lets put this topic to rest for good lol. The source of this issue has already been discovered and they are working on an update to fix it. The main cause of the "extreme" overheating, im not referring to the normal heat that comes from charging or using the phone for extended periods of time, im referring to the almost to hot to touch heat is being caused by the gps chip. It gets stuck in an infinite loop of checking for a location and causes tbe phone to start overheating. If you notice the main area getting hot besides the screen is an area about the size of a fifty cent peice on the back of the phone to the left of the galaxy sII logo. This is where the gps antenna/chip is sitting. If this happens shut your phone off till it cools diwn then reboot and make sure your gps is turned off and try not using apps that require gps. There is an update for the android system coming out soon to fix the gps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38