Video proof that this battery is HORRIBLE!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading every board regarding poor battery life because I have been getting 10% loss per hour while being unused consistently almost regardless of what I did or the conditions. I even contemplated switching phones. Location = Big Bear, CA

With zero changes to my phone, I traveled to Henderson, NV and somehow I'm averaging 1.5% per hour for the past two days.

Can anyone provide an explanation perhaps using the latest idea that the problem is stemming from a faulty kernel to explain my circumstances?

Sent from a Crapdroid in a beautiful bod

To me, this is a perfect example of signal related battery issues, which I think most users who experience poor battery performance on this phone suffer from. This is assuming nothing else changed on your phone of course, which I'm sure is the case. How is your signal in Big Bear? If it struggles, then there is your answer. If it doesn't, then that leans towards my theory that the firmware on this phone doesn't play nice with the scenario at certain Sprint cell towers. I don't know what the issue would be though. Maybe it's the software and/or hardware configuration at certain towers. Or maybe it's a function of towers being overcrowded, and our phone doesn't do a good job at negotiating for a spot on the tower in that scenario.

Whatever the case, I would contact Sprint. Do whatever you can to get moved up the support chain as high as you can go. Explain what you have observed with battery performance in Big Bear vs. Henderson, and see if you can get an explanation as to what is going on and if there's anything you can do to resolve the issue. If not, it simply may not be possible to own a E4GT in beautiful Big Bear (that's my regular ski location by the way when I can get up there).

Good luck!

Unklekeg

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I too was experiencing horrific battery life. I was draining about 50% in 3 hours. My phone was running hot. I was chasing processes and the usual suspects etc. I reset my phone and still no joy. So I took it in to the Sprint service store. Although my battery passed their basic test, the tech gave me his own battery to test, and ordered me a replacement phone. He said the battery tests are not the end all of diagnosis. Short story long.... it was the battery. I now seem to have an Epic 4G Touch that lasts all day with moderate use.. FINALLY!

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I too was experiencing horrific battery life. I was draining about 50% in 3 hours. My phone was running hot. I was chasing processes and the usual suspects etc. I reset my phone and still no joy. So I took it in to the Sprint service store. Although my battery passed their basic test, the tech gave me his own battery to test, and ordered me a replacement phone. He said the battery tests are not the end all of diagnosis. Short story long.... it was the battery. I now seem to have an Epic 4G Touch that lasts all day with moderate use.. FINALLY!

Ok this is the deal ..my phone was replaced as well but i can almost guarantee that your phone will drain again after 3 weeks ..I beginning to think that Samsung cheated us with alot cheap piece of crap battery that will not stand the test of a short time spand ..mine is back to horrible

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah very disappointing hopefully one day he will ask for help.
Screen shots would be a major key getting him on track

Ok here you go with my screenshot.. I didn't feel that I needed to include one because the facts of the matter is that the phone has a widely known bug that eats the battery life while the phone is OFF!! Its horrendous..As I browse on the phone I literally lose 1 percent of battery time per minute and if I do nothing to the phone it will drain battery in standby state. The "awake" issue has been uncovered by a very well known developer but the problem is that Samsung..The same phone manufacturer that epically FAILS to update their products when needed has not done so with this phone. In addition, Samsung the company WIDELY known to use cheap and inferior products may have gotten by on us by giving this phone a cheap and crap battery. I say this because this is my second phone and both have the same battery issues and at the same time. Both lasted for approximately 3 weeks and kept a good charge and took a while to charge. Now I can charge the phone to 100% in 1 hour and literally sit here and watch the batter drain 1% per minute and in some cases less.

"Android OS" consuming battery [POTENTIAL SOLUTION] - xda-developers
This link shows that there is FACTUALLY a firmware problem that needs to be fixed ASAP. When I had the Photon with call issue Motorola pushed out an update in 3 weeks and has since dropped 2 additional updates. If you call SAMMY you will get that they never heard of 1 problem with this crap phone when in FACT it has inferior reception that causes even more battery drain and the ANDROID OS bug.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok here you go with my screenshot.. I didn't feel that I needed to include one because the facts of the matter is that the phone has a widely known bug that eats the battery life while the phone is OFF!! Its horrendous..As I browse on the phone I literally lose 1 percent of battery time per minute and if I do nothing to the phone it will drain battery in standby state. The "awake" issue has been uncovered by a very well known developer but the problem is that Samsung..The same phone manufacturer that epically FAILS to update their products when needed has not done so with this phone. In addition, Samsung the company WIDELY known to use cheap and inferior products may have gotten by on us by giving this phone a cheap and crap battery. I say this because this is my second phone and both have the same battery issues and at the same time. Both lasted for approximately 3 weeks and kept a good charge and took a while to charge. Now I can charge the phone to 100% in 1 hour and literally sit here and watch the batter drain 1% per minute and in some cases less.

"Android OS" consuming battery [POTENTIAL SOLUTION] - xda-developers
This link shows that there is FACTUALLY a firmware problem that needs to be fixed ASAP. When I had the Photon with call issue Motorola pushed out an update in 3 weeks and has since dropped 2 additional updates. If you call SAMMY you will get that they never heard of 1 problem with this crap phone when in FACT it has inferior reception that causes even more battery drain and the ANDROID OS bug.

First off thanks for posting screen shots please save the hate rants nobody wants to read them.
Were all here to help not cry samsung foul.
Now by the looks of graph , (Awake) & (Screen) you appear to be using pretty heavy not much down time maybe 2 hours idol giving you solid 4 use 10% battery left before you put back on charger. your Android OS is BUSY Android system looks quite all looks good on that front.
Your signal stinks to high heaven which is putting major battery dent during your web browsing session with background updates quite frequently major bogger sucking the life out of it ,.
App running screen shots not showing everything what else is going on under media server?
Tapatalk etc? screen brightness level high above 50% ?
Somethings else is up you by the looks you should have roughly 30% battery left all things considered

Last edited:

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
First off thanks for posting screen shots please save the hate rants nobody wants to read them.
Were all here to help not cry samsung foul.
Now by the looks of graph , (Awake) & (Screen) you appear to be using pretty heavy not much down time maybe 2 hours idol giving you solid 4 use 10% battery left before you put back on charger. your Android OS is BUSY Android system looks quite all looks good on that front.
Your signal stinks to high heaven which is putting major battery dent during your web browsing session with background updates quite frequently major bogger sucking the life out of it ,.
App running screen shots not showing everything what else is going on under media server?
Tapatalk etc? screen brightness level high ?
Somethings else is up you should have at least 30% battery left all things considered

Thanks for the feedback..but yes the signal is causing a major issue all around and this is my second phone. I have background data turn off and never have it on so I don't know why the ANDROID OS is so high all the time. But like the xda forum says its a Samsung issue and there is not much that can be done.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback..but yes the signal is causing a major issue all around and this is my second phone. I have background data turn off and never have it on so I don't know why the ANDROID OS is so high all the time. But like the xda forum says its a Samsung issue and there is not much that can be done.
Well your Android OS is high but that's to be expected seeing the heavy use going on.
You should have more battery left though , maybe app running in background being greedy?
Example would be Tango.
The norm for me is 14-15 hour before charge needed moderate heavy use strong signal area never had loss.
last night Installed Tango which turned out to be bad deal some clash took place today..
I didn't use it at all yet it showed 4% eating up cpu which put major dent in battery life I had to put on charge at 11 hr mark.
Check your apps remove ones that look suspicious I'm more then sure you battery life will improve.
Weak data/ signal does put a beating on battery life so keep that in mind during browser session anything data use related - Tunein radio , Pandora etc try to use wifi connection when available that goes for ever device.
High Screen brightness level and bright wallpaper can make big dent in battery.
Don't set brightness above 50 & use darker wallpaper color.
Go into display setting uncheck (Auto Adjust screen power) that will help especially if you do lots of web browsing , picture viewing & video watching

Last edited:

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well your Android OS is high but that's to be expected seeing the heavy use going on.
You should have more battery left though , maybe app running in background being greedy?
Example would be Tango.
The norm for me is 14-15 hour before charge needed moderate heavy use strong signal area never had loss.
last night Installed Tango which turned out to be bad deal some clash took place today..
I didn't use it at all yet it showed 4% eating up cpu which put major dent in battery life I had to put on charge at 11 hr mark.
Check your apps remove ones that look suspicious I'm more then sure you battery life will improve.
Weak data/ signal does put a beating on battery life so keep that in mind during browser session anything data use related - Tunein radio , Pandora etc try to use wifi connection when available that goes for ever device.
High Screen brightness level and bright wallpaper can make big dent in battery.
Don't set brightness above 50 & use darker wallpaper color.
Go into display setting uncheck (Auto Adjust screen power) that will help as well

Thanks for the info.. I did have Tango and I uninstalled it but the battery showed significant drain before I had it installed. I check my active apps plenty throughout the day but only have a maximum of 4 active apps. My major concern is why is my phone awake when it is supposed to go into deep sleep? No background data or any widgets.. Couldn't even try a widget heck ill be down in 3 hours if I had a widget.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info.. I did have Tango and I uninstalled it but the battery showed significant drain before I had it installed. I check my active apps plenty throughout the day but only have a maximum of 4 active apps. My major concern is why is my phone awake when it is supposed to go into deep sleep? No background data or any widgets.. Couldn't even try a widget heck ill be down in 3 hours if I had a widget.
Your screen shots show device going to sleep when screen's off.
You will notice 5 brief periods lasting seconds in solid sleep were you had Email . text , tapatalk alert something coming in no big deal its the norm.

If in your shoes I would do factory reset run device stock make adjustment to display settings , use wifi in weak signal areas.
Keep it that way for a couple days enjoy great battery life then add apps narrow down which ones are making battery trouble

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks to me like your phone is working as intended.

But your signal sucks. If another Sprint phone has a poor signal in the same spot, it's time to part ways with Sprint. Not hating -- like EVERY carrier, it doesn't work well everywhere for everyone. In the meantime, try using it on airplane mode + wifi one day when you're somewhere you can be without a phone, just to be sure.

I use T-Mobile, trust me -- I know about spotty signal :p

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks to me like your phone is working as intended.

But your signal sucks. If another Sprint phone has a poor signal in the same spot, it's time to part ways with Sprint. Not hating -- like EVERY carrier, it doesn't work well everywhere for everyone. In the meantime, try using it on airplane mode + wifi one day when you're somewhere you can be without a phone, just to be sure.

I use T-Mobile, trust me -- I know about spotty signal :p

Ok this is the deal ..my phone was replaced as well but i can almost guarantee that your phone will drain again after 3 weeks ..I beginning to think that Samsung cheated us with alot cheap piece of crap battery that will not stand the test of a short time spand ..mine is back to horrible

As seen above everything was working out for him up to 3 weeks then battery life took dump which leads me to believe 3rd party apps playing a bad part on top of signal issue.
His blaming it on OS bug / device not sleeping isn't a reality according to screen shots so that claim is put to rest thank goodness.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok here you go with my screenshot.. I didn't feel that I needed to include one because the facts of the matter is that the phone has a widely known bug that eats the battery life while the phone is OFF!!

What was your screen on time?

Attached is mine today. As usual, Display is the highest use percentage by far, with 2 hours of screen on time. I was at 45% left when I took the shots. Obviously my phone sleeps like a baby.

I really don't know what to tell you. Either the E4GT just doesn't work well in your coverage area, you have another defective phone (yes lightning CAN strike twice) or as Slingbox suggested, there's something in your usage pattern that is responsible for this.

Take a look at this post over at XDA ... xda-developers - View Single Post - Reporting Loss of Signal Issue Samsung Epic Touch Rally

It has some really good app suggestions to get to the bottom of your battery problems. Particularly Battery Monitor Widget Pro. I would first do as Slingbox suggested however. Do a factory reset and go back to bone stock. Don't install any apps for a day or two. Run your phone as you normally would but full stock and report back.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Attached is mine today. As usual, Display is the highest use percentage by far, with 2 hours of screen on time. I was at 45% left when I took the shots. Obviously my phone sleeps like a baby.

I really don't know what to tell you. Either the E4GT just doesn't work well in your coverage area, you have another defective phone (yes lightning CAN strike twice) or as Slingbox suggested, there's something in your usage pattern that is responsible for this.

Take a look at this post over at XDA ... xda-developers - View Single Post - Reporting Loss of Signal Issue Samsung Epic Touch Rally

It has some really good app suggestions to get to the bottom of your battery problems. Particularly Battery Monitor Widget Pro. I would first do as Slingbox suggested however. Do a factory reset and go back to bone stock. Don't install any apps for a day or two. Run your phone as you normally would but full stock and report back.

This shows me that you hardly ever use your phone because the screen is hardly ever on. I use mine why more than this plus I don't have a Wifi connection. And why would I want to have to use wifi because the phones signal drains the battery? If I have to do these things that means that the phone fails as its primary use for a smartphone. Also, I am in the Houston area one of Sprints biggest consumer markets so the answer to signal is NO it is NOT SPRINT.. My Photon, Evo3d and EVO had way better performance from the antenna than this phone. While at work in a fairly open area with large windows my signal strength is at only 101 - 96 dbs and im smack dead in the middle of the city. What my graph shows is that the signal is what is causing the rapid drop in battery life where yours show a good signal, however, what I am beggining to believe is that your great signal is coming from wifi and not 3G.. I prove my point of this post is that the the cheap Antenna and the horrid OS bug is whats causing the problems. Just google Nexus S signal issues and you will see that this is true and the same issues that plague it plagues this cheaply made phone as well. Samsung makes faulty products and once sold they don't stand by them just as one would expect from a Korea based company. Now im stuck trying to lose money to sell this phone and go all the way back to the EVO or the Photon. The EVO and GS2 is matched in speed anyways when it comes to browsing the web becasue the HTC makes more quality handsets with better antennas.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree with the topic creator. I get good battery life on my phone. However, I do turn off my 3g data when I am not using the internet. This saves me a buttload of battery. Either that or connect to a wifi network.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bla so much for helping OP what a waste of time :(
Hes back on his Samsung bash provoking conflict and worthless debate.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
however, what I am beggining to believe is that your great signal is coming from wifi and not 3G..

Oh ... my ... God.

I'm sorry dguidry. Those of us who actually had some patience with you and really wanted to help gave it our best shot. But it's clear that there's no helping you. You don't even want help, since you already know everything. It's cool. My 4 year old daughter does that too, and it seems to work well for her. Honestly, it's like trying to have a conversation with a brick wall.

I'm done responding to your posts. Good luck to you.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Hey I did download 3 of the apps that showed on the thread and thanks for that information im getting some useful info from them. However, what you showed me is a very very good signal..I don't believe that this phone gets that good of a 3g signal unless they are sitting directly under a tower. Your case is probably 3 percent of what everyone else is experiencing. Think about the users that don't even know the phones faults because they are not that into tech like we are so it useless to show your screenshots when nobody uses their phone like you on Wifi all day. Im just saying

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I would have to disagree with the topic creator. I get good battery life on my phone. However, I do turn off my 3g data when I am not using the internet. This saves me a buttload of battery. Either that or connect to a wifi network.

Why in the heck should you have to turn of 3g??? I mean gosh 3g technology has been around for 5 years or more already and makes no sense. So basically you are covering a problem that should be exposed.. If the antenna is bad of getting 3g reception then Samsung should fix it right?? You might as well not even pay extra for data if you have to turn the feature off the majority of the day..That makes no sense