Who uses the samsung vlingo app?

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't like vlingo samsung app perhaps I'm using it wrong? Anyone use vlingo? Any tips on how to use it?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there a different one one the phone that you can use?
I do not see anywhere that it gives me a choice to use vlingo or something else.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I use it only occasionally. Seems to work ok, but I'm not really giving it a workout.

What don't you like about it?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I used to use it all the time, but I found it to be more of a hassle to turn on and off when I got in the car.

I have found myself using it less and less. What are you particularly having a problem with. I've used it enough that I can probably help.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've set my search button long press to go to Android Voice Actions and my bluetooth headset action button to activate Vlingo voice talk. This means that if i'm not on bluetooth, I don't ever have to see vlingo. When i'm on bluetooth I have access to all of the extra features that vlingo includes, like incoming message reading as well as it providing voice prompts for sending messages and dialing. I don't use driving mode since that seems to take over the ringer but if I get a message i just say "Read my message" and it reads it and asks if I want to reply. Everything is hands free so I really like it.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I like it too. I drive a dump truck for a living and found this to be EXTREMELY useful. I used vlingo with my moPho and evo and worked as intended, but the samsung vlingo app paired with svox and the Grace (voice prompt) is a winner!

Lord_MiL

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've set my search button long press to go to Android Voice Actions and my bluetooth headset action button to activate Vlingo voice talk. This means that if i'm not on bluetooth, I don't ever have to see vlingo. When i'm on bluetooth I have access to all of the extra features that vlingo includes, like incoming message reading as well as it providing voice prompts for sending messages and dialing. I don't use driving mode since that seems to take over the ringer but if I get a message i just say "Read my message" and it reads it and asks if I want to reply. Everything is hands free so I really like it.

Can you give some more detail on how exactly you got your bluetooth to work well with Vlingo? I've never been able to get it to work right and even posted a thread here on this board about it and nobody who posted there seemed to be able to get it to work either. Specifically - if the phone is locked, my bluetooth button does nothing. And, after making a call or sending a text, Voice Talk exits and the phone locks soon after - leaving me high and dry. I've yet to find any way, no matter how inconvenient, to use this phone hands free (which is required by law in the state I live in). So, I just haven't been using my phone at all in the car.

You seem like you have gotten this to work, so I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you give some more detail on how exactly you got your bluetooth to work well with Vlingo? I've never been able to get it to work right and even posted a thread here on this board about it and nobody who posted there seemed to be able to get it to work either. Specifically - if the phone is locked, my bluetooth button does nothing. And, after making a call or sending a text, Voice Talk exits and the phone locks soon after - leaving me high and dry. I've yet to find any way, no matter how inconvenient, to use this phone hands free (which is required by law in the state I live in). So, I just haven't been using my phone at all in the car.

You seem like you have gotten this to work, so I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.

I have a Samsung WEP 200 bluetooth headset. Maybe it's a Samsung thing? My button works perfectly. I'll try my wife's Plantronics tonight and report back.

Update: Her Plantronics 233 headset worked as well. I had to hold till it beeped for hers vs a single tap for mine, but both woke up the phone and launched vlingo.

Last edited:

xoted

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

I've just started playing with this thing since I read this thread, so pardon me if my advise/questions seem dumb. (I just got my phone on Saturday...)

Have you gone through all the settings? Settings -> Voice Talk Settings
Launch on Bluetooth
Make sure you have Wake Up command checked
There's some other settings in there that may have to do with why it isn't working.

I'll be setting mine up this weekend when i get a blutooth speaker and a mounting kit for my car... maybe I can be of more help then.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I will list the things in the settings menu that I have selected. Assume that all other items are unselected.

Use location
Hide offensive words
Auto-punctuation
Listen over Bluetooth
Auto-start Speakerphone
Wake up Command
Speak Prompts

I think most of them are defaults but they work well for me.

Lord_MiL

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the info, guys. I spent a good bit of time playing with this over the Holiday weekend. I have an old Motorola H500 and MotoROKR S305 hooked up to my E4GT and my wife has a new LG HBS-700 hooked up to her E4GT and after lots of playing with settings, resyncing, etc. I have only ever gotten Voice Talk to work with the phone locked under one scenario:
1) Open Voice Talk manually
2) Hold the call button to do a redial
3) After the call is ended, let the phone lock automatically
4) Pressing the button now will wake the phone and launch Voice Talk. However, after this, I'm back in the "stuck" state where pressing the button does nothing.

Sometimes, on my wife's phone with her LG bluetooth headset, pressing the button with the phone locked sort of launches Voice Talk. The nice lady will tell me how many missed calls I have, but she doesn't continue on to ask me what I'd like to do and attempting to give a command or say "Hi Galaxy" does nothing. If I then unlock the phone, Voice Talk is the open app, but it's just sitting there at the main screen.

I was considering buying a new bluetooth headset since several of you seem to have this working, but after trying with the ones we have, I'm worried it still won't work and I don't want to waste the money.

Could one of you who has this working confirm that pressing your BT button with the phone locked does in fact wake the phone up and launch voice talk, that you can then verbally make a call or send a text and then after that first one, do it again? Also, how exactly do you go about connecting your BT and launching voice talk? Do you have it auto-launch on bluetooth? Do you have your phone locked or unlocked when you connect the headset, etc.?

I just don't understand why I can't get this working. I've spent a ton of time and tried so many settings combinations. You wouldn't think it would be this hard... :confused:

Thanks again for all your help.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is already connected to my headset, a single press on the headset will open vlingo and prompt me to speak. A second press will close the app and return to home screen.

If the phone is not connected to my headset, the first tap will connect to the phone. A second press will open vlingo and prompt me to speak. A third press will close the app and return to home screen.

I would recommend that you remove your headset from the list of trusted bluetooth devices and go through the steps to re-pair it. So far, this phone works better with my bluetooth devices than any other i've used. Sorry your experience hasn't been the same. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lord_MiL

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, oversteer325. I'll try de-pairing and re-pairing when I get home tonight. I agree that Voice Talk in general is really nice. When I'm using my bluetooth around the house and can manually unlock my phone first, being able to text, call, search, etc. hands-free is very convenient. I've just gotta get it working in the car, where I really need it!

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
-

Well, I must say, I've been trying Vlingo in-car Bluetooth and it leaves a LOT to be desired. I have my phone (Galaxy SII Skyrocket) mounted in a Cadillac DeVille, which is a very quiet car, and Vlingo still is full of errors. I could not recommend this to anyone looking for true 'hands free' in-car cell phone use. Vlingo cannot get even the most basic instructions correct. For instance if I say "dial" or "call" and then announce (very clearly) seven digits, Vlingo has not once correctly completed this most basic task. Very annoying and disappointing.

The only good news is that Vlingo was just purchased by Nuance, and I'm hoping that Nuance can fix Vlingo so that it is functional for car use.

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non