EL29 Source is available!

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I found it. I think it was Google. I just reset the options.

But I did something bad!

I gotta stop playing around, I keep making things screwed up.

Somehow, I messed up the Market app data.

Now when I go into the market app, and do show my apps, I get nothing but a screen that says 'your apps will show here with two buttons. One to got to apps and the other to goto music.

No apps are showing.

I tried several things that were mentioned in the forums but nothing is working so far.

Any ideas to try?

I did go to titanium and use their market doctor (that's what messed it up to begin with). That did not help. I tried to clear the caches again.

I deleted the market app, I restored it from my backup. No good.

Rob

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think I found it. I think it was Google. I just reset the options.

But I did something bad!

I gotta stop playing around, I keep making things screwed up.

Somehow, I messed up the Market app data.

Now when I go into the market app, and do show my apps, I get nothing but a screen that says 'your apps will show here with two buttons. One to got to apps and the other to goto music.

No apps are showing.

I tried several things that were mentioned in the forums but nothing is working so far.

Any ideas to try?

I did go to titanium and use their market doctor (that's what messed it up to begin with). That did not help. I tried to clear the caches again.

I deleted the market app, I restored it from my backup. No good.

Rob

My suggestion would be to google search "android market apk 3.4.4" download the .apk and put it on your sdcard then install it.

I am really confused as to why you would think it would be google? As far as I know they dont have adds in your notification bar.

If all else fails, just reflash Sfhub's odin package. Once the phone is back up and running I would install clockworkmod recovery and make a 100% complete back up. This way if anything gets messed up you will have a nice and clean fresh start and you won't need odin.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, got the market stuff back finally

I redid one of the solutions. I had not done it correctly.

Yeah, I need to have a good backup for all my stupid mistakes.

I actual made a few when I did have clockwork on before the upgrade. I still have those backups on the card.

Do those backups contain all the data as well. If I restored, would everything come back, serums and data?

Whoops, spoke too fast. Once I downloaded an app from the market the list got blanked out again.

Maybe I should install clockwork, do a restore that I saved and then do the upgrade over that. Then put back clockwork, and make a fresh backup with the new system.

Another day wasted! Lol!

Rob

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok, got the market stuff back finally

I redid one of the solutions. I had not done it correctly.

Yeah, I need to have a good backup for all my stupid mistakes.

I actual made a few when I did have clockwork on before the upgrade. I still have those backups on the card.

Do those backups contain all the data as well. If I restored, would everything come back, serums and data?

Whoops, spoke too fast. Once I downloaded an app from the market the list got blanked out again.

Maybe I should install clockwork, do a restore that I saved and then do the upgrade over that. Then put back clockwork, and make a fresh backup with the new system.

Another day wasted! Lol!

Rob

That is absolutely an option and I think it would work. Your data will just be returned to the point it was at when you made it. This is all part of the learning process.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
That is absolutely an option and I think it would work. Your data will just be returned to the point it was at when you made it. This is all part of the learning process.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

After much searching, I think I found what I should do but I want to run it by you first.

I need to install (which I had it already without realizing it) e4gtauto-sfx.exe and maybe the zip version.

I ran the 'runfirst.bat' file and go to the all the options and there behold was option C.

Now my problem! It looks like from the list of options after hitting C, was El29+CWM (and it said in the description on the right something like 'stock' and then 'stock plus rouge'. What does this 'rouge' mean, it sounds dangerous to me.

But it also looks like this will install the rom but it will do it without saving my data.

From what I manged to read on xda, there was no packaging of EL29+Root+CWM with NODATA (keeping your data) yet!

Let me see if I can get that link for you read to see if that is what is going on.

And all that would mean is the if I install CWM using option C, it's going to erase the phone and just give me stock + root + cwm ... if I use the option on the page after you type C and the one that has that word 'rouge' in it.

I would then have to rebuild my phone from scratch, a 4 day thing for me. LOL!

Maybe I should wait for them to package up the one with the NODATA.

Wow, I went to search in my history for the exact page that I read that statement from and I just can't find it.

It said something about 'Chris' not providing a EL29+ROOT+CWM NODATA yet, or even if he is going to do it.

Does that sound right, did you read that before yourself.

I think I found about a thousand posts from you providing help to everyone, man your busy as hell!

I really appreciate the time you've taken with me.

I read one thing from you (I think it was you) about the difference between backing up with Titanium and a backup using CWM to backup the image of the system. The only thing that is not clear to me. Does the full backup of the system image include the data. For me, in the past when you said an image, you were doing a bit by bit backup of the drive, not a file backup. So you restore and exact image of the drive, system and data everything basically. Is that what the CWN is doing when you say it's backing up the image, its everything system and data, complete image. If so, that is terrific! Because then there would be nothing to fix up once you come reboot from a restore.

Ok, I'll submit this and go walk the dog, he's looking at me with this strange look (like, man get me out, I have to go already!) LOL!

Rob

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
After much searching, I think I found what I should do but I want to run it by you first.

I need to install (which I had it already without realizing it) e4gtauto-sfx.exe and maybe the zip version.

I ran the 'runfirst.bat' file and go to the all the options and there behold was option C.

Now my problem! It looks like from the list of options after hitting C, was El29+CWM (and it said in the description on the right something like 'stock' and then 'stock plus rouge'. What does this 'rouge' mean, it sounds dangerous to me.

But it also looks like this will install the rom but it will do it without saving my data.

From what I manged to read on xda, there was no packaging of EL29+Root+CWM with NODATA (keeping your data) yet!

Let me see if I can get that link for you read to see if that is what is going on.

And all that would mean is the if I install CWM using option C, it's going to erase the phone and just give me stock + root + cwm ... if I use the option on the page after you type C and the one that has that word 'rouge' in it.

I would then have to rebuild my phone from scratch, a 4 day thing for me. LOL!

Maybe I should wait for them to package up the one with the NODATA.

Wow, I went to search in my history for the exact page that I read that statement from and I just can't find it.

It said something about 'Chris' not providing a EL29+ROOT+CWM NODATA yet, or even if he is going to do it.

Does that sound right, did you read that before yourself.

I think I found about a thousand posts from you providing help to everyone, man your busy as hell!

I really appreciate the time you've taken with me.

I read one thing from you (I think it was you) about the difference between backing up with Titanium and a backup using CWM to backup the image of the system. The only thing that is not clear to me. Does the full backup of the system image include the data. For me, in the past when you said an image, you were doing a bit by bit backup of the drive, not a file backup. So you restore and exact image of the drive, system and data everything basically. Is that what the CWN is doing when you say it's backing up the image, its everything system and data, complete image. If so, that is terrific! Because then there would be nothing to fix up once you come reboot from a restore.

Ok, I'll submit this and go walk the dog, he's looking at me with this strange look (like, man get me out, I have to go already!) LOL!

Rob

Installing one of the kernel packages will not wipe your data. So you will not have to re set up your phone. I recommend using the package that says EL29 + rogue because it is the latest and greatest.

Clockworkmod is the standard custom recovery and Rogue is just a modified version of that recovery that is a little easier on the eyes and short menu options. Other than that it is exactly the same.

Clockworkmod or Rogue (Pretty much the same thing) when you make a back up, it will create 100% complete system image, when you restore this it will look exactly like it did before you made the back up. Using titanium back up only backs up specific application data and some system info if you chose it.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Installing one of the kernel packages will not wipe your data. So you will not have to re set up your phone. I recommend using the package that says EL29 + rogue because it is the latest and greatest..

I haven't done anything yet.

I think I just want to make sure I am telling you the 2 options carefully.

I think there is only one option to get the CWM.

I'm going to try and do a screen shot of the choices.

View attachment 21159

From what I see I can only choose option L & M.

L would contain CWM and M is only stock without CWM.

Am I right, or do both contain CWM?

Thanks!

Rob

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, go with option L.

OK, I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to reboot! I finally hit the button and entered 'L' after I got your approval!

What's interesting now is that somehow the startup boot screen no longer is saying Sprint and 4G, but this Android thing?

What that changed by the installation, or was it something it picked up by what I tried to change a week ago and never took back then?

I don't think it was one of the choices that I tried to use, from Rom Toolbox.

But let's see if my data was lost, if it wasn't, I do have to do a factory reset. That stupid Market is still not showing my apps. I tried all the suggested things but they don't seem to fix the problem.

I did the clear Framework, it works and shows the apps like it should until I do my first download from the market and then all the apps are missing, so I think that the database is either locked or corrupted. I wish I knew what the file name was, I'd just delete it and have the system recreate it.

Ok, I'm back up and the phone is running again, not data seems to be lost. So you know your stuff, it did not touch the data.

Let me try and reboot and see if the clockwork is installed.

OK, it looks like Clockwork is there.. When I boot using the PWR + Vol UP I'm getting to a screen that says 'Team Rogue' with a green logo!

I have options like 'Fix Permissions', Key test, Partition SD Card, reboot recovery, Install from zip file, backup and restore, mounts and storage and Advanced.

Hmmmm.. there is something called Format /emmc... what is that?

I'm wondering what the other option would have given me now?

Maybe I can try that and see what I get?

OK, thanks, this is terrific.. doing a backup now, of course I want to be safe and protect myself from myself! LOL!

If I could fix that Market thing, then I won't bother with the restore stuff and go back to factory.

Any ideas before I do a factory reset, which I really don't what to do?

From this CWM, which I'm still in, I see I can do a recovery since I never deleted the files, I have 3 backup files dates. I have one from 1/9/2012, I think that is before I did the upgrade from El02 to EL29. Should I try that then do the upgrade again. Would that help in this Market missing the apps issue?

Thanks one more time!

Rob

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to reboot! I finally hit the button and entered 'L' after I got your approval!

What's interesting now is that somehow the startup boot screen no longer is saying Sprint and 4G, but this Android thing?

What that changed by the installation, or was it something it picked up by what I tried to change a week ago and never took back then?

I don't think it was one of the choices that I tried to use, from Rom Toolbox.

But let's see if my data was lost, if it wasn't, I do have to do a factory reset. That stupid Market is still not showing my apps. I tried all the suggested things but they don't seem to fix the problem.

I did the clear Framework, it works and shows the apps like it should until I do my first download from the market and then all the apps are missing, so I think that the database is either locked or corrupted. I wish I knew what the file name was, I'd just delete it and have the system recreate it.

Ok, I'm back up and the phone is running again, not data seems to be lost. So you know your stuff, it did not touch the data.

Let me try and reboot and see if the clockwork is installed.

OK, it looks like Clockwork is there.. When I boot using the PWR + Vol UP I'm getting to a screen that says 'Team Rogue' with a green logo!

I have options like 'Fix Permissions', Key test, Partition SD Card, reboot recovery, Install from zip file, backup and restore, mounts and storage and Advanced.

Hmmmm.. there is something called Format /emmc... what is that?

I'm wondering what the other option would have given me now?

Maybe I can try that and see what I get?

OK, thanks, this is terrific.. doing a backup now, of course I want to be safe and protect myself from myself! LOL!

If I could fix that Market thing, then I won't bother with the restore stuff and go back to factory.

Any ideas before I do a factory reset, which I really don't what to do?

From this CWM, which I'm still in, I see I can do a recovery since I never deleted the files, I have 3 backup files dates. I have one from 1/9/2012, I think that is before I did the upgrade from El02 to EL29. Should I try that then do the upgrade again. Would that help in this Market missing the apps issue?

Thanks one more time!

Rob

The reason the boot animation change is because you are now on a stock repacked kernel that does not support boot animations. Not a big deal.

Do NOT format! Unless specifically given directions to do it.

No need for a factory reset yet. Have you tried installing the market.apk?? WHat about just reflashing SFhubs package again?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The reason the boot animation change is because you are now on a stock repacked kernel that does not support boot animations. Not a big deal.

Do NOT format! Unless specifically given directions to do it.

No need for a factory reset yet. Have you tried installing the market.apk?? WHat about just reflashing SFhubs package again?

No, I would not format that emmc, I don't know what the heck it is anyway. I tend to be careful and not to to crazy. LOL!

I did try installing the option M and that still gave me root but no CWM, it was back the way it was, so I guess that is stock.

So I will of course put it back. And it's good to play with this, it helps build up my confidence in doing this stuff. At a certain point, I will feel that I can offer some help to users. I do like what we had on PreCentral, it was a very active group of users. I was a little surprised by how quiet it was over here on Android Central, but things seem to have picked up a bit. I know a lot of WebOS users are now here now.

Alright, back to the Market issue:

Where do I find the market.apk? I was trying to do that. I only removed it and did a restore from backup, which just might have put back the bad data.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say flashing the SFhubs package.

Can you tell me where to find the Market.apk and what this flashing SFhubs thing is?

I'll try and not get so trigger happy about going to a factory reset. The only thing good about a factory reset, is that it cleans out crap that gets leftover over time.

Rob

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh, the SFHubs package is the upgrade package that I used to get from EL02 to EL29. I tried that already. I can try it one more time.

Rob

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
No, I would not format that emmc, I don't know what the heck it is anyway. I tend to be careful and not to to crazy. LOL!

I did try installing the option M and that still gave me root but no CWM, it was back the way it was, so I guess that is stock.

So I will of course put it back. And it's good to play with this, it helps build up my confidence in doing this stuff. At a certain point, I will feel that I can offer some help to users. I do like what we had on PreCentral, it was a very active group of users. I was a little surprised by how quiet it was over here on Android Central, but things seem to have picked up a bit. I know a lot of WebOS users are now here now.

Alright, back to the Market issue:

Where do I find the market.apk? I was trying to do that. I only removed it and did a restore from backup, which just might have put back the bad data.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say flashing the SFhubs package.

Can you tell me where to find the Market.apk and what this flashing SFhubs thing is?

I'll try and not get so trigger happy about going to a factory reset. The only thing good about a factory reset, is that it cleans out crap that gets leftover over time.

Rob

Option M is the completely stock EL29 kernel.

As for the community thing it varies. When I had the original epic, the phone was not as popular as the touch, yet the community was mouch more active. I think that says a lot about the phone though, were as the old epic a lot of people were disatisfied with it and came to forums like this to get help. But I think the majority of Epic 4g Touch users (the non-geeks) are 100% satisfied with their phones.

Google search android market apk 3.4.4 and download the apk file put it on your sdcard and open up a file manager. Then install.

If that doesn't work, just reflash the odin package, built by Sfhub, that gave you EL29 without wiping your data.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Option M is the completely stock EL29 kernel.

Google search android market apk 3.4.4 and download the apk file put it on your sdcard and open up a file manager. Then install.

If that doesn't work, just reflash the odin package, built by Sfhub, that gave you EL29 without wiping your data.

Ok, I'm trying to download the Market apk. I will try the SFhub once again.

But I did something again.. Whoops! I hit a key, while looking at options.

Anyway, I noticed in the restore option in CWM, that you can restore the boot, the system, or just the data.

That's interesting, it looks like you can pick what part of the backup you want to restore in the advanced mode.

So here is a question when thinking about my market issue, could I be selective and restore maybe just the data? Is that were the Market problem is coming from. Or is it coming from the System?

Now what happened, I went back to look at the regular backup, not the advanced options. And it looked like the only option is to restore a particular dated backup file. No other options, like you get in the Advanced Restore area, which makes perfect sense.

I guess in the regular Restore, I am assuming it restores everything.

While looking at the dates, I hit the select key, heck, my hand is always over that power button, I'm left handed.

So now it's doing a restore from December. So that would get me back to EL02, if things go correctly. I was not going to pull the battery because of the mistake, I didn't want to take a chance of really getting things corrupted. So it's almost done now. Yes, it does restore everything... I just looked at the phone's screen and it's saying:

Erasing boot before restore...
Restored Boot image..
Restoring System...
Restoring Data.....
Restoring .android_secure...
Restoring cache....

Restore complete!

Well that does that. I've learned how to do a restore using CWM.

Now let's see what happens when I reboot...

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I did the restore and the Market thing is still messed up? What the ....!

But the rom is still saying EL29 after the restore, I used a backup from before I did the upgrade?

The phone popped up with a message asking if I wanted to upgrade to EL29 but when I go into the Applications and look at the About Phone, it's saying it's on EL29?

I'm running the SFHub EL29 package again, it's now doing a restore EL29.

After that is done, I will try to delete the Market app and install the Market.apk that I just finished downloading.

Rob

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I did the restore and the Market thing is still messed up? What the ....!

But the rom is still saying EL29 after the restore, I used a backup from before I did the upgrade?

The phone popped up with a message asking if I wanted to upgrade to EL29 but when I go into the Applications and look at the About Phone, it's saying it's on EL29?

I'm running the SFHub EL29 package again, it's now doing a restore EL29.

After that is done, I will try to delete the Market app and install the Market.apk that I just finished downloading.

Rob

Are you sure you are reading the correct place? Baseband version will always stay the same unless you odin a "modem" package. Build Number will show the version of the rom you are on and that is where we want it to say EL29.

Check the market before you unistall and install the other. In fact you shouldn't even need to delete the market app it should install right over it.

Also are you 100% sure you are talking about the android market? Can you describe your issues with the market a little more clear?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Also are you 100% sure you are talking about the android market? Can you describe your issues with the market a little more clear?

Mmmm.... I was thinking last night that I should post a screen shot of what I'm getting and then you will know exactly the issue.

I have to remember how to do the screen shot, I'll figure it out and get back to you with the screen shot to help you know what my problem is.

Rob

Reactions: dtm_stretch

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is the screen shot!

4a495424-9f46-fddf.jpg

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Here is the screen shot!

Click to view quoted image

Oh how strange! I have never seen this. Honestly, I hate to do this but unless someone jumps in here, I think you should ask how to fix this in a post on xda in the epic 4g touch q&a section. More people frequent there and might have seen this before.

I am guessing none of our attempts fixed it?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh how strange! I have never seen this. Honestly, I hate to do this but unless someone jumps in here, I think you should ask how to fix this in a post on xda in the epic 4g touch q&a section. More people frequent there and might have seen this before.

I am guessing none of our attempts fixed it?

Yeah, I've already done that. And I did try all the suggestions from everyone there and here.

None of them worked. I did say that clearing the Framework did work but as soon as I download a file from the Market, it went back to that.

I guess I should just bit the bullet and do a factory reset.

So my only question is, can I just do the normal factory reset now with the EL29 and the CWM installed?

Or do I have to some special thing at this point?

Thanks!

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38