03-23-2012 08:19 AM
321 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Sorry, sfhub, but I'm a little confused.
    I rooted my phone through your EK02 auto program (rooted only). That means I can use this to go to EL29 (ota update) + root my phone correct? Also, this should get rid of all the update notices, right?

Sorry about these dumb questions, but I really have no experience with rooting, except by using your last program (A very big thank you by the way!).
    You are correct. Follow the steps in the link sfhub just posted and it will be just like taking the OTA update, except you will still have root.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-31-2012 01:59 PM
    Go to your internet browser and hit menu. Check Auto-fit pages. That should be it right?
    01-31-2012 02:04 PM
    Thanks guys! And just to be clear (sorry), I don't have to do anything to the phone before starting the process that sfhub has laid out, correct?
    01-31-2012 02:44 PM
    Go to your internet browser and hit menu. Check Auto-fit pages. That should be it right?
    That's not the issue, when you are already in an autofitted page and scroll down, it won't lock only to the y axis as it did in the past. Now it moves in the x axis as well.
    01-31-2012 03:43 PM
    I started the procedure that sfhub created. When I used the autoroot compliance checker. I got SHA1FAIL: zimage/kernel.

How is it I changed the kernel but can't remember doing so? I must be an *****.

I guess I need to flash the stock kernel....
    01-31-2012 03:45 PM
    Sorry, sfhub, but I'm a little confused.
    I rooted my phone through your EK02 auto program (rooted only). That means I can use this to go to EL29 (ota update) + root my phone correct? Also, this should get rid of all the update notices, right?

Sorry about these dumb questions, but I really have no experience with rooting, except by using your last program (A very big thank you by the way!).
    Yes, as mentioned by jaywill, that is correct.
    01-31-2012 03:47 PM
    Well i just did update last night...i dont seem to have a issue w/it..so far...and as far as battery life is concerned...i havent noticed any difference yet...if i do notice anything..i will post it
    01-31-2012 04:01 PM
    Thanks guys! And just to be clear (sorry), I don't have to do anything to the phone before starting the process that sfhub has laid out, correct?
    The update method sfhub posted uses CWM recovery to flash, so you would need to use his auto-root tool to install CWM if you have not already done so.
    01-31-2012 04:02 PM
    I started the procedure that sfhub created. When I used the autoroot compliance checker. I got SHA1FAIL: zimage/kernel.

How is it I changed the kernel but can't remember doing so? I must be an *****.

I guess I need to flash the stock kernel....
    sfhub posted this in his thread ...

2) [Optional] Run the EK02->EL29 OTA Compliance Check
    Use the Auto Root Package (Option D - OTA Compliance Check EK02->EL29) to see if your EK02 ROM is 100% stock.
    If any errors show up, please fix BEFORE applying this OTA update.
    The only exception is kernel/zImage does not need to match EK02 (so you can ignore the SHA1FAIL for kernel/zImage)
    So as long as your ROM doesn't fail the check you can use his CWM method to apply your update.
    01-31-2012 04:05 PM
    sfhub posted this in his thread ...

So as long as your ROM doesn't fail the check you can use his CWM method to apply your update.
    Yeah, that is what I was saying. I ran the check and it failed.
    01-31-2012 04:13 PM
    Kipdurran to me the wallpaper scrolling was important. I had it on my EVO 4G, lost it on my Evo 3D, and got it back on the Epic 4G Touch. I miss that feature as when bored (and I have some great wallpapers) I would scroll them side to side and see beautiful pictures. My daughter researched it and found it was taken off deliberately due to a lawsuit over it (wouldn't be surprised if apple sued).
    01-31-2012 04:26 PM
    Kipdurran how do you get static images (what are those?) to scroll? None of my wallpapers scroll.
    01-31-2012 04:28 PM
    Your kernel failed, not the ROM, which sfhub states is okay.

Sapient likes this.
    01-31-2012 04:30 PM
    That's not the issue, when you are already in an autofitted page and scroll down, it won't lock only to the y axis as it did in the past. Now it moves in the x axis as well.
    Wow, this is seriously annoying... It feels like the browser (or myself) just got stupid... Please tell me there is some way to fix this...

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but it appears that this update also borks the network location updates... (So that apps like weather programs which update based solely on tower location don't work). I did find a fix for this over on XDA (by rolling back to and older version of google.android.location.apk), but this is some base functionality for them to screw up...

It seems like these updates are more to cover their legal behind than to actually fix stuff...
    Sapient likes this.
    01-31-2012 04:40 PM
    Your kernel failed, not the ROM, which sfhub states is okay.

Oh sheesh. I really am an *****.
    01-31-2012 04:40 PM
    That is an expected failure. If you have CWM your kernel/zImage was changed. Ignore that failure.

If you have any other failures, then look at those.
    Sapient likes this.
    01-31-2012 05:51 PM
    My update came through this morning. So far so good. The only problem I see is that the apps that I have moved to SD card (using Applications > Manage Applications) are not showing up in the Market under "My Apps." They show up down at the bottom of the list in the "Not Installed" category. I've confirmed the apps are actually installed, and when I select one of them under "My Apps, Not Installed," the only option is "Open." Not "Install or Update." Hopefully this won't screw up getting updates for these apps.

Anyone else experience this?
    sailon314 likes this.
    01-31-2012 07:04 PM
    i just received the update this morning and now i can't use scrollable wallpapers
    01-31-2012 07:21 PM
    My update came through this morning. So far so good. The only problem I see is that the apps that I have moved to SD card (using Applications > Manage Applications) are not showing up in the Market under "My Apps." They show up down at the bottom of the list in the "Not Installed" category. I've confirmed the apps are actually installed, and when I select one of them under "My Apps, Not Installed," the only option is "Open." Not "Install or Update." Hopefully this won't screw up getting updates for these apps.

Anyone else experience this?
    I had that problem before the update, spoke to Google and it is a known issue they are working on, mine are back to normal.
    01-31-2012 07:27 PM
    Kipdurran to me the wallpaper scrolling was important. I had it on my EVO 4G, lost it on my Evo 3D, and got it back on the Epic 4G Touch. I miss that feature as when bored (and I have some great wallpapers) I would scroll them side to side and see beautiful pictures. My daughter researched it and found it was taken off deliberately due to a lawsuit over it (wouldn't be surprised if apple sued).
    I didn't know that iPhones had scrolling wallpaper. I am definitely bummed because I have some scrolling live wallpapers that I paid for and now really can't use. Will Apple reimburse me for that?
    01-31-2012 07:32 PM
    Kipdurran how do you get static images (what are those?) to scroll? None of my wallpapers scroll.
    You know, I just realized that I am using GoLauncher and that might be why the static images scroll. I have not tried it with Touchwhiz. I just wish that I could get the live wallpapers to scroll.

Static images are the backgrounds that don't move.. essentially a still picture, versus the live wallpapers that have motion integrated into them.

Maybe someone will come up with an app that does that.
    01-31-2012 07:34 PM
    If was never there in the first place, you wouldn't hear any complaints. The fact that something was taken away is where the issue stems from. Is it a huge deal? Of course not, but it was a nice touch and enhanced the TouchWiz experience. Some people may not have wanted to trade looping homescreens for scrolling wallpaper, and I can understand the disappointment.
    I didn't even notice this. I don't care about wallpaper scrolling. However, I have seen this happen more and more lately. An "update" that takes away features without informing the user. If you are going to remove features, you need to let the user know. You should not loose even the most minute feature in an "update".

BTW- if you use a custom launcher you can have scollable wallpapers. I really wish Google would make every manufacturer use standard Android OS and then just customize with walllpapers, widgets, etc rather than having these layers on top that can cause problems with compatibility, performance, etc. Then, you could get the damn software updates as soon as they are available rather than wait eons for your provider/carrier to provide them.
    01-31-2012 08:50 PM
    sfhub, when I try to install your ota update it just takes me to a screen with an android and an exclamation point. What am I doing wrong? It says that signature verification failed.
    01-31-2012 11:56 PM

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but it appears that this update also borks the network location updates... (So that apps like weather programs which update based solely on tower location don't work). I did find a fix for this over on XDA (by rolling back to and older version of google.android.location.apk), but this is some base functionality for them to screw up...

It seems like these updates are more to cover their legal behind than to actually fix stuff...
    I noticed this this morning. My weather location was showing some random city.

I agree with your last statement. The last couple of updates have been mostly legal fixings versus real updates.
    02-01-2012 07:12 AM
    Yes, I am one of those people who are going to about the whole wallpaper issue. I use MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, so I can have a different image for every home screen, and I use this along with Go Launcher. Problem is, yes static images will scroll with Go Launcher, but Live Wallpapers will not. I've had my phone set up like this for a couple of months, and being stuck with just one home screen wallpaper just pisses me off now. I liked my phone that way, and taking that away makes my phone look so......average. As people have said, don't have a feature that all of a sudden disappears in an update.
    02-01-2012 09:49 AM
321 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD