WiFi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

ughandroid

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
TL;DR: Phone recently won't maintain WiFi connection. It connects and drops rapidly and never actually connects. Tried everything I can think of / find online to no avail.

I have a Z Fold 4 and a Samsung tablet I got at the same time from Verizon. Recently my phone started doing this really weird thing where it would connect to my WiFi, and the WiFi icon would show a "!" followed by going back to 4G/5G, then attempting to connect, connecting for about a second, then disconnecting. The messaging showing when I go into the connections page and selecting a specific SSID, is "Connecting...", "Checking the quality of your internet connection...", Connected", Connecting..." over and over again. Each loop of this connecting / disconnecting issue takes about 2 seconds so its clearly not successfully connecting.

The thing is, it doesn't matter WHERE I am in the house. It happens if I'm close to the router or far away. I also have 2 WiFi repeaters in the house to make sure I have great signal strength everywhere. I have no connecting issues at all with my TV's, other computers, OR my Samsung tablet. It's only my phone. I assumed it might be from the last major update but the tablet got the same update and had no issues. No recent apps have been installed. Issue occurs with phone open or closed. No recent changes with router config either. What's strange is if I manually connect back and forth between my router and the 2 repeaters I can get it have a stable connection for upwards of 10 minutes sometimes but the last few days, it doesn't matter what I do it will just not stay connected for longer than a a couple minutes at best. I absolutely LOATHE this POS phone. Nothing but issues out of the box. BT is working great still thankfully but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:
1. Restarted phone. This sometimes has a temporary fix but only for about 20 minutes if that.
2. Forgot network and re added it. Also forgot other unused networks. No effect at all.
3. Toggled airplane mode. No effect at all.
4. Ensured Intelligent WiFi was disabled.
5. Switched from randomized MAC address to phone MAC. No effect at all.
6. Performed a network settings reset. Annoying and had no effect on issue.
7. Reset router / modem. No effect
8. Turned off repeaters. No effect (didn't expect it to sine I have to manually switch to them when I'm in that part of the house).

Phone details:
Phone: Samsung Z Fold4
Android Version: 14
Kernel Version: 5.10.168
OneUI Version: 6.0
Software Updated to F936USQ3EWL9 Jan 7th, 2024.

My next step will be to contact Samsung support but I wanted to see if anyone on here can help. I searched for other forum posts on this but they all seem to be an issue with WiFi not turning on at all or something fixed with toggling airplane mode, etc.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have you also tried turning your wifi off on the phone, restarting it, then turning wifi back on again?

And also, since you said you've been having other problems with your phone, have you ever done a cache partition wipe on it?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Ive thought about this.........have your tried connecting to a different wifi different router to troubleshoot connectivity? I'm thinking it's your router! Try a totally different location and wifi connection.....I'm 🧐 curious?

Reactions: Laura Knotek