Im rooting tonight finally.. Have some ?s

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, i have set aside tonight to root my phone. Im pretty excited to get going on this little project but wanted to ask some questions of you guys. I am rooting mainly for better battery life, mobile hotspot, ad free apps,tired of waiting for ICS... And because i can.. My only thoughts are i want to make sure i install a Rom that is as bug free as possible and it would be nice to get 5 launcher items as well.. My question to u guys is, what rom are u running and maybe a few pros and cons you have found after using it for a while.. I haven't decided what i want to flash yet and this would be extremely helpful in making that decision!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on one of Calkulins (non-ICS). Very happpy with it. Have bounced around a bit, but landed with it.

Biding my time till SammySprint releases ICS officially into the wild for us.

Good luck.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming very close to doing the same. I've rooted devices in the past. For me it would be the battery life (through ICS), and the ability to back up all of my app data. This is truly the only area that I feel like Android trails Apple. The Apple back up is pretty seamless and doesn't require any modifications. I'm hoping this is part of the next iteration of the OS (possibly back to the cloud like webOS).

Let us know how it works out pdog, I might be joining you.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm coming very close to doing the same. I've rooted devices in the past. For me it would be the battery life (through ICS), and the ability to back up all of my app data. This is truly the only area that I feel like Android trails Apple. The Apple back up is pretty seamless and doesn't require any modifications. I'm hoping this is part of the next iteration of the OS (possibly back to the cloud like webOS).

Let us know how it works out pdog, I might be joining you.

You can back up apps+data with MyBackup and it doesn't require root access.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that pulling in the data required root. I had done it on a previous phone, but never actually restored what I had.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
That is fantastic news. I have some old backup files for a couple of games I really like that I never did anything with because I've never rooted my E4GT. I'm actually planning on keeping my E4GT as a "media player" when (if) I pick up the GS3. I'd like to move some of the games i play over to my new device with data.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine had to factory reset his phone and wasn't rooted so I told him to use MyBackup and it worked perfectly for him :)

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Disregard the picture .... Im rooted and have installed cwm , now time for a rom ...!!! Woot

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I really like the ICS ROMs that are out there. Friendly warning though, things can go wrong when flashing ICS ROMs. Follw the flashing instructions exactly as they are written. Some ICS ROMs require you to ODIN/Mobile ODIN the EL26 kernel w/ CWM before flashing anything.

As long as you're comfortable with it I say go for it!! :)

louie2701

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a question as well. I'm rooted and have Mijjz Blend "Goodness" (ICS) installed on my Epic 4G. That was the first and only ROM that i flashed. How hard or how easy would it be to flash CM9 instead? I have ROM Manager installed, should I continue to use that to flash? thanks in advance!!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a question as well. I'm rooted and have Mijjz Blend "Goodness" (ICS) installed on my Epic 4G. That was the first and only ROM that i flashed. How hard or how easy would it be to flash CM9 instead? I have ROM Manager installed, should I continue to use that to flash? thanks in advance!!

From what I've read, I would highly advise against using ROM manager. I believe when flashing CM9, it requires the EL26 kernel w/ CWM. A lot of the newer ROMs have Rogue Revocery and flashing CM9 can brick your phone.

What you would do is use either ODIN or Mobile ODIN to flash the EL26 kernel w/ CWM then proceed as instructed by the CM team for flashing the ROM.

Reactions: louie2701

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello again.. so I also decided to change roms" again" tonight.. I guess it is addicting! I went from calkuins 3.0 to CM9 alpha 4... I then was getting a little crazy and decided I would put s-voice on my device... um because I could..ha. I downloaded the sv zip file and was going to install via cwm, however when I boot to recovery its not the same as cwm 5.0.2.7.. or whatever it is... it just says Android recovery... it also doesn't have an option to flash from internal storage.. I'm just wondering if this is really cwm or do I have to get cwm back as this new recovery is maybe just for cm9????

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello again.. so I also decided to change roms" again" tonight.. I guess it is addicting! I went from calkuins 3.0 to CM9 alpha 4... I then was getting a little crazy and decided I would put s-voice on my device... um because I could..ha. I downloaded the sv zip file and was going to install via cwm, however when I boot to recovery its not the same as cwm 5.0.2.7.. or whatever it is... it just says Android recovery... it also doesn't have an option to flash from internal storage.. I'm just wondering if this is really cwm or do I have to get cwm back as this new recovery is maybe just for cm9????

It's not CWM. With ROMs like CM9 (or any AOKP ROM) you have to ODIN or Mobile ODIN teh EL26 kernel w CWM each time you wanna flash something. From my experience, once you ODIN and flash whatever mod you have, you also have to flash the ROMs kernel back to what it was or your phone won't boot up.

Reactions: pdog197804

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, this sounds like its a little to advanced for me to try a this stage... but if I was going to let me clarify.. so I'm on the kernal that comes packed with cm9... I should mobile Odin back to el26 like I had to before flashing cm9... then use cwm to flash my s-voice zip file... then before I boot back up try and find just the kernal that is packaged with cm9 and flash that using mobile Odin?..

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, this sounds like its a little to advanced for me to try a this stage... but if I was going to let me clarify.. so I'm on the kernal that comes packed with cm9... I should mobile Odin back to el26 like I had to before flashing cm9... then use cwm to flash my s-voice zip file... then before I boot back up try and find just the kernal that is packaged with cm9 and flash that using mobile Odin?..

You got it :)

It honestly does sound like a lot and it put me off a bit when I first heard of this but it's not as bad as it seems. I personally haven't used CM9 so I don't know how they lay out their downloads, but with the ROMs I use, the dev lists the repacked kernel that comes with the ROM in case we wanna flash any mods.

Where did you get the ROM from? Can you give a link?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays