Anyone in Houston TX

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyone out in the Houston area that has this phone and has problems with data? So far I have 9 tickets opened from tech support and taken my phone to the repair shop several times and I can't get over 30kbps downloads at any given time and area around Houston. Reliant, Missouri City, Beltway south areas all yield horrible results. The tech guy I spoke with tonight put in an order for my phone to be exchanged so before I do all this I want to know your speeds if you are in Houston. I just pre-ordered the gs3 with ATT because im fed up.

Also, the tech guy stated that 4g lte was completed on yesterday while 3g was completed today with upgrades.

Thanks,

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Ive had the same problem here in the Orlando Florida area. Dealt with tech support and emailed Dan@sprint.com also. I talked to tech support daily...they even sent me a airave and replaced my phone.

So its not just you, its everywhere and with every sprint phone and customer!:mad:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So its not just you, its everywhere and with every sprint phone and customer!:mad:

Many? Yes probably. Every? No, definitely not. I'm not defending Sprint ... they have a real network problem on their hands and need to get it resolved sooner rather than later, but the problems do not exist everywhere.

@ truthteller

I would assume the employees at your local Sprint store have their personal phones on the Sprint network, and I would also assume at least one of them has an Android phone. Have you asked them how their data speeds are? Have you asked them to install Speedtest.net and show you? I would, and it may be your best test. Yes they probably have signal boosters in the store, but you can still compare apples to apples. You may even get someone who is honest with you about their data speeds around town. I personally doubt your device is defective.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Many? Yes probably. Every? No, definitely not. I'm not defending Sprint ... they have a real network problem on their hands and need to get it resolved sooner rather than later, but the problems do not exist everywhere.

@ truthteller

I would assume the employees at your local Sprint store have their personal phones on the Sprint network, and I would also assume at least one of them has an Android phone. Have you asked them how their data speeds are? Have you asked them to install Speedtest.net and show you? I would, and it may be your best test. Yes they probably have signal boosters in the store, but you can still compare apples to apples. You may even get someone who is honest with you about their data speeds around town. I personally doubt your device is defective.

Sorry for the late reply but guess what? I walked into the Sprint store and installed the speedtest app on 3 display devices and ran the test on all three right there in the store. The results were abysmal. High Ping and download speeds of 20kbps. Its so bad in the Houston area they have the phones in the Sprint store on WiFi!!!! WTF is going on? They are hideing there network issues even at the store.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well at least you have your answer and know it's not your phone.

I'm not surprised about your findings regarding wifi on the demo phones though. Cell phone carriers have been doing that for years. Although I highly doubt that the primary reason is to try to hide poor data speeds. It's most likely company policy, to reduce the number of devices connected to the network. Add up all the demo phones across all the stores across the country and that's a lot of additional, unnecessary phones connected to an already overloaded data network.

Unfortunately there's simply not much you can do, other than continue to complain and wear on them to try to get out of your contract. Or you could bite the bullet and pay the ETF. The fact is, it is highly unlikely that Sprint will take a loss on that Epic 4G Touch that you're using now that they subsidized over an issue that states very clearly in their contract "results may vary". Its frustrating, I know, but it is what it is. You either deal with it and hope it gets better soon or fork over the ETF and move on.

Good luck. Hopefully a reasonable solution presents itself for you soon.

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
That is not the first complaint I heard about Houston area. I have great coverage here in Tampa/St Pete but if I am indoor in some area, my 3g speed is less than 100kbps.