[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

EVEVO

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Activate Phone??

I installed the old way and it seemed to work ok, but when I rebooted my phone, it tried to Activate via sprint over the air. I read on through the rest of the post and found that that thread was no longer relevant! Crap.
Anyway...I did the new way, everything is fine, BUT my phone is still trying to activate over the sprint network. It's as if I have a totally new phone. I keep canceling it for fear that it will send my new rooted status to Sprint...
1) what would have caused this?
2) should I just let it "activate" and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Activate Phone??

I installed the old way and it seemed to work ok, but when I rebooted my phone, it tried to Activate via sprint over the air. I read on through the rest of the post and found that that thread was no longer relevant! Crap.
Anyway...I did the new way, everything is fine, BUT my phone is still trying to activate over the sprint network. It's as if I have a totally new phone. I keep canceling it for fear that it will send my new rooted status to Sprint...
1) what would have caused this?
2) should I just let it "activate" and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!

There is no reason for it to activating. The only way it should be doing that is if you chose it under the settings. Try going into updates and update profile.

Are you sure is trying to activate and not update? There is an ota update coming to your phone. My best guess is it's trying to update your phone not activate it.

EVEVO

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There is no reason for it to activating. The only way it should be doing that is if you chose it under the settings. Try going into updates and update profile.

Are you sure is trying to activate and not update? There is an ota update coming to your phone. My best guess is it's trying to update your phone not activate it.

It was definitely not the OTA. That was separate message. Trying your suggestion, I accidentally hit "activate this device" in the menu and it started activating. I quickly pulled the battery, but not before it activated I think. Upon reboot, i now do not see the "activation" screen. So I went and tried to make a call. It gave me an error 16. A quick search on Error 16 shows that it is a security measure by sprint to determine if your phone is "hacked". Well, I certainly hacked my phone! People say that if you stay on the line that Sprint will fix it quickly. I'm sure "hacked" means rooted and I'm not sure what steps to take to avoid having this happen to anyone else. I was surprised that I was the only one on this forum to whom this has happened.
I found this on another board...not sure if it's bad form to post from another board, but here it is http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/385959-error-16-sprint.html
Thanks for the quick response. I'll post again if Sprint fixes it, and post again (from my computer) if they send armored guards to my house to take my rooted phone :)

Update: Sprint rep, "Sir, whatever you did, changing settings or hardware or something has triggered a security measure for your phone. I'm going to need to reestablish the connection and it will take a few minutes." me: "what causes that?" Sprint:"soft reset, software install, or something else...sometimes when you do those things the information is not fully registered" "we can't tell me exactly what triggered the event, but if you dial *2 they might be able to tell you."

Anyway, I turn off my phone for 2 minutes and now it's working again...data, calls, rooting, etc. Woo hoo!

Last edited:

nuyawker2000@

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Your in a different league dude,Unbelievable how organized and nice and clean you keep everything. Even I was able to understand the latest cwm. Where can I donate something.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Your in a different league dude,Unbelievable how organized and nice and clean you keep everything. Even I was able to understand the latest cwm. Where can I donate something.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

I do this to help, not to make money. Your appreciation is more than enough. :p

BajaGadget

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
First, THANKS for this write up!!! It is clear and simple. Well written Sir!

I got my phone in download mode fine but when I connect it to pc, I can't see the phone as a drive. Odin cannot see the phone as a drive either, when pressing PDA button.
Odin does have a blue box for the ID:COM status. COM3 if that matters.
Any idea why it can't see my phone's drive?

Oh, I forgot... I installed Kies, ran it, BUT I also installed the drivers from your Zip, so I think it overwrote the Kies drivers.
When I plug in the phone in download mode, windows installs new drivers for USB CDC composite device, and Samsung USB modem.
I'm trying it multiple ways, old drivers, Kies drivers.

EDIT: OK, I am dumb. I was looking for the file on the phone, not in the folder on my desktop. Disregard. Sorry! :)
Getting ready to do Recovery mode now.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
First, THANKS for this write up!!! It is clear and simple. Well written Sir!

I got my phone in download mode fine but when I connect it to pc, I can't see the phone as a drive. Odin cannot see the phone as a drive either, when pressing PDA button.
Odin does have a blue box for the ID:COM status. COM3 if that matters.
Any idea why it can't see my phone's drive?

Oh, I forgot... I installed Kies, ran it, BUT I also installed the drivers from your Zip, so I think it overwrote the Kies drivers.
When I plug in the phone in download mode, windows installs new drivers for USB CDC composite device, and Samsung USB modem.
I'm trying it multiple ways, old drivers, Kies drivers.

EDIT: OK, I am dumb. I was looking for the file on the phone, not in the folder on my desktop. Disregard. Sorry! :)
Getting ready to do Recovery mode now.

I was just about to comment on this. Lol... I wasn't going to call you dumb though... :D

calciphus

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, I've hit a bit of a stumbling block. I worked through it, but I wanted to post it here in case anyone else has this happen.

I ran through everything and had good success. However, once I restarted none of the Google apps could connect to the internet, specifically the Play Store and Gmail. Chrome worked fine, oddly enough. This was over both Wifi and 3G.

After restarting the phone this went away and everything worked just fine.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Does this create yellow triangle when rooting 4.1.1. I just got the S3 came from the S2.

Forget about the s2. This phone is nothing like it. Are you talking about the custom binary counts? Yes it does but triangle away clears it.

All Samsung phones have a binary count when custom tars are flashed in desktop Odin.