Use a nandroid backup on another phone?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If I get a replacement phone (same model) and root it, can I use the nandroid on my previous phone on the replacement so that it is set up the way the previous phone was?

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems that it would work. However the new phone has to be identical(obvious i know, just don't wanna leave anything out). The new phone would have to be rooted with the exact same custom recovery(version # included) first. And you will have to pull the nandroid from the current phone and put it in the exact same location on the new phone.

Thats my thought process on this. I'd wait for second opinion on this.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure the exact location of the nandroid matters (at least not with TWRP), but otherwise I agree with seanski.

To be safe, though, I'd also do a complete backup of apps and data using Titanium Backup, and save that to an external SD.

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I did this with my epic. Only problem I had was Facebook kept trying to sync no matter what. To solve it I tried the backup a 2nd time and immediately uninstalled Facebook. Then reinstalled it and I was good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

42rj21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It seems that it would work. However the new phone has to be identical(obvious i know, just don't wanna leave anything out). The new phone would have to be rooted with the exact same custom recovery(version # included) first. And you will have to pull the nandroid from the current phone and put it in the exact same location on the new phone.

Thats my thought process on this. I'd wait for second opinion on this.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

Just to confirm, you actually have to be on the same exact version of TWRP? Not just any version? I haven't updated TWRP forever and I also save my nandroids to Dropbox just in case I lose my phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38