Question Can't setup S20 Plus after factory reset

idkwhat.ido

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
After reseting/wiping the data using recovery menu (because we didn't remember the pin code) and after that when setting up the device after factory resetting it the phone tells me to use a previous owners email and I am 100% sure using the previous email used on this device. Can anyone help please help?

idkwhat.ido

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Yes it was always been my mother's and yes I am sure of her email and it's password since I created it for her. Before that it was mine and I used my personal Gmail. And I tried to use my email but it didn't work it said I have to use the email that was used before, which I did.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to persist about this, but did you or your mother buy it new directly from the carrier, or from Samsung, or from some well-known retailer like Best Buy? Or was it from a lesser known online seller or reseller? I ask because sometimes it can be tricky to know for sure what the status of the device is when you buy it from a lesser known seller.

idkwhat.ido

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Sorry to persist about this, but did you or your mother buy it new directly from the carrier, or from Samsung, or from some well-known retailer like Best Buy? Or was it from a lesser known online seller or reseller? I ask because sometimes it can be tricky to know for sure what the status of the device is when you buy it from a lesser known seller.
We bought it brand new with box 📦 untouched by anyone else. First user was me and the second my mother. I did this factory reset because she forgot the pin code.

idkwhat.ido

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
After wiping the data using recovery menu and restarting, it says:

[PDP]
back-up:fail
No back up file

I think this is the problem but I don't know why it happened. It's not my 1st time wiping using this method but it was the first time doing it bypassing the pin code. Hope this information helps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Double check your using the correct email and password allow it to show your password as your entering it so u definitely know it's correct.
If trying both emails and password and it won't allow you to go past that then something you have forgotten this is part of Android security to prevent unauthorized user to get access to personal data.
So next steps are to contact Samsung or go to a Samsung experience shop to verify who you are and should help you further.

idkwhat.ido

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
I understand it's part of their security and it's a fail safe. But I am 100% sure of my passwords and it even takes me to the next step where it asks you who will be using the phone, me or my kids. After that it says "Something went wrong" and makes me sign in again.

I want to know what is the right way to factory reset my Samsung device if I don't know my pin for future reference please. Thank you very much for the help. I guess I will take it to Samsung.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I understand it's part of their security and it's a fail safe. But I am 100% sure of my passwords and it even takes me to the next step where it asks you who will be using the phone, me or my kids. After that it says "Something went wrong" and makes me sign in again.

I want to know what is the right way to factory reset my Samsung device if I don't know my pin for future reference please. Thank you very much for the help. I guess I will take it to Samsung.
The correct way is factory reset in the phone settings this will wipe all user associated data but unfortunately you can't do that , recovery factory resets but still leaves user data

Reactions: idkwhat.ido

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's the issue it will ask for the email and password associated with the account on the device with factory reset in recovery and like I mentioned If wrong email and password is used it won't let you go further, that's why you have to contact Samsung and they can verify it's you .

Reactions: idkwhat.ido

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, I know I'm late to the party, but there's no 2 factor ID, Google calls it 2-Step, set on either account is there? Not knowing which account it's asking for, which really should be your mother's since it was last setup using that account, you'll want it to be turned off for your attempts.

2-Step can be difficult to navigate when trying to set up a device that was factory reset using the button method vs the menu method. You may have to disable it for brief time while logging into and setting up the device.

Barring this you may have to contact Samsung for assistance. I doubt they'll give you a solution but perhaps the device can be returned to them for factory resetting to it's true default and you'll be able to start fresh. If there was lay-persons way of bypassing this security feature it wouldn't be much of a security feature. Barring the advice given here Samsung may be your only option.

Best wishes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000