I can upgrade: GSIII or wait for next Nexus?

Wiitard12

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Guys, this is killing me and I really need some input... Should I get the GSIII or wait for the next nexus? Right now I'm using an evo 4g and have been eligible for an upgrade since April, but I just can't decide.

I love stock Android 4.0...It's definitely my fave and it's how Android should be. I would have gotten a gnex a long time ago but the specs are just so outdated now... And also the bad radio. So I've really been checking out the GSIII...and it looks great.

I know I'd love the nexus more, but man that's a long wait lol. Also, what If it doesn't even come to sprint this year?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you root? if so then ...
IMO, you should get the S3.

why? because you can load any launcher you want and put stock ICS on it if that is your desire.

The Nexus may have better specs then the S3 but no-one knows that just yet...so all you have to go on is previous experience...

Look at the s2 vs the nexus... for me, I want expanded storage,and a better camera...its also important that i have a removable/replaceable battery...but whatev. My point is, the nexus wasn't a better phone then the S2 IMO. In fact i thought it was a step back in terms of hardware. Especially now that the software for the s2 has caught up. If i had to buy one now, i'd get the s2 over the nexus. Something tells me the next nexus device will be similar. It may get a quad core, and updated software...bu you won't notice a difference between them unless you run benchmarks.

Jellybean will most likely come out on the next nexus first...but i doubt the S3 won't get it eventually....besides, there will be ports of it early for rooters as well.

Also, you couldn't ask for more dev or 3rd party support...the s3 is going to be on every major network with the same design shape and similar specs. people will have and support this phone more then any other android in the past. Maybe the next Nexus will have support like this, but I can't see the majority of ppl who just bought the s3 dropping it for the next Nexus...and most of us will be under contract for the next 2 years...

Last thing... you KNOW you're just DYING to get a new phone now...so stop torturing yourself and order the S3 today :D lol

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You made the right choice because i suspect the wait for the next nexus woulda been pretty long. I personally believe we've seen the last CDMA nexus device in the galaxy nexus. So I'm not spreading FUD let me explain that's my opinion and here's why i say that.....

In feburary Google removed CDMA devices from being "official developer" phones. Heres some info but let me explain further. Google said they would continue to support and update the current CDMA phones, which isn't a big shocker. What i also read is, they removed the devices, are supporting them so they don't piss off loyal users, but will never again launch a nexus CDMA device. Another big supporter of this idea is the fact google is once again selling phones direct to consumers. Because of the way CDMA works and carrier restricting devices by ESN, google is unable to sell CDMA devices direct to consumer, they will always have to sell them through the carrier. Word has it google is so committed to this distribution model, they may unveil 5 nexus devices soon. It would be a logistical nightmare managing 5 devices, with likely different chip sets, and if you toss in CDMA you now have completely different radios. Leave CDMA out and they can use a pentaband radio and sell it world wide, no special sauce needed, and they can sell directly to the masses.

Again it's just an opinion, it's not a fact and google has said no such thing but you gotta admit ... it's a pretty solid conspiracy theory.

Reactions: bigdaddytee

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally believe we've seen the last CDMA nexus device in the galaxy nexus. What i also read is, they removed the devices, are supporting them so they don't piss off loyal users, but will never again launch a nexus CDMA device. Another big supporter of this idea is the fact google is once again selling phones direct to consumers. Because of the way CDMA works and carrier restricting devices by ESN, google is unable to sell CDMA devices direct to consumer, they will always have to sell them through the carrier. Word has it google is so committed to this distribution model, they may unveil 5 nexus devices soon. It would be a logistical nightmare managing 5 devices, with likely different chip sets, and if you toss in CDMA you now have completely different radios. Leave CDMA out and they can use a pentaband radio and sell it world wide, no special sauce needed, and they can sell directly to the masses.

Again it's just an opinion, it's not a fact and google has said no such thing but you gotta admit ... it's a pretty solid conspiracy theory.

That would leave big red and sprint in a tough spot.

...but arent there cdma networks being used in Japan as well? or anywhere else?
I have to believe that if Goog is willing to put in the effort to support 5 devices they wouldn't want to cut out the number 2 and 3 carriers in the US... or anywhere else for that matter. it would make more sense for them to support 1 device everywhere rather than releasing 5 competing devices while limiting their market to only GSM.

It would make more sense that they devote 1 manufacturer per radio band... Samsung builds a quad core non LTE for the UK. LG build a quadcore Krait CDMA LTE for the US. Motorola builds a HSPA+ GSM for the US. Huawei is in the mix somewhere, while Asus builds the Nexus tablet.

...who knows

interesting thought tho, looking forward to their announcement :)

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I would just get the s3 and take good care of it. When the nexus comes out and if it's a must hAve, then sell your s3 and use whatever you get for it towards the purchase. That's what I usually do. You pay more than upgrade cost but its not a huge amount. Good luck :)
Sent from my HTC One X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana