Android Beam/S Beam Question

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to beam a picture from my S3 to my Nexus 7 and can't do it. Web pages, maps etc work. Any ideas?
Know s beam is supposed to between two S3. Is Android beam with pictures just a jellybean thing?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to beam a picture from my S3 to my Nexus 7 and can't do it. Web pages, maps etc work. Any ideas?
Know s beam is supposed to between two S3. Is Android beam with pictures just a jellybean thing?

Not sure its possible as it is a galaxy s3 only function. However I am looking into it.

This is correct. This is a galxy s3 feature only. You can only do it from galaxy S3 to another GS3. Here is an article I found on it from phone arena.com

Samsung says that S Beam will allow Galaxy S3 phones to exchange a 1GB movie for three minutes and a 10MB music file for two seconds, and it all works even without a Wi-Fi or cellular signal. Now, those speeds are achieved using Wi-Fi Direct, but if you look at NFC transfers, it’s much slower and in reality is closer to Bluetooth speeds. If the person you send a file to doesn’t have Wi-Fi on, S Beam will be smart enough to turn it on for the transfer and off when it’s done.

The bad news? S Beam pairs only Galaxy S3 phones, and no others, so compatibility is pretty limited. We’ve tried the feature in London, but couldn’t quite get it to work - still here’s a video of our attempt and the S Beam interface.

I have gotten it to work without a problem using my daughters and my gs3's. Also used it to transfer a full length movie from my friends gs3 to mine. it took less than 3 minutes.

Last edited:

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure its possible as it is a galaxy s3 only function. However I am looking into it.

This is correct. This is a galxy s3 feature only. You can only do it from galaxy S3 to another GS3. Here is an article I found on it from phone arena.com

Samsung says that S Beam will allow Galaxy S3 phones to exchange a 1GB movie for three minutes and a 10MB music file for two seconds, and it all works even without a Wi-Fi or cellular signal. Now, those speeds are achieved using Wi-Fi Direct, but if you look at NFC transfers, it?s much slower and in reality is closer to Bluetooth speeds. If the person you send a file to doesn?t have Wi-Fi on, S Beam will be smart enough to turn it on for the transfer and off when it?s done.

The bad news? S Beam pairs only Galaxy S3 phones, and no others, so compatibility is pretty limited. We?ve tried the feature in London, but couldn?t quite get it to work - still here?s a video of our attempt and the S Beam interface.

I have gotten it to work without a problem using my daughters and my gs3's. Also used it to transfer a full length movie from my friends gs3 to mine. it took less than 3 minutes.

That's a bummer. But I did find this article

http://m.androidcentral.com/jelly-bean-feature-sending-photos-and-videos-over-android-beam

That Google enabled picture sharing using Android beam in jellybean. So hopefully we will get jellybean on the s3 soon!