Disappearing keypad

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
When I use the phone to make a call which involves having to select an option from a menu system, the keypad disappears the moment I try to make a selection. It takes a couple of attempts to make a selection before the keypad stays up. I called Sprint about this, but they don't seem to have heard of this issue before, and suggested I take it to a store for evaluation. I know that will involve a reset, but this was a problem before and after the recent software update.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Open you phone dialer. Menu/call settings/auto screen off during calls. You can turn this on or off.

I am guessing you have a screen protector on your phone and it's interfering with your proximity sensor. There are several ones on the market that have done this. Most notably the glass ones. There is a fix for this. If you think this could the case with your phone, let me know and I will point you in the direction of the fix.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
In a firm voice tell your phone "that's enough got dammit!"

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I do have an otterbox case which has a screen protector. I'll try the suggestion with the keypad setting. I wonder why Sprint can only suggest a reset to fix any problem with the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's the face-sensor being triggered by your other fingers most likely. I was dumbfounded by this too. I would suggest the following RATHER than turn it off, since it's a really useful feature.

Try: just stick out your index finger, keep the rest of your fingers knuckled. See if it still disappears when you use the keypad now. :)

If you're like me, you press with your index finger and your middle finger will wave up and out, RIGHT in front of the sensor (next to the camera on the front).

SumGuy954

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue.

If I need to use key pad while on a call the screen lights up as I pull it off my face, but as soon as I am about to press a key the screen goes black. I have no case or anything. This has happened to me with nearly every Android phone I have owned. Never when I first get it though. Factory reset does not make any difference.

I am guessing lint or dust, or maybe age. but its always withing a few weeks to a month after purchase no matter the phone. I keep my phone in my left front pocket. The screen side ifaces my leg, to keep me from accidentally cracking it. I am not sure if any of that has anything to do with it

I tried to find the setting you said but no luck. I also combed through a bunch of other displays setting and no luck.

I have a Samsung Avant, with Metro PCS.

I highly doubt a factory reset will help anyone because I have done that a few times with many phones. I would really like to get this bug behind me. This bugs been bothering me since I had the G2x.

THX

Lllamaman

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Try using the keypad with one finger pointed, instead of an open hand.

If you look closely at the phone, on the screen side there are two dots to the right of the Samsung logo. Those are the proximity sensor. If any part of your hand gets too close to those while you are using the keypad, it will think your face is close by and turn off the screen.

My partner was using an open hand to push the keypad buttons; her middle and ring finger would sometimes get close to the proximity sensor and shut off the screen. Using a pointed finger solves this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana