As we suspected

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Post pics and why did you choose this phone? It's not going to be a big seller.
My son is one of those people who strongly prefer a physical keyboard. He is in the midst of getting to know the phone, but so far, he really likes it. In my limited playing with it, I felt it has very good build quality, bright and vibrant screen, & comfortable keyboard. ICS is nicely done.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Only issue with your first two choices is samsungs weak radios... But iirc, gnex has jellybean

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My son is one of those people who strongly prefer a physical keyboard. He is in the midst of getting to know the phone, but so far, he really likes it. In my limited playing with it, I felt it has very good build quality, bright and vibrant screen, & comfortable keyboard. ICS is nicely done.

Would you say moto skin is lighter than sense and how's the battery life?

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Post pics and why did you choose this phone? It's not going to be a big seller.

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

Why would you think that? The Epic is two years old and people are starving for a new slider. Granted it's only qHD and the fixed battery is not an ideal situation especially when it's smaller than many batteries (fixed and removable) out there. Solid build, solid keyboard, good quality screen even if it's not HD. S4 processor (same as the slates although not the 2gb of RAM the GS3 has) and better radios than Sammy.

Personally slates suck for real work productivity, the kind that allow you to leave your laptop at home. If your phone is a toy to you and you want to play games, send texts and do light email then enjoy your swiftkey or swype. For some there is no replacement for a good physical keyboard. My Epic has become an invaluable work tool where every time I tried a slate (Epic Touch, og Photon) I was left wanting and frustrated.

I think you understimate the market. There is a reason why the Epic is the only phone not to have been EOL'd two years after its launch. It's a shame the Relay won't make it's way to Sprint from t-mob. But hopefully the better radios in the Q will improve the battery life over the Epic and not leave many of us wanting for a removable battery to switch out.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me how you do real work with your phone?

also, I said that since this is a ethusaiest site and my phone also isn't popular and was WILL less than a year after release.. I checked out the phone and it's a nice phone but I wanted opinions why people bought it.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Can you tell me how you do real work with your phone?

also, I said that since this is a ethusaiest site and my phone also isn't popular and was WILL less than a year after release.. I checked out the phone and it's a nice phone but I wanted opinions why people bought it.

I live in docs to go. Do all my invoicing, pricing and proposals. Will go through powerpoints and with hdmi now on the photon might even try doing a presentation off of the phone. I sync everything with dropbox and foldersync. I use ringcentral to send everything to fax machines direct from email when I can't email something. Ringcentral also allows me to receive faxes in email as well so I don't have to be home to get a fax. That's the basics right there. My Dell 11z sits charged underneath my car seat and gets used a few times a month. If I need to do any impromptu presentations one on one I use my 8.9 tab. So if I ever need the big screen, I use the tablet.

The keyboard makes editing and navigating a breeze, and I've yet to find anyone who can begin to keep up on a slate. Maneuvering through spreadsheets, responding to info you need to view while you type. Or just referring to info while you type is much easier when you have access to the full screen.

I had the Epic until now and the Moment before that. Have also owned the Hero, Evo and Photon. Have to keep the original Photon because the Photon Q is not a world phone, or should I say an extremely crippled world phone.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tirith

dvs1j#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Blwe have it at Best Buy Mobile for $149 with new or upgrade. Its pretty badass IMO. Thinking of grabbing one for wife and depending on how she likes/dislikes it, she might want my gs3. Since its same and I do work there I can grab something else. She really wants note2 but doubt highly its coming to Sprint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

wemetzger

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Like many of you, I have a Samsung Epic Slider, and I went to check out this phone. I have decided against it for now, mainly because of the price, and here is why:

SPEED
Yes, it is 1.5GHz, but with my custom ROM my Epic is still comfortably running 1.2GHz, so not a major upgrade. And then San Francisco still has WiMax and no LTE, so until this changes, my Epic is still getting faster over the air data.

SIZE & SCREEN
This was the most disappointing. Especially when it was next to the sleek Galaxy III. Yes, it is a slider, but still, my two year old Epic feels just as thick as the Photon Q. It felt just as heavy, and felt the same in my pocket. The major bonus here is that the screen is bigger. But, the part of the screen is taken up by the buttons. And finally, the resolution or just plain screen brilliance on my 2 year old Epic still feels superior.

BATTERY
The embedded battery kind of stinks. Especially because the battery is not huge. With my Epic, I saw the battery degrade over time. 2 months ago, for $8, I got a 1800 mAH battery. So now, I have a battery better than the Photon, and a spare to boot.

So, bottom line, I am not gonna drop $200 on a phone that is inferior or just as good as my Epic. Maybe after a huge price drop, and LTE is fired up around here, then I might. But I am more inclined to wait for a superior slider to come out, or to give up my need for a physical keyboard and get a "thin" phone that has an awesome battery and incredible screen like the Galaxy S3.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Like many of you, I have a Samsung Epic Slider, and I went to check out this phone. I have decided against it for now, mainly because of the price, and here is why:

SPEED
Yes, it is 1.5GHz, but with my custom ROM my Epic is still comfortably running 1.2GHz, so not a major upgrade. And then San Francisco still has WiMax and no LTE, so until this changes, my Epic is still getting faster over the air data.

The Q is dual core, S4. Comparing a single core 1.2Ghz to a dual core 1.5Ghz is like comparing a Malibu to a Corvette.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site

SPEED

SIZE & SCREEN
This was the most disappointing. Especially when it was next to the sleek Galaxy III. Yes, it is a slider, but still, my two year old Epic feels just as thick as the Photon Q. It felt just as heavy, and felt the same in my pocket. The major bonus here is that the screen is bigger. But, the part of the screen is taken up by the buttons. And finally, the resolution or just plain screen brilliance on my 2 year old Epic still feels superior.

BATTERY
The embedded battery kind of stinks. Especially because the battery is not huge. With my Epic, I saw the battery degrade over time. 2 months ago, for $8, I got a 1800 mAH battery. So now, I have a battery better than the Photon, and a spare to boot.

So, bottom line, I am not gonna drop $200 on a phone that is inferior or just as good as my Epic. Maybe after a huge price drop, and LTE is fired up around here, then I might. But I am more inclined to wait for a superior slider to come out, or to give up my need for a physical keyboard and get a "thin" phone that has an awesome battery and incredible screen like the Galaxy S3.
You have no clue about the processor especially if you're read just a smidge and see all the premium slates are running the S4. You could possibly gripe about 1gb of ram when the GS3 has 2gb.

I highly doubt you got a samsung Epic Touch 1800mah battery for $ so most likely your 3rd party isn't coming in at 1800mAh. Just saying asn I've bought a few 1800 3rd party ones. Not going to judge overall battery life, but the phone does charge quick. First work week with it kicks in this week so...

Screen res is a disappointment, but having used the Q for a few, I'll take it over the Epic's screen any day, especially outside.

Sure I want 720p on a 4.3" screen with real buttons, not on screen. I want 2gb of ram, and I want a 2000+ mAh removable battery. I think there is a ZERO chance of that happening in the next year. Don't think I could keep the Epic for another year. The Photon is that much smoother than my Epic running TPR. Am I completely happy? No. The battery is still a big question mark for me.

wemetzger

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I left out the dual core part, my bad. No question the Photon is faster, I even noticed it at the store. I guess my original point was, yes, it did feel faster, but was it worth $200? And finally, when I am most frustrated by speed is when I am out and about and using a lot of data, and here the biggest bottleneck is the 3G speeds. So, I am not willing to sacrifice my WiMax over 3G just because the processor is faster. Until LTE comes, 1.2 single core is worth the trade off.

I got a third party battery. It is working great, and better than the 1500 OEM ever worked. I understand it wont compare to a 1800 OEM, and will degrade faster, but I only need it for 6-9 more months, and for $8... good enough.

So, yeah, I'll see where we are in 6 months. I disagree with there being zero chance of something new coming out for sliders... I heard rumors that Samsung would release a slider. Who knows, maybe a Nexus slider will be announced by year end.

thejesusegg

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I played with the phone today at a corporate store. I was hoping for something a little better. The phone felt flimsy. Not solid and hefty like the original photon. Hard to believe that the Q doesn't support Google wallet either, or the other way around. Will wait and see what the new LG superphone ends up like.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Why would you think that? The Epic is two years old and people are starving for a new slider. Granted it's only qHD and the fixed battery is not an ideal situation especially when it's smaller than many batteries (fixed and removable) out there. Solid build, solid keyboard, good quality screen even if it's not HD. S4 processor (same as the slates although not the 2gb of RAM the GS3 has) and better radios than Sammy.

Personally slates suck for real work productivity, the kind that allow you to leave your laptop at home. If your phone is a toy to you and you want to play games, send texts and do light email then enjoy your swiftkey or swype. For some there is no replacement for a good physical keyboard. My Epic has become an invaluable work tool where every time I tried a slate (Epic Touch, og Photon) I was left wanting and frustrated.

I think you understimate the market. There is a reason why the Epic is the only phone not to have been EOL'd two years after its launch. It's a shame the Relay won't make it's way to Sprint from t-mob. But hopefully the better radios in the Q will improve the battery life over the Epic and not leave many of us wanting for a removable battery to switch out.

I couldnt agree more. While I LOVED my evo LTE and it was a great phone and the camera well lets just say I was quite the shutterbug with it. But my smartphone is a tool. The evo LTE was great for a while (release to last night), but the lack of a real keyboard made typing real emails, texts and internet replies a PITA. I sold my evo LTE to my mom for a recently replaced epic 4g and cash and I couldn't be happier (on the work side). Sure I miss the fun factor and the camera something fierce, but again its a tool and not a toy as I do about 80-90% work and 10-20% play on my phone.

Add in the bountiful wimax in my area, great screen and the ability to work efficiently/comfortably and Im starting to forget the greatness that was my evo LTE. On the flip side if your simple texting, game playing, web browser the evo LTE is the clear winner. If you like to take pictures and dont have a DSLR the evo decimates the epic. But if its a work tool the epic is hands down better.

The Q is dual core, S4. Comparing a single core 1.2Ghz to a dual core 1.5Ghz is like comparing a Malibu to a Corvette.

Im a power user and I have yet to see a reason to require multi core processor on an android based device. Most decent single core CPUs handle multiple threads of data (very rare on android use) well. I noticed ZERO difference while working with SSH + VNC while listening to music and switching over to browser/email/texts all while having 2 simultaneous connections over ssh/vnc.

Honestly thats about as hefty as youll get and that doesnt even tax the CPU enough to worry. The only reason I see for having a multicore CPU in an android based device is for a) bragging rights or b) synthetic benchmarking pride. Both have nothing to do with real world use. While android is powerful in its usefulness in a pocket device, it is NOT the type of OS that you can or would even want to use several threads to warrant a multicore CPU...

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
The processor and ram also mean quicker interaction, faster transitions, apps opening. I also have no apps residing onthe sd which is nice for swapping cards. That being said, i think mine is going back. I'm not even getting to mid afternoon without the low power actions kicking in. I'm sitting on the car now charging before i have to run back up to the OR. So f'n productive :rolleyes: Tomorrow will be interesting to see how a full day in the goes with no charger. Of course i'll have one as backup. Can't afford not to play it safe. So i could be back on the epic tomorrow night.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The processor and ram also mean quicker interaction, faster transitions, apps opening. I also have no apps residing onthe sd which is nice for swapping cards. That being said, i think mine is going back. I'm not even getting to mid afternoon without the low power actions kicking in. I'm sitting on the car now charging before i have to run back up to the OR. So f'n productive :rolleyes: Tomorrow will be interesting to see how a full day in the goes with no charger. Of course i'll have one as backup. Can't afford not to play it safe. So i could be back on the epic tomorrow night.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah a lackluster day for me with my first day back on the epic 4g and Im sitting at 71% with moderate use on an extended battery and my extra extended battery is just collecting lint in my pocket. Not bad for 6am-4pm considering the battery's age and all.

Might try out the photon q just to see what its all about but I know I wont be able to buy it and honestly with a 1750mah battery Im glad. The 2000mah in the evo LTE seemed to last 1.5-2.5 days depending on use which was a surprise as I carried around my battery pack and cord for a few days thinking Id need it one the go.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you want samsungs notorious radios, I'd choose the gs3...

Otherwise... Keyboard, q. No, e4lte

I dont know the Moment and Epic have great radios. Its the GPS that wasnt so hot on the epic...as Im finding out currently.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I played with the phone today at a corporate store. I was hoping for something a little better. The phone felt flimsy. Not solid and hefty like the original photon. Hard to believe that the Q doesn't support Google wallet either, or the other way around. Will wait and see what the new LG superphone ends up like.

The in store model I played with had wallet installed....

Display looks great, idc about resolution, I go with what my eyes see.

Love the keyboard, easy to get use to.

Still thinking about using my fiancee's upgrade to get me this....