Battery - Reason to Root

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or am I the only person that can get 2 days 15 hours on average WITHOUT being stock? I use the phone every day, only charge every other day to every two days.

Seriously, people complain that it only lasts a few hours in one day...what are you guys doing with your phones?

honestly I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've got stock ROM and Kernel - haven't ever rooted anything before (just because I haven't taken the time).

I had the same setup on my EVO 4G - except that the EVO had more crap running from HTC and Sprint than the Nexus S does (but everything I downloaded and installed is the same - minus YouMail - I caved and did it because I missed my visual voicemail - but the EVO ran visual voicemail, so I'm counting them as the same). I'm only getting marginally better battery life. It MIGHT last till the end of the day - and that's if I stop using it when it hits 25% battery life - and only use it to lightly check email or make a phone call.

On the other hand, my EVO would drop like a rock when it 25% and I couldn't save it - I just gave up.

I charge my phone every night with the stock charger that came with it - I don't use it as an MP3 player and don't have it running tons of stuff.

I do have facebook and tweetdeck pro running in the background - but it's set for like an hour on facebook and 15 min on Tweetdeck Pro - so nothing to often. WiFi stays off - GPS stays on.

I think this is one of the reasons I really don't like the Nexus S but I am stuck with it - at least till upgrade time in November. I thought the battery life would be better and I'm finding, overall, at least for me, it's not.

What I don't get is the timer - it says 2h 40m 7s on the battery - but I know the phone's been up way longer than that - i did a battery pull last night and it's been up every since - it came off the charger around 10:30am EDT this morning before I left for church - and it never went down - I checked the time a couple of times this morning in church so I know it was on.

Last edited:

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I always forget that Facebook has email notifications. I think I turned them off. If I can turn fb off that would help ten fold. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
honestly I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've got stock ROM and Kernel - haven't ever rooted anything before (just because I haven't taken the time).

I had the same setup on my EVO 4G - except that the EVO had more crap running from HTC and Sprint than the Nexus S does (but everything I downloaded and installed is the same - minus YouMail - I caved and did it because I missed my visual voicemail - but the EVO ran visual voicemail, so I'm counting them as the same). I'm only getting marginally better battery life. It MIGHT last till the end of the day - and that's if I stop using it when it hits 25% battery life - and only use it to lightly check email or make a phone call.

On the other hand, my EVO would drop like a rock when it 25% and I couldn't save it - I just gave up.

I charge my phone every night with the stock charger that came with it - I don't use it as an MP3 player and don't have it running tons of stuff.

I do have facebook and tweetdeck pro running in the background - but it's set for like an hour on facebook and 15 min on Tweetdeck Pro - so nothing to often. WiFi stays off - GPS stays on.

I think this is one of the reasons I really don't like the Nexus S but I am stuck with it - at least till upgrade time in November. I thought the battery life would be better and I'm finding, overall, at least for me, it's not.

What I don't get is the timer - it says 2h 40m 7s on the battery - but I know the phone's been up way longer than that - i did a battery pull last night and it's been up every since - it came off the charger around 10:30am EDT this morning before I left for church - and it never went down - I checked the time a couple of times this morning in church so I know it was on.

I would consider syncing every 15 minutes very often - every 1 or 2 hours is a better option for battery life. Also, WiFi saves battery (if you have a connection, don't leave it on if it's constantly searching for an access point) and GPS drains it - switching those two from your current configuration might help.

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I would consider syncing every 15 minutes very often - every 1 or 2 hours is a better option for battery life. Also, WiFi saves battery (if you have a connection, don't leave it on if it's constantly searching for an access point) and GPS drains it - switching those two from your current configuration might help.

I thought having WiFi on drained the battery - I don't always have a connection unless I'm at home - and then I'm not usually on the phone, I'm at the computer, so haven't really had a need for it. I could turn the GPS off I guess - I don't really use it consistantly - I've just always had it on. I'll try it.

As for the person with the question mark about the time I mentioned in my post - I've had my phone up and on since I did a battery pull this morning around 3am. To me that means the phone has been up (at 1pm) right at 10 hours, not the 2 hours and 30 min since it came off the charger. Just my thoughts - I can be wrong!

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
What's the most display-on time you guys are getting on a single charge? I know the AMOLED screen really drains the battery, so I'm wondering what y'all are getting. For 40 hours of usage, for example, dunivan, how many hours is your screen on?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I regularly get 40+ on the stock rom and kernel.

Let me get this right...you're not rooted, you actually occasionally use your Nexus...and you get 40+ hours without needing to charge?

Sorry...I just don't know if I can believe that. I have actually let my phone sit an entire day untouched, bathed in the awesome signal from my Airave, and when, after about 18 hours, I hit the power button to check email, the battery was down to the mid-20s. I've tried every method described to manage power consumption, turned off all sorts of syncing and notification. I rarely turn on wifi and only use bluetooth in my car. My NoLED dismisses after 15 minutes and with proximity sensor activation. I even tried JuiceDefender. The best day my phone ever had was the day I described above, and I ended up plugging it in soon after so it would be fully charged when I woke up.

I do not listen to music or watch movies on my phone. The most intensive stuff I've done on it include games like Words With Friends or Angry Birds...and Skype, which I've only used three times.

I am sure there are a few things I could try to squeeze maybe two to four more hours out of it...but 40? Sorry...I'm not buying it.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Let me get this right...you're not rooted, you actually occasionally use your Nexus...and you get 40+ hours without needing to charge?

Sorry...I just don't know if I can believe that. I have actually let my phone sit an entire day untouched, bathed in the awesome signal from my Airave, and when, after about 18 hours, I hit the power button to check email, the battery was down to the mid-20s. I've tried every method described to manage power consumption, turned off all sorts of syncing and notification. I rarely turn on wifi and only use bluetooth in my car. My NoLED dismisses after 15 minutes and with proximity sensor activation. I even tried JuiceDefender. The best day my phone ever had was the day I described above, and I ended up plugging it in soon after so it would be fully charged when I woke up.

I do not listen to music or watch movies on my phone. The most intensive stuff I've done on it include games like Words With Friends or Angry Birds...and Skype, which I've only used three times.

I am sure there are a few things I could try to squeeze maybe two to four more hours out of it...but 40? Sorry...I'm not buying it.
I don't care if you buy it or not. I don't lie and even if I were to lie about this, what do I have to gain? I'm not selling these things out of the back of a van. I'm also not the only individual to make such a claim.

I'm rooted, but stock. I have nothing on my phone in the way of Defender this or Manager that.

LeaninBack916

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I use Pandora a lot. I have Oxygen + Net kernel now. Is Pandora a huge battery drain? What about the music player? I am trying to get a full day off a morning charge and I am ready to die usually within 5-6 hours. I just did a calibration though so we shall see. I did have stock rom/rooted before with that battery. I am a huge music person, I listen all the time between work, the gym, and home.

Hoping calibration will bring change *Obama voice*

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
chud, after the 40 hours, what's your display time like? It seems to drain the battery like crazy, so I'm wondering how to get 3 or 4 hours of screen-on time.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
chud, after the 40 hours, what's your display time like? It seems to drain the battery like crazy, so I'm wondering how to get 3 or 4 hours of screen-on time.
I don't know off the top of my head accurately enough to say. Display is usually at the number one or number two spot for use. But I did charge it after I made my last post and will do my best to use it as I usually do and then grab some numbers and a screen shot.

Reactions: imekul

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If I just root my phone and stay with the original rom does it also make battery life better?
No not simply from the act of rooting alone. Rooting just gives you access to some deeper areas of the phone. It doesn't change anything.

I haven't done anything to my phone that a non rooted person can't do. Things like a black background, keeping the display brightness all the way down when indoors, turning on wifi only when i know i'll be able to use it for an extended period of time, setting wifi to never sleep, etc. No battery monitors or resource managers etc.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Question.

are you guys overclocked or underclocked?

for me, my phone is less then a week old, i rooted it, unlocked the bootloader and thats it.

im underclocked running at 800mhz with netarchy 1.4.0 cfs for stock roms. (funny i didnt know i was turned all the way down to 800 until i looked!) and its still butter smooth.

i get pretty good battery life but im not seeing 20+ hours...

my display is usually turned way down, no pandora or anything like that, i also turn off gps when not using. little things like that.