[How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyB08

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Nexus S 4G which i just unlocked yesterday by following this video on Youtube. How to Root the Nexus S / Nexus S 4G with one click root v4 - YouTube which suggested I do the TWRP download into the phone. Anywho, everything went fine and Superuser was downloaded onto the phone. But now I don't know how to proceed. What is the next step after installing the bootloader and unlocking the phone. I keep hearing about installing ROMS and these other things but I dont see any step by step instructions on what to do after you unlock the phone. Can you please help.?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Nexus S 4G which i just unlocked yesterday by following this video on Youtube. How to Root the Nexus S / Nexus S 4G with one click root v4 - YouTube which suggested I do the TWRP download into the phone. Anywho, everything went fine and Superuser was downloaded onto the phone. But now I don't know how to proceed. What is the next step after installing the bootloader and unlocking the phone. I keep hearing about installing ROMS and these other things but I dont see any step by step instructions on what to do after you unlock the phone. Can you please help.?

Welcome to the world of rooting and custom ROMs.

You have accomplished the hard part by unlocking, rooting and flashing a custom recovery. Now its up to you to download your ROM of choice, be careful to make sure you see the NS4G or crespo4g "tags" included in whatever ROMs you download. You don't want to flash the wrong version on your NS4G.

Next once it is downloaded you place the ROM zip file as is, on your internal sdcard.

Shut down your device.

Press and hold Volume up & Power at the same time. This will bring you to the bootloader screen. From there you select RECOVERY (use you volume up/down to scroll and power button to select).

You will then be booted into your custom recovery. In your case TWRP.

First you want to make a stock setup backup. So select backup and allow it to make its backup. This will take a few minutes.

Next flash your ROM... Select WIPE from the main menu, then factory reset, then cache then dalvik cache.

Next from the main menu select INSTALL. You will then be shown your internal sdcard contents, find the ROM zip you downloaded and select it. Follow the prompts and the dev's instructs to flash any additional packages (Google Apps, kernel, etc..).

Select Reboot, then System when done and sit back and enjoy ;)

You need further help, just ask....

Paul.

CopShootCop

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you using fastboot in the bootloader to
flash cwm? if you need the files I can shoot you a link to my dropbox

hey there. i am having same issue. im unlocked and rooted and flashed codename android rom thru rom manager but apparently didnt officially install cwm so cant access backups, rom mgr, market, keyboard, voice search etc. so im stuck with a rooted device that i cant do anything with. maybe you could share your dropbox link with me and tell me how to properly install recovery.
many thanks, Donnie

Status
Not open for further replies.