ICS "Search" on the Nexus S 4G (Contacts)

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
ICS "Search" on the Nexus S 4G (Contacts)

It's definitely changed since Gingerbread for me. I currently have my searchable items settings set for only Google & People.

Currently I have over 5,000 contacts on numerous gMail accounts and one exchange server. The search feature on Gingerbread was ingenious in the fact that if I were to search the name "Jim Thompson", the contact would come up as normal. Then, maybe I would search "Andrew Baker". Then, I may need to search for "Jim Thompson" again. Now, since I selected "Jim Thompson" recently, the search result would put "Jim Thompson" at the top of my list (instead of e.g. Jim Anderson). All I would need to do is type the "J" & "Jim Thompson" would pop up. It was great! It's like a cookie was dropped & my phone knew what I was looking for. Very intuitive.

Now, it seems that the search is very "spotty". Sometimes I search by "company" & sometimes I search by first or last names. In GB, this was not an issue - I could find the person I was looking for easily. Now, it's "hit or miss" whether or not the person/company I am searching for even populates as a result. I know that they are in my phone, but sometimes they do not show up in my search results.

I've never use the "Contacts" or "People" application when looking for a contact (I'm not a scroller). The capacitive "Search" button on the NS4G will (used to) find anything you're looking for.

I'm running Nova Prime as my Launcher, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I hope not.

I haven't even made a dent in my storage space, so that should be OK. I don't have any crapware or games (except Osmos HD) installed on my phone.

Has anyone else noticed the downgrade (much slower results or no results at all) in search results since the ICS update?

I'm not complaining, but I just want to know if anyone else is having this issue. If not, then I will probably just do a hard reset on the phone & see if that cures my problem.

stevemj@usa.net

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This is a serious problem. I have the Razr Maxx 4.04 and the Galaxy Nexus 4.1.1(Jelly Bean), Both phone have the identical problem (BUG). This really pisses me off. How the hell could such a basic feature and searching a name on a smart phone (any phone) be broken with new versions of software and nobody noticed! I have 3000 contacts on my phone and it is dam near impossible to find the name I'm looking for. Maybe someone at Google will get on this problem fast.

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Makes me miss my old Treo sometimes. I've gotten used to the slow search now on ICS. No big deal.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
It is weird that a company that makes billions from search is so bad at it in their premier product Android.