Google voice search not enough time to complete your voice search???

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
For all dictated Google searches, as soon as you pause for even 1 second, Google starts the search.

Google does not give you enough time to complete search using voice.

The results are it can take many tries to dictate your search because you have to dictate without pausing or thinking.
You end up filling your search library or history with a lot of incomplete searches.

This is really, really, annoying and it happens in Google Chrome, Google search, or Google quick search on the Pixel 7.

You need more time to dictate a search??

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't really have an issue with this, but I can see how it would be a problem, especially if you have cognitive or speech issues...

That said, this forum has nothing to do with Google, and you should submit feedback to them. They will almost certainly ignore it, but at least you will know you tried!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a good question, and one which I see has been asked elsewhere without much resolution. I'm not sure there's any way to adjust how long Google Assistant waits before it initiates the search or command. This is partly why I tend not to dictate -- I almost feel a bit of stress knowing that I need to complete what I want to say in a prompt manner.

I'll pose the question in another forum I'm part of, which is run by an Android uber-master, and see if he is aware of any solutions or workarounds.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
There's a setting, under Accessibility -> Timing Controls, called "Time to Take Action", which seems like it would tie to this, but it looks like it's just about notifications. There's also a control to slow down the audio-output rate, sure would be handy if there were a mirror for input.
I tend to dictate a lot, but I did some voice design for a bit and ran a dev/test team in the same area, so I sort of plunged off the deep end (at the time) into it. I admit though, that as I get older I spend more time correcting, than I'd like, when I trail off on occasion, and for occasional mis-recos.
It's a tough thing though, to handle pauses/gaps if they're not terribly consistent. It hosed us on a regular basis, but these days it does seem like even a small amount of machine-learning could be handy here, to reflect a users' cadence (or the fact their cadence tended to vary a bit).
@B. Diddy I'm curious to hear what you find, I didn't spend my typical time digging around before responding here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, no luck yet. JR Raphael can usually dig pretty deep into things like this, but right now I think he's a little preoccupied with getting ready for tomorrow's Pixel event.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I really appreciate the newsletters that he puts out. Sure seems like a good resource for this one, and understandable he's busy right now...

Reactions: B. Diddy