Best Buy Insurance Experience

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
First off for the people that don't know, I choose to go with the Best Buy insurance plan on my NS4G. The Sprint one was $7 a month and required a $100 deductible if I did anything to it or lost it (those prices may of went up). The Best Buy one was $10 a month and covered everything except lost with no deductible. Though I was told they would give me a donor phone and would need to put a deposit on it of $50-$100 that would be refunded when my phone was fixed. I should also mentioned they said they would fix my phone, not replace it.

After dropping my phone a million and a half times I finally got a small chip in the top right corner of the glass (not even on the screen). Didn't really bother to get it fixed. A few weeks later got a little angry and threw my phone across the house. This cracked the glass around the speaker pretty deeply and nice so I decided to get it replaced.

Took the phone to Best Buy Mobile in the mall, completely rooted if that matters, and asked for a replacement. They didn't ask any questions at all. They gave me the option of fixing the phone which would take up to five weeks, or send me a refurb which would take up to 5 days. I choose the refurb, I didn't want to wait. They gave me an EVO4G as my donor phone and didn't charge me any deductible what so ever, though he warned if I did anything to the phone I would need to pay the fee. They called me 4 days laters letting me know my phone was there. Picked it up, seemed pretty much brand new, not a refurb.

Overall experience with them was an A+. 10000 times betters than any insurance interactions I have had with Sprint in the past. The guy also informed me I can call up Geek Squad and request a second battery for free. That way I always have an extra. :).

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Same here.. The experience wasn't bad, and usually waiting for service at a Best Buy will take up less of your time than a Sprint store. To me time is money, and the $3 difference per month is worth it. I didn't opt for the loaner phone, as my ol' Palm Pre still works ok as a backup.

The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't give me a new battery with the phone- made me take mine when I turned it over to them. I would think "new phone" means "new phone with battery".. But that's fine.. OEM batteries are dirt cheap these days if I ever need on.

formula355

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I will add to the success of Best Buy's insurance plans.

My wife dropped her brand new Optimus S in the cat's water bowl (don't ask how, because I really don't know) about a month or two after we got it. Took it to Best Buy, went through the same stuff as you and they told her it'd be about a week or so until her new one was in. I got home from work the NEXT DAY and there was a message on the machine saying her phone was ready to be picked up. I couldn't believe how fast it was. For $10 a month, you can't really beat it.

Plus, another down fall to Sprint's insurance is I'm pretty sure they don't cover water damage. But that's just what the guy at Best Buy told me, so I could be wrong on that.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I will add to the success of Best Buy's insurance plans.

My wife dropped her brand new Optimus S in the cat's water bowl (don't ask how, because I really don't know) about a month or two after we got it. Took it to Best Buy, went through the same stuff as you and they told her it'd be about a week or so until her new one was in. I got home from work the NEXT DAY and there was a message on the machine saying her phone was ready to be picked up. I couldn't believe how fast it was. For $10 a month, you can't really beat it.

Plus, another down fall to Sprint's insurance is I'm pretty sure they don't cover water damage. But that's just what the guy at Best Buy told me, so I could be wrong on that.

Not sure if the guy was trying to push the BB insurance on you, but they definitely cover water damage. I dropped mine in the river, and took it back to sprint and they just charged me the deductible. Maybe each store treats it differently and these guys let me slide. That was with my Evo4G as well. Things may have changed since then. I also opted for the BBuy insurance with my NS4G. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but it's comforting to hear how smooth the process is with them.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if the guy was trying to push the BB insurance on you, but they definitely cover water damage. I dropped mine in the river, and took it back to sprint and they just charged me the deductible. Maybe each store treats it differently and these guys let me slide. That was with my Evo4G as well. Things may have changed since then. I also opted for the BBuy insurance with my NS4G. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but it's comforting to hear how smooth the process is with them.

I can confirm this as well.

Citizendino

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My experience was horrible. I think that Best Buy is a rip off with their Black Tie deal. I will never buy anything from Best Buy again.

va2azerik

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear I have it on my Nexus S 4g but never had to use it. Good to know it does what it says it does. I almost called last month to cancel it, now I am glad I didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty