Problems updating to Jelly Bean

Chris71Mach1

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So I have a Nexus S 4g that I have rooted, and it's been working great up till I tried to install the OTA push of Jelly bean onto my phone. It seems to go normal, I get the OTA notification, I tap "install now", and then the device reboots. and starts installing the new OS, but I'd say it gets about a third of the way done (judging by the progress bar), and then I get an error screen....I know it has a name for the error or screen, I just don't know what it's officially called. It's the Android character with a triangle to the left and an exclamation mark inside the triangle. This happens every time I try to update the OS. From that point, the device is crashed, and I have to pull the battery and reboot it to even use it from that point. Though that being said, rebooting the device is just fine, and it works as usual after the reboot. The whole issue here is that I'd like to upgrade to the new OS, but it just keeps crashing anytime I try to. Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
You need to have stock recovery for the OTA to succeed. The simplest way would be to fastboot the stock ICS recovery.img back in place, accept the OTA, fastboot your custom recovery back in, then flash your root package yo regain root privileges.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Edit : Okay, got something else for you to try, assuming you dont know how to do the leg work to find and fastboot those files. I have 2 options for you. Start by downloading and extracting this to you PC desktop. http://tinyw.in/ESmW. Also verify your contacts are synced to your google account. Then connect your phone to the PC via usb.

Option 1 - I recommend this method as it will also perform a factory reset to do this but you will end up with jellybean with your current custom recovery. Jellybean really performs best after a factory reset anyways. Download a superuser package onto the SDcard, I recommend this one here (look for the CWM flashable towards the bottom). Open the folder on your PC of the "one click return to stock". Make sure you see a bunch of *.img files to know you are in the right place. Then assuming you are on either vista or win7, hold shift + right mouse click within that folder and click "open command line here" or something to that effect. That will will give you a command prompt already at that directory. Now on your phone make sure you have USB debugging enabled (settings>developer options> and enable usb debugging there). Once you verify you have that, back to the command line. I will make this very simple, just follow my steps exactly.

Type
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
That will reboot your phone into the bootloader. Once there, type these one by one and allow each to finish before doing the next.

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img

fastboot flash radio radio.img

fastboot flash system system.img

fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

fastboot reboot recovery

Now you will be in your custom recovery, so flash the superuser package we downloader on the sdcard earlier and you are set. Reboot and reconfigure your phone in 4.1.1. All your files on your SDcard are still intact, but you will have to sign back into your google account and download apps and reconfigure as you like.

Now if that seems like to much work (trust me it really is the way to go, but your choice!) you can do this. Follow the directions above to get into the bootloader then type

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot reboot

This will boot you back into ICS but now with your recovery back to stock. Now you can accept your OTA. This way you will keep all your data, apps and settings. Once you boot into 4.1.1 use rom manager or goo manager to reinstall your custom recovery.

Good luck!!

Edit2: if you have problems with you computer not connecting, you likely don't have to proper drivers installed. Install PdaNet (http://junefabrics.com/android/) on your pc and it will install the needed drivers.

Last edited: