First impressions and Hands-on reviews go here! :)

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my nexus online last night. I am really not liking all of the negative reactions. It reminds me of the first few months with my palm pre.

I will state this right here, right now, I will not own a phone where I am always waiting on the next update to fix something. I've been there, done that with the Pre minus.

I have a feeling I will be taking advantage of the 30-day return. I am sick to my stomach that THIS is the Android device I finally gave into (and I dont even ahve it in hand yet),

I was nervous too.... but let me tell you, it has exceeded my expectations. I miss WebOS and the ease of use (maybe because I was so used to it) but love the hardware of the Nexus so far and all the apps available. I haven't had any issues with battery life yet. I've made a few phone calls today, its getting all my emails, and a little browsing on wifi, and the battery indicator has gone done just a tiny bit... its been off the charger since 8 this morning...

Srycantthnkof1

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
THIS IS NOT LIKE THE PALM PRE. I repeat... THIS IS NOT LIKE THE PALM PRE. i have no gripes at all with this phone that lead me to how i felt after launch with the palm pre. Wi-fi is fine it works it just needs tweaking. I have had only one bout with lag. The only issue i have is with the phone speaker its just quieter than the pre. Other than that this phone rocks!

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
agree with the two above me. This phone rocks. So much better than my palm pre. I have fallin in love with it so much. The hardware is just what I wanted. The screen is just beautiful. The battery life is a ton better then my old pre. I took it off the charger at 730am. surfed the web, got 15 emails, text messages, listened to 4 hours of streaming espn radio and at 345pm I got a low battery alert saying I had 15% power left. I have to say that's pretty good. If that was my palm pre i would hve had to charge it around 1045am! No lie.
You are not going to reget getting this phone.

va2azerik

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what all the negative reviews are for, my battery if doing great and what is expected from a smartphone (way better than my Pre). My screen is great and very responsive, I get great coverage (might just be where I live. Phoenix AZ) WIFI in my house has been strong. The speaker is def not as loud as my Pre was but acceptable for me. App store is great, call quality is good. Overall I am a happy camper with my new phone, so to me it is a keeper. Maybe I got a factory freak like my Pre because everyone who had a pre was always talking about being on the 4th, 5th, 6th phone. My Pre lasted the entire time and just about a month ago the usb door cover fell off lol.

cbrisman

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the last few posters. my battery is lasting me hours longer than the Pre would & i am having much heavier usage now from playing around with new phone.

Larryg46

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Lagsalot

Internet can be quick but usually slow to load. Tried to listen to FM internet radio on the bus this morning...kept cutting out even with strong signal. Bus has wifi but when I connected it blanked out reception. On some screens when entering text, there's no way to minimize keyboard to see the next text box. Didn't have these issues with my Hero...but it had other quirks that drove me nuts. Moving closer to swapping for an Evo.

Last edited:

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI for you larryg46. The lag for the internet is on all android device i have tried with the stock app. Use dolphin HD browser. So much better. For the FM internet radio. What app were you using? I was using TuneIN mobile and only had one cut out.

Mpaige

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
2 Thing for me... 1st phone works excellent! Wifi, screen, internet, etc.... I'm coming from an Evo. 2nd I can't believe how many of you still had Pre's... :)

jtc411

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI for you larryg46. The lag for the internet is on all android device i have tried with the stock app. Use dolphin HD browser. So much better. For the FM internet radio. What app were you using? I was using TuneIN mobile and only had one cut out.

Not true at all. I've had both the epic 4g and the Evo and have had no scrolling or internet lag with the stock browser. When I had the nexus s on tmobile it was the only android browser I've used that was borderline useless. All other browsers seem to be pretty good, obviously not iphone like but still much better than the nexus.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I came from the EVO and can't decide if I like this yet. I do not like the new keyboard. Anyway to get the older version keyboard back and use the calibration tool? The no led notification is annoying but not a huge deal, I'll go with BLN eventually. The size is nice, but hard to get used to coming from the brick evo haha. The display is great and very vibrant. No issues on my wifi. I'll have to give this a few days and see if I want to keep it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
If you guys want a streaming radio app that includes clear channel radio stations, you can grab the iheartradio app from iheartradio . This app doesnt show up in the market for N devices or CM builds so you'd have to get it from their website.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
2 Thing for me... 1st phone works excellent! Wifi, screen, internet, etc.... I'm coming from an Evo. 2nd I can't believe how many of you still had Pre's... :)

Hey, not all of us buy a new phone every year ;) I also stand by my belief that webOS is a much nicer UI than anything out there now. And I want it to succeed. I was hoping to get a Pre3 honestly, but HP has not put faith into "making things right" for their original Pre owners. I'm on Sprint, and have no idea if I'll see a webOS device. I can only wait so long before my hardware fails, and I'm one of the lucky ones on my 2nd Pre since day 1 (my brother is on his original Pre from day 1).

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I am coming from an Evo, and i dont miss my Evo at all! I LOVE how Stealth this phone looks, sure it could be made a little better ( cough cough Samsung ) but overall its Google approved! So i approve it and love it, its onle 0.3 of a screen size difference between this and the Evo, and the batter on my NX4G is better than my old Evo...just waiting on my Phantom screen protector.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Get the EVO!

Traded my Hero for Nexus S 4g on Wednesday. I've had many "mobile" phones since 1972 (yes we had electricity back then). Nexus s is a great improvement over hero, but still has some issues. Two quickies... 1. Won't detect my Bluetooth headset. 2. Major issue for me...no native sync with Outlook. HTC sync is free and worked great. Third party software to sync Samsung costs $40 and reviews are less than stellar. May have to exchange for an Evo...would like to hear from anyone who switched from Evo to Nexus S.

Not having wifi problem mentioned by others. My router is downstairs and I can go upstairs to opposite end of house and remain connected.

Good news - unlike hero, voice dial works well. So does voice to text for messaging. Would be a bonus if voice dial worked with Bluetooth.

I have had an EVO since release date. I tried the Nexus S hoping to gain some speed and a screen I could view outdoors. I found several other areas the Nexus falls way short of the EVO: Evo screen is a tiny bit better outdoors, poor touch recognition on Nexus, terrible reception both on 3G, 4G and WiFi, terrible email client, terrible contacts and calendar client, no Outlook syncing, very low volume on calls and media compared to the EVO (which I think is pretty low compared to other phones), all plastic doesn't feel as solid as the EVO, battery life only 15 minutes better on Nexus compared to EVO (I thought the Nexus would win hands down with the S AMOLED display), yellowish tint on Nexus screen, not easy to hold with glossy plastic body, Only advantage is that streaming movies is a little clearer on the Nexus due to the GPU.

Get the EVO, so many more options and better build quality. Unless you are an Android developer, not much of an advantage to go with the Nexus.

I returned my Nexus today and reactivated my EVO. I am a happy camper now.

evoldroid

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Question For those of you coming from the EPIC 4G:
Is it worth the upgrade? Please give a detailed explanation :)

I switched from the Epic.There are alot of differences between the two.Like no notification light ,When i get a text there is nothing on the app to let me know i have one.I have to look at the top of the screen.Its little things like that.But if i had to do it over again I would.There are some issues with 3G at times but im sure Google will addresse all the issues.Its new and with new things the wrinkles has to smoothed out.So IMO go for it.Im very happy with the phone

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have had an EVO since release date. I tried the Nexus S hoping to gain some speed and a screen I could view outdoors. I found several other areas the Nexus falls way short of the EVO: Evo screen is a tiny bit better outdoors, poor touch recognition on Nexus, terrible reception both on 3G, 4G and WiFi, terrible email client, terrible contacts and calendar client, no Outlook syncing, very low volume on calls and media compared to the EVO (which I think is pretty low compared to other phones), all plastic doesn't feel as solid as the EVO, battery life only 15 minutes better on Nexus compared to EVO (I thought the Nexus would win hands down with the S AMOLED display), yellowish tint on Nexus screen, not easy to hold with glossy plastic body, Only advantage is that streaming movies is a little clearer on the Nexus due to the GPU.

Get the EVO, so many more options and better build quality. Unless you are an Android developer, not much of an advantage to go with the Nexus.

I returned my Nexus today and reactivated my EVO. I am a happy camper now.

I think nexus screen is better outside. I have had no touch response issues with my nexus. Reception is a tad below EVO, but the EVO was the same way...fixed with a software update. Never used Outlook so not sure on that. My battery seems to be holding up well. I don't have any yellow tint on my display, but it does get a bit blue if you angle it. The evo was certainly a good phone, I hope this will be too.

Last edited:

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I used mine all day and when I plugged mine in at night it showed 22%. Anything running in background? What's your display set to? Does that happen everytime or just once?