Where are my Gmail Contact Groups?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The good news is that your are not crazy. The bad news is that the native contacts app does not support groups as the online version does.

Is time we as a group go the Google support blogs and start asking for all these basic functions to be included on the stock apps.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I love that you included the word -BASIC-. There are so many basic things that you expect modern apps to do that these simply don't.

bowmanm3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Where are my Gmail Contact Groups???

Sorry to necro this thread, but it seemed like the logical place to ask this:

Is there a way(app or setting) to send email to one of my gmail groups without having to type in each name?

I coach, and I like to send out email to all the parents to remind them of the schedule each week. I used to have an Epic and I would just compose an email and tap the contacts button, pick the group, then select all the members of the team's group. Is there a decent app that will let me do that?

Hogwilde1

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing in Android 2.2.2 all of by contact groups did sync to my device.
now in 2.3.4 only the My Contacts group syncs to my device. I find this very disappointing I used to be able to select a group of contacts and find the one I wanted. I also did not have to have all of my contacts in the My Contacts group. Only the ones I use most frequently.
In the interim I move all 900 of my contacts into My Contacts but I hope they fix this.

Jeff

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This is ridiculous. How is it that Google, developer of Gmail, and Google, developer of Android, cannot get their act together and allow Gmail Groups to be used in their Android Gmail app??

I'm curious, how do Google employees send messages from their Android phones to a group of their coworkers? They use some third-party app like Contacts GroupU or the phone's Contacts app? Surely this can't be so...

Even with third-party workarounds, the lack of integration between Gmail Groups and the Android Gmail app is disconcerting. It does not allow users to simply forward an e-mail to a group of contacts. And it reveals a big, gaping hole in Google's efforts to integrate their products for a seamless user experience. Please fix this, Google.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Not that it helps but I haven't found a way in ICS on the NS4G to send emails to groups.

The new "People" app that replaced Contacts does have great support for viewing and editing the group but I have yet to see a way to email an entire group.

I

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
glad to see I am not crazy, I really miss this feature from my BB, I have 3 groups and they are listed on my GN contacts, but no luck in getting a group email to send or forward. This really suxs! I can do it from the home computer but not my "Smart phone", what a joke goggle and gmail are for missing this option.

klrjaa

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
On the android phone, go to contacts, then press main menu. Select Display Options, then select the google account. All your groups will be there but only the System Group by default is checked. Drove me crazy too. Obviously, make sure you sync your contacts to your device before doing all this. Hope this helps.

jerry 12

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
On the android phone, go to contacts, then press main menu. Select Display Options, then select the google account. All your groups will be there but only the System Group by default is checked. Drove me crazy too. Obviously, make sure you sync your contacts to your device before doing all this. Hope this helps.

I had been looking for two hours for this info and thank you. What is the system group in gmail ? :confused:

SteveCG

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Also, Thanks for the help on the groups. I followed your instructions and sure enough all seven groups were just sitting there waiting to be checked so that they would show and be available for use when i touched the two person icon. Worked perfectly! SteveCG

jerry 12

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
This is ridiculous. How is it that Google, developer of Gmail, and Google, developer of Android, cannot get their act together and allow Gmail Groups to be used in their Android Gmail app??

I'm curious, how do Google employees send messages from their Android phones to a group of their coworkers? They use some third-party app like Contacts GroupU or the phone's Contacts app? Surely this can't be so...

Even with third-party workarounds, the lack of integration between Gmail Groups and the Android Gmail app is disconcerting. It does not allow users to simply forward an e-mail to a group of contacts. And it reveals a big, gaping hole in Google's efforts to integrate their products for a seamless user experience. Please fix this, Google.
Coming from a BlackBerry 9930 and could send email to any of my groups or forward a email to a group by just clicking on the group folder and have gone back in time twenty years in time with the gmail on my Razr Maxx it is so disappointing because i use my email a lot and forward to my groups daily. I am still in my 14 day window so i don't know what i am going to do now. Is there any apps i can get to fix is big hole in the gmail mobile on my Razr Maxx ? :mad: :(

chrisawol

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
This DID NOT WORK for me. While I followed your steps and selected all my groups, when I go to the Native or the installed from the market Gmail app on my Droid RAZR MAXX on VZW, when I try to compose or forward an email and start to type a group name my group does not appear. I should not have to enter every person separately.

One thing I did found if you go to contacts and then groups then select that group then hit the menu button, you get option to send a text or email. Which I did and it seem to work for a new email but not a forwarded one. And it is alot of unnecessary button clicks to get to something so basic.

Droid RAZR MAXX on VZW
Hate Ninja MOTO BLUR
Love Launcher Pro

marcomessina

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
On my HTC Incredible, in the People app at screen's bottom the second option is the "groups". List groups, select the desired one click "share", select gmail

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
On my HTC Incredible, in the People app at screen's bottom the second option is the "groups". List groups, select the desired one click "share", select gmail

Unfortunately, that's a feature in HTC Sense (my Gingerbread-based Thunderbolt also has this), but not a native feature of Android.

Brandon Baum

May 5, 2014
Visit site
For the Samsung phones you can email a group by going to contacts and selecting the Groups tab. Then longpress the group you wish to send the email to and a menu will appear (Delete, Send Message, Send Email, Edit Group). Tap send email and the corresponding email tool you wish to use and it will open up from the pop up.