Can't decide!!!

Dantastic

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so here's the thing, I have the awesome beast of a phone known as the Atrix, it does everything I need it to do and more...however, I'm getting really tired of blur and the occasional lags that comes with it. Add to the fact that this thing still has froyo, even though gingerbread has been supposedly in the works for it since before it's released, and it really gets me pissed! This thing has a dual core, but it isnt even utilized, so the day to day use, like unlocking the phone, can lag a lot at times. And then there's that damn locked bootloader and the innability to install unknown sources. Because of this, I missed out on downloading Plantz vs. Zombies for free on the Amazon App Store! lol.

Anywho, I went to a local Sprint store to check out the Nexus S, and this thing was just amazing. There's no lag between screen changes or menus, no locked bootloader and innabilty to install third party apps, and it unlucks with out any lag. The screen is also beautiful, the colors may be over saturated, but boy, do those colors look amazing. Don't even get me started on those deep blacks!!!! The Atrix may have a qHD display that produces a higher resolution, but the Nexus S makes the Atrix's screen look plain. And to top it all off, it comes with the latest version of Android! It really goes to show how a Manufacturer skin and useless apps can bog down a device!

So i really want this device, but I keep reading and hearing about all these horrible reception and wi-fi issues. How it can't hold a decent connection, and how wi-fi is crap on this device. My sister and mom both have an EVO, and they always have full bars of reception, so I guess if I buy this device, comaparing them to the EVOs' receptions could be a good indicator, that and Sprint's service is excellent in my town. These connection issues are the only thing holding me back from getting this phone. It's an amazing device, and I really want to get it so i dont have to hassle with a horrible UI skin. I'm even willing to pay the ETF to leave AT&T to get this phone.

Seeing as how you guys are proud owners of the NS4G, I wanna hear you guys chime in with your thoughts and opinions. And if there are reception issues, if there's a fix coming any time soon. Oh, and sorry for writing so much! :p Thanks for taking time out of your lives to read this! :D

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
If you're not liking the Atrix, then switching phone is a good idea. I can't speak to the reception issues with NS4G; I have the original NS. The WIFI seems a little weak, and it acts flaky sometimes when connecting to a WIFI (like taking a while to go "green"). I just kind of roll my eyes when this happens. But the 3G on T-Mo seems quite decent and the call drops seem no worse than when I was using the Palm Treo / N1 on AT&T.

Perhaps, this idea might work: Is there a "second" choice on the Sprint network you like? If you're willing to pay the ETF fees to get out from AT&T, then having a "Plan B" on Sprint's network would be a good idea in case the NS doesn't work out. You could always exchange the NS for your second choice.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Dantastic

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the NS4G and I love it. I have issues with my radios, but it hasn't bothered me too much. I haven't dropped a call. My data speeds aren't that great though. Everything else about the phone is perfect to me. I love the hardware and Gingerbread. I thought my iPhone 4 was awesome. It has nothing on my Nexus S.

dparisoe

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any real issues with the wifi mine seems to work perfect. I have noticed some strange behavior with phone signal on occassion but most of the time it works well, it doesn't seem to be much worse then the evo users I know. Battery life seems to be much better then the evo owners that I know.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems with the radios. I get the same reception as I dis with my pre. If you happen to be in a 4g area, you're in for a treat. Wimax is way faster than I thought it would be. But I'm in chicago and I think we have one od the best 4g connections around.

You're right how smooth and fast thee nexus is.

Battery life is way better than my old pre. I get an avg 14-16 hours and I'm a heavy user.

It's a great phone, go for it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
just as a heads up, you can always go to amazon.com and buy the app of teh day there without having the store on your phone.. so you know when att decides not to be douches you can have all those cool apps ;)

Reactions: Dantastic

HighLife#AC

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
sitting in my bedroom and I have full bars on 3g and full wifi bars as well. I traveled to East Lansing and then Buffalo NY by car over the last week and had internet connection the entire time on both trips. Connectivity with this device can be patchy at times but overall it is not a big enough reason not to try it out and see how it works in your location. I really love this phone and am confident the radio issues will be fixed OTA in the next month or so

Dantastic

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
just as a heads up, you can always go to amazon.com and buy the app of teh day there without having the store on your phone.. so you know when att decides not to be douches you can have all those cool apps ;)

Wha?! I had no clue about that! Oh well, at least I know about it now :)

And as for everyone's responses, thank you very much! :D Keep those opinions coming!

After reading what you guys have to say, it doesn't seem like this whole connection issues are that big of a problem...though, I could be entirely wrong. I guess it wouldnt hurt to give the NS4G a try. Sprint does have that 30 day satisfaction policy, so if I'm unhappy I can just return it and not have to worry about any contracts. Oh, and Font1975 has a good point, having a plan B device is a good idea. The EVO 3D does look pretty good...aside from the whole 3D thing lol. But thanks again guys! And keep em' coming! :D...or not lol.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames