Question Question about boosting my wi-fi

DG16052020

May 16, 2020
Visit site
I live in the UK and I used to get my Internet access from British Telecom, until it was taken over by EE. I access the Internet via wi-fi, which is provided by a network of cellphone transmitter masts. The problem is, I'm on the very fringe of the transmission area for the nearest mast, which means that I get logged out every half hour or so. Obviously, there's no way of getting nearer to the transmitter or boosting its signal, but is there any device I can attach to my Samsung tablet and my laptop to make them more sensitive to the signal?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So this is a public Wi-Fi access point you're connecting to, not one you own in your home?

If that's the case, I would talk to your provider. There are Wi-Fi extender/repeater devices, but those are meant for personal Wi-Fi networks you own. Not sure if there's anything like that available for your use case, but your provider should be able to help with that or other solutions.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't think your provider can do anything to boost the tower signal to your property. I have the same problem here in the UK where I live and the only answer for voice calls is to use WiFi calling over a discrete internet connection.

You say you used to use BT/EE for your dedicated internet. Is there a reason why you cannot sign up with another provider which would solve your problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter