Photon vs Nexus S 4G - signal strength?

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Now that many of the Photons are arriving in new owners' hands, I though it would be a good time to ask this.

I'm one of the many that are currently stuck with Samsung's lemon known as the Nexus S 4G. I'm hoping that the Photon will be a fix for the problems I've been having since day 1 (dropped calls, data disconnects/resets, no signal, etc...). Has anyone had a chance to compare the Photon alongside the Nexus S 4G, specifically in the area of signal strength (phone/3G, 4G, and WiFi)? I'd love to hear real-world experiences of anyone that has switched to the Photon from the Nexus S 4G.

redbullsc10

May 29, 2011
Visit site
yep im in the same boat man. My evo had 4 bars and my nexus gets 1 maybe 2 if I'm lucky. Really thinking about trading in my nexus and my evo on monday for the photon at best buy. I love the screen on the nexus and the pure experience but if i cannot send texts or make phone calls its not worth it to me.

But yeah anyone who has any experience with reception on the photon please post. also how does the speaker work with people hearing you, on my nexus people get a ton of background noise which is annoying.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm watching this thread too. Love my nexus but the signal (data speed) just sucks. I get full signal sometimes but still slow download speed. Hopefully the photon is better.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

PanzyDog

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Got the Photon yesterday at 2pm. Activated it and put my Nexus 4G aside. Happy to report the signal strength is amazing. Both 3g and 4g clearly out perform my Nexus. I have full bars of signal strength pretty much all the time now! Also GPS actually works now! I use Strava for biking and it would never find the gps signal on the Nexus but on the Photon it locks on every time. So far I am pretty impressed with this Moto.

Razgriz24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have both the NS4G and the Photon right now...I can definitely say that the Photon has better strength than the Nexus does, even after the 2.3.5 update.

redbullsc10

May 29, 2011
Visit site
how about sound quality i usually have my window down when i drive and when i had my evo people would rarely here wind but with the nexus its ridiculous people can never hear me. Any one messed around with the microphone on the photon as far as this would go?

thanks.

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine today so I can't speak to wind noise, but I can attest to the great signal strength. With my EVO 4G sitting next to the Photon, when I had 1 bar on the EVO I had 4 bars on the Photon. I used to run 20%+ on "time with a signal" with the EVO. I'm only at a couple of percentage points on the Photon, and that may be partly due to turning radios on and off multiple times today. Really impressed with the Photon right now.

Srycantthnkof1

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
how about sound quality i usually have my window down when i drive and when i had my evo people would rarely here wind but with the nexus its ridiculous people can never hear me. Any one messed around with the microphone on the photon as far as this would go?

thanks.

The dual canceling mics work great.

I was one of the first to report the Nexus's ****ty signal strength on this site and on sprint. The photon with side by side comparison just blows samsungs crap radio away. The photon just is just a step above the nexus as a phone. To me the Nexus just feels incomplete.

jsjr76

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Now that many of the Photons are arriving in new owners' hands, I though it would be a good time to ask this.

I'm one of the many that are currently stuck with Samsung's lemon known as the Nexus S 4G. I'm hoping that the Photon will be a fix for the problems I've been having since day 1 (dropped calls, data disconnects/resets, no signal, etc...). Has anyone had a chance to compare the Photon alongside the Nexus S 4G, specifically in the area of signal strength (phone/3G, 4G, and WiFi)? I'd love to hear real-world experiences of anyone that has switched to the Photon from the Nexus S 4G.
I just got the Photon and I gotta tell ya, GET IT!! Signal is waaaaaaay better than the Nexus S. I would get A bar of 3G at home, now I get 4 to 5. Better than the Evo 3D too. The UI is stellar and the keyboard is amazing. I have an phone on crapT&T and this keyboard is the smoothest Android yet in comparison. Screen, widget, everything is right on. The Nexus S is a nice phone with lousy antennas. Battery life is surprisingly good given the screen and all of. Definitely look at it

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
only time I get a weak signal off the NS4G is when I'm roaming otherwise I get a strong signal when I'm in service. How does that factor comparing the signal between the two phones? And the NS4G does measure signal differently.

eriaa01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't rely simply on the # of bars showing... had them side by side yesterday and while the photon had two more bars showing, the nexus signal strength was slightly higher at -84 dBm vs. -86dBm for the photon...

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's what I am thinking. My Nexus S4G usually averages one to two bars in roaming off 1x data and connected a lot better than my Evo did.

Srycantthnkof1

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand the number of bars showing is not how you measure signal strength, but honestly im at work right now where the Nexus would get no bars and one bar of 4g, I now get full 3g service and 2 to 3 bars of 4g. There is no denying that the photon has better service and reception.

Reactions: LeaninBack916

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I understand the number of bars showing is not how you measure signal strength, but honestly im at work right now where the Nexus would get no bars and one bar of 4g, I now get full 3g service and 2 to 3 bars of 4g. There is no denying that the photon has better service and reception.

I think you meant to say, "There is no denying that the photon appears to have better service and reception."

---

Comparing "bars" between different phones is useless. I'd love to see more real-world feedback on this phone. How about objective data, like Speedtest results? Or at least subjective data that is practical, like voice quality on calls?

andoman

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you meant to say, "There is no denying that the photon appears to have better service and reception."

---

Comparing "bars" between different phones is useless. I'd love to see more real-world feedback on this phone. How about objective data, like Speedtest results? Or at least subjective data that is practical, like voice quality on calls?

Real-world feedback, at my house my epic only gets roaming off verizon's towers or one bar of sprint (rare) with painfully slow 3g and my photon gets two to three bars with 3g service.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am a recent Photon owner upgraded from the Epic. After having my photon for a day, i can say (for me at least) that it does not have as good of signal strength as my epic did. I get an average of 2-3 bars, where as my epic would give me an average of 4-5. Not sure if I have a bad photon, but it's kind of irritating.

redbullsc10

May 29, 2011
Visit site

I had the nexus with all the same problems and bought the photon on monday. Millions times better no dropped calls, my texts actually send and 3g data speeds are faster loading pages. Only thing is your going from a phone with one of the nicest screens on the market to a moto screen so it will not have the nice colors. I knew this going into it and just wanted a phone that works. Love the photon

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

namreg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I returned my nexus at 28 days because of a different issue. I wasn't receiving voicemail notification from the status bar. Service could'nt fix the problem after numerous attempts including hard resets. Sprint even conferenced in Samsung. They were inept

Exchanged it for a Photon. MOTO has made a solid fast device with a great keyboard but..... it is just not as good IMO as the Nexus. Returned the very next day for another nexus. I still don't get voicemail notification in the status bar which is frustrating. I don't want Google voice or third party visual voicemail ..... any suggestions?

Love the phone and will keep it just need some help on the weird phenomenon please

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I currently own Nexus s , the 3d and Photon. I had the Epic. The Photon has the best reception, and the fastest 4g speeds by far!!!!!!! And the 3d is the worst by far. ( I am told a fix is coming for the 3d)

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
just swapped out my nexus for the photon this morning. Turned the nexus in for 2 reasons, dropped an important call last night and a few days earlier at the pool.... i had NO BARS (and not just for a second or 2 but for about 20 min). Those were just the two that pushed me over the edge.

The photon seems to be much better signal wise and speed wise so far. I still get really low sporadic bars at home for both wifi and 3g, but the connection does not get lost.