Skype for the Motorla Photon

thiaf1

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Android Central:

Does anyone know if the Motorola Photon has SKYPE yet? Are there any workarounds as it relates to using SKYPE on the photon for calls and videos?

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Skype works for calls and messaging but I have not been able to get video calls on it. Dont know about a workaround yet

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
This is one thing I just thought would work out the box since I had a evo shift which isnt supported for skype video chat but it works with no problems even though the shift only has a back camera. Really need my skype video chat because it works flawlessly without all the problems and such like qik and tango have.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I just found a post on droid forums and it works. Just tested it and it works with both cameras. video quality is grate.

"I got mine worked flawlessly here is how:
1. Uninstall any and every version of skype on your phone.
2. Download and install the modded version of skype from here (Credit to theos0o) : xda-developers - View Single Post - Skype 2.1.0.46 (v11) / fixes, extra features & more!
3. Sign in to your skype and hit the menu softkey then settings and tick the "Enable video calling" box. Your skype should log out and sign in again.
4. Once your signed in again and on the main page hit menu again and now to advanced settings.
5. Checkmark the option that says "Use valid preview surface"
6. Back out of there and enjoy."

Once again the link is : xda-developers - View Single Post - Skype 2.1.0.46 (v11) / fixes, extra features & more!

I took this from the Bionic forum but you Photon users may have some luck with this. Try it out.

misthop

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I took this from the Bionic forum but you Photon users may have some luck with this. Try it out.
Unfortunately that package does not fix the problem. For me I sign into Skype alright the firs time, but when I tell it to force video and use the preview skype then refuses to connect and dumps out of the app.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that package does not fix the problem. For me I sign into Skype alright the firs time, but when I tell it to force video and use the preview skype then refuses to connect and dumps out of the app.

Sorry to hear that. Thought it'd be worth a try at least.

cezasf

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Skype admin on their website support have stated: " At this moment our platform does not support the Tegra 2 chipset phones. We are aware of the situation and ARE WORKING ON IT." It seems they are aware of the problem are working on a solution to it, hopefully an update will come out soon. :-X
Until then you might want to try Tango.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Skype admin on their website support have stated: " At this moment our platform does not support the Tegra 2 chipset phones. We are aware of the situation and ARE WORKING ON IT." It seems they are aware of the problem are working on a solution to it, hopefully an update will come out soon. :-X
Until then you might want to try Tango.

So THAT'S why there's no Skype for tablets yet? (vast majority run a Tegra 2) Skype needs to get their crap together.

SporkLover

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The reason there's no Skype for Tegra2 devices yet is because Nvidia left off the NEON instruction set on their platform. Every other arm based SOC has it it's meant to enhance multimedia experiences. Skype for mobile devices is dependent on the neon instruction set. This was a conscious decision on Nvidias part, because they went with their own solution set for multimedia instructions. They wanted to blaze trails.

Nvidia knew they were stranding Skype video users...... One of their demonstrations of the power of tegra 2 was a Skype video call...... Using a one off program they developed, and never released, for the purpose of demonstrating tegra 2.

So, point being, you say Skype needs to get their stuff together, when really it was Nvidia who put us in this situation.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The reason there's no Skype for Tegra2 devices yet is because Nvidia left off the NEON instruction set on their platform. Every other arm based SOC has it it's meant to enhance multimedia experiences. Skype for mobile devices is dependent on the neon instruction set. This was a conscious decision on Nvidias part, because they went with their own solution set for multimedia instructions. They wanted to blaze trails.

Nvidia knew they were stranding Skype video users...... One of their demonstrations of the power of tegra 2 was a Skype video call...... Using a one off program they developed, and never released, for the purpose of demonstrating tegra 2.

So, point being, you say Skype needs to get their stuff together, when really it was Nvidia who put us in this situation.

Huh, thanks for the info. I knew NV had omitted the NEON instruction set and that affected some video playback apps and whatnot but I didn't realize it also affected Skype. Sounds just like NV to go down their own road rather than help forge a standard, ugh. (PhysX & CUDA anyone?) Unfortunately it seems like they're determined to keep pushing the SoC race so this might get worse before it gets better, altho supposedly Kal El (the quad core SoC for next gen tablets) will support NEON.

Any idea if Skype is looking into a workaround in the meantime or are they just gonna wait it out? If NV got it working surely there is a way, you'd think they'd wanna help Skype make their tablets even more versatile... This is worse than any sort of OS version fragmentation, SoC fragmentation, yay. :mad:

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Skype keeps closing on my Photon, then requests a an uninstall/reinstall. I got tired of this loop, so I reinstalled.

Draiko#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Huh, thanks for the info. I knew NV had omitted the NEON instruction set and that affected some video playback apps and whatnot but I didn't realize it also affected Skype. Sounds just like NV to go down their own road rather than help forge a standard, ugh. (PhysX & CUDA anyone?) Unfortunately it seems like they're determined to keep pushing the SoC race so this might get worse before it gets better, altho supposedly Kal El (the quad core SoC for next gen tablets) will support NEON.

Any idea if Skype is looking into a workaround in the meantime or are they just gonna wait it out? If NV got it working surely there is a way, you'd think they'd wanna help Skype make their tablets even more versatile... This is worse than any sort of OS version fragmentation, SoC fragmentation, yay. :mad:

NEON isn't needed for Skype video to work. nVidia showed off a working Skypekit client making HD video calls back in January. Proof

This delay is squarely on Skype's shoulders. My guess is that they're waiting for ICS to launch. Rumor has it that the Photon will be among the first Non Nexus devices to get ICS. The fact that virtually the same Tegra 2 SOC is in almost all of the current Android Tablets and that ICS is going to unify tablet and phone versions of Android into one kinda bolsters that fact. Also, Google bought Motorola.

I'm thinking the ICS upgrade schedule will go like this: (Launch)Nexus/Droid Prime (2nd wave)> Motorola Xoom, Motorola Photon/Atrix, Motorola Bionic, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G (3rd wave)> Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, other Tegra 2 tabs (final wave)> Other devices

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non