Moving Apps to SD Card on Photon

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had to do a factory reset on my phone due to errors after the recent update. Now that my phone is reset and I'm re-downloading apps again, I'd like to move a lot of them to the SD card - which is what I had prior to the factory reset.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or not doing at all, but that option is not even being offered when I go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. I even changed the Storage Location (under Settings>Storage...scroll to the bottom) to the SD card, but it's still not giving me the option to move apps to the SD card.

I also wasn't using any apps to move my apps to the SD (no apps2sd, etc.).

What am I doing wrong that the option has suddenly disappeared?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Edit: tried, still goes to internal storage... Lemme do some research

... Looks like we can't... Unless you use a file manager to drag them from internal phone storage android.secure into a sd card folder, however, I'm not sure if it'll read them.. Lemme see what I can manage here.

Last edited:
Reactions: HollyDolly

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
...every newer version of android I use I find something I don't like.

Tried my above method, restarted the phone, apps are not showing in my drawer... So no, looks like unfortunately we cannot move them to sd, only media area which is internal storage...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
...every newer version of android I use I find something I don't like.

Tried my above method, restarted the phone, apps are not showing in my drawer... So no, looks like unfortunately we cannot move them to sd, only media area which is internal storage...

But I was doing in, no problem, before I factory reset the phone. What happened?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure but everything I've been reading online says the feature wasn't supposed to have been available for a while...

I honestly don't see the point to switch them to sd vs internal storage... You can backup your internal storage through motocast on a pc, or you can switch them to sd using my method and put them back to internal just for something like this...

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure but everything I've been reading online says the feature wasn't supposed to have been available for a while...

I honestly don't see the point to switch them to sd vs internal storage... You can backup your internal storage through motocast on a pc, or you can switch them to sd using my method and put them back to internal just for something like this...

Well, thanks. I'll figure it out, one way or another. I honestly thought it was a simple thing and it must have been, because I don't recall sweating this issue the first time around...but right now, I am.

*sigh*

Thank you. :)

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with Tier 2 tech support at Motorola (only on hold for 50 minutes...). I was told that in order to move apps to the SD card, first:

Setting > Storage > Windows Media Sync (bottom of screen) change to SD Card.

Then, to move apps:

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Click on individual app > Move to Media Area. Media Area, the tech said, is the renaming of SD card. (He's dead wrong, though; read on...)

I've tried the above, and it does move the app, because then the option changes to "Move to Phone" afterwards.

I've kept an eye on both the Internal storage and SD card storage to see which decreases with the "Move to Media Area" option, and notice that with each subsequent move, there is a decrease in the Internal Storage space, *not* the SD card.

WTF, Motorola tech guy?!

Anyway, is this an improvement at all? It's certainly not the same as moving apps to the SD card.

So much for Motorola tech...

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
It's possible Motorola changed to partitioning in the update (I haven't used it so I am just guessing at this point) to prepare for the ICS update where they will use a more common partitioning scheme. I would explore rooting at this point if you are comfortable with it so you can force apps to your SD card if you'd like.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
not really sure why its that big a deal to have it on sd vs internal storage... You aren't losing space either way .

It was that way on 2.3.4 which was released prior to announcing ics on photon...
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
not really sure why its that big a deal to have it on sd vs internal storage... You aren't losing space either way .

It was that way on 2.3.4 which was released prior to announcing ics on photon...
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Ibought a 30GB SD card with the intention of having my apps on there, which worked before. But at least I can get them on the internal storage. Still, I hate the way this update fixed nothing and messed up everything.

Reactions: tirith

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty