New Sprint network explained

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Pretty good summary of the new Sprint Vision network being built. Is more than just LTE...

Sprint isn't ignoring its 3G network, which will still be its workhorse for the next few years. Its Network Vision plan dramatically improves 3G coverage in several different ways.
Shifting voice calls to the new 1x-Advanced technology lets Sprint carry more calls in less spectrum, opening up airwaves for more 3G data on devices like Apple's iPhone. Faster, Ethernet-based backhaul dramatically increases the number of megabits each cell site can carry.

Moving voice calls to abandoned Nextel 800-MHz spectrum opens up even more 1900-MHz data bandwidth for hungry iPhone users, without the iPhone having to include another radio band.

Sprint: A Better Network is Coming | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

r1fo

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I certainly hope to see a dramatic improvement in the 3G speeds that Sprint offers. It's easily apparent how slow the 3G data stream is when I'm running my phone next to any of my friends' (I'm the only one on Sprint). The obvious answer is to switch carriers but I'm still a fan of Sprint over the years and I feel like they are really making an effort to be competitive.

JaboSan

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Same here, I'm a sucker for the under dog, plus they've always been good to me so I think I'll stay with them for a while.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully 3G will improve, but the future is LTE. And I don't think they will be selling any more smartphones that don't support it's LTE network even though it's non-existent right now.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully 3G will improve, but the future is LTE. And I don't think they will be selling any more smartphones that don't support it's LTE network even though it's non-existent right now.

But, in the meantime, those LTE phones will not have 4G; they will operate on the 3G. And who knows how quickly the LTE net will spread. And, even once its totally up, we all know that not all areas of the country will have strong, or even any, LTE signal. Then, 3G is what your phone will use. Sprint's 3G network definitely needs a HUGE bump. Having new phones with all the bells and whistles, and latest technology, won't increase/maintain subscribers if they're just something pretty to carry around. They have to perform. So I applaud Sprint for making their 3G network stronger. It had to.

Last edited:

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
But, in the meantime, those LTE phones will not have 4G; they will operate on the 3G. And who knows how quickly the LTE net will spread. And, even once its totally up, we all know that not all areas of the country will have strong, or even any, LTE signal. Then, 3G is what your phone will use. Sprint's 3G network definitely needs a HUGE bump. Having new phones will all the bells and whistles, and latest technology, won't increase/maintain subscribers if they're just something pretty to carry around. They have to perform. So I applaud Sprint for making their 3G network stronger. It had to.

They are doing the upgrades together. The same upgrade that improves the 3g on a tower will also add 4g LTE to that same tower. If you're on an older device the 3g improvement will help you out. But if you're on a new LTE device, once they upgrade the tower, you'll be operating on 4g anyway so the improved 3g shouldn't really make a difference to you.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
But, in the meantime, those LTE phones will not have 4G; they will operate on the 3G. And who knows how quickly the LTE net will spread. And, even once its totally up, we all know that not all areas of the country will have strong, or even any, LTE signal. Then, 3G is what your phone will use. Sprint's 3G network definitely needs a HUGE bump. Having new phones will all the bells and whistles, and latest technology, won't increase/maintain subscribers if they're just something pretty to carry around. They have to perform. So I applaud Sprint for making their 3G network stronger. It had to.

I call them 4G play phones here.. They look smart but are actually dumber than a bag of hammers.. :( Sprint suffered dearly here as verizon owns the area here I believe if 4G is needed at a much higher price and contract....
( Of course I'm joking as the same 4G handsets anyplace else having 4G are brilliant imo. ) I don't suffer from phone envy any more it's data speed envy nowadays..

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
you can also see what Sprint is doing in your specific area at the link below

https://network.sprint.com/

Just select your city or type your zip code in.

Ok, I just looked up my zip code in Queens NY.
The question is how far will a signal carry and how rapidly does it deteriorate.
My 3G is so bad that if I was not on WiFi at home I would not be a Sprint customer. My WiMax also is VERY poor.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
LTE will get better penetration than WiMAX since LTE is at 1900 and WiMAX is at 2500Mhz. When Sprint goes to 800Mhz by 2014, they will have tremendously good coverage as they have more sites closer together than ATT/VZW.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What is Sprint's "Network Vision" ??

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Network Vision Information Center

Network Vision, originally announced in December 2010, is Sprint?s plan to consolidate multiple network technologies into one seamless network with the goal of increasing efficiency and enhancing network coverage, call quality and data speeds for customers across the United States.

On Oct. 7, 2011, Sprint announced its plans to accelerate deployment of Network Vision and its plans to roll out 4G LTE on its 1.9 GHz licensed spectrum. Sprint expects the rapid deployment to reach 250 million people by the end of 2013.

Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO
?Our progress deploying Network Vision enables Sprint to extend and evolve our 4G leadership and to improve the experience for 3G customers. Our next-generation network and cutting-edge device lineup, combined with the industry?s best pricing plans, give Sprint customers the best experience in wireless.?

Current vs. New cell site

Today, Sprint uses separate equipment to deploy services on 800 MHz and 1.9 GHz spectrum. Through Network Vision Sprint will install new network equipment and software that brings together multiple spectrum bands, or airwaves, on a single, multimode base station. The new equipment makes it easy to accommodate additional spectrum bands.

s1ndec.jpg

With Network Vision, Sprint will make substantial changes to the cell sites that power its wireless network. The top image shows Sprint?s existing base stations, which require single, refrigerator-sized cabinets for each technology. Large black coaxial cables must run from each cabinet to the top of the cell tower, which has an inherent loss of signal. The Network Vision multi-mode base station will require less space. Other advantages will include the ability for Sprint to use spectrum bands on multiple technologies, replacing coaxial cables with fiber that is not affected by signal loss and improved remote radio heads that replace existing less efficient radios.

Multi-mode technology

The implementation of multimode technology throughout the Sprint network will:
? Enhance service
? Create network flexibility
? Reduce operating costs
? Improve environmental sustainability

? Berge Ayvazian, Senior Consultant, Heavy Reading
?This is a very bold move. Sprint was first with an all-digital wireless network; the first to upgrade to EVDO; and more recently, the first to broadly offer 4G services. Sprint is once again first to deploy a common converged mobile network that will strengthen its 3G services; enhance its 4G technology options; and continue delivering the industry?s leading push-to-talk offering.? -- December, 2010

Network Vision Progress: Sprint and its Network Vision partners, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson and Samsung are executing detailed deployment plans, with deployment of 22,000 cell sites currently underway and many technical milestones achieved.

Roll-out of LTE on 1.9 GHz spectrum: Sprint will extend its 4G leadership position in the U.S. by adding LTE technology to enhance its current 4G offerings, with plans to launch LTE on its existing 1.9 GHz spectrum by mid-year of 2012. Sprint expects its 4G coverage footprint to cover 250 million people when the build-out is completed by the end of 2013.

Sprint Direct Connect: On October 2, Sprint launched Sprint Direct Connect, the next generation of push-to-talk service with broadband data capabilities. Operating on the CDMA network, we expect Sprint Direct Connect to give customers 3x greater coverage?from 900,000 square miles to approximately 2.7 million - a broader lineup of devices including smartphones, and all the benefits associated with broadband capabilities.

3G Network Improvement: Sprint expects a significant improvement in customers? 3G network experience, including expanded coverage, improved network reliability, better voice quality, and faster 3G data speeds. Based on forecasts of data demand, Sprint is confident its 3G network will meet customers? growing data demands.

Financial benefit to Sprint

? Sprint expects the Network Vision plan to bring financial benefit to the company.

? This is to come from reducing operating costs and also by avoiding future expenses as wireless data traffic continues to grow.

? The total estimated incremental cost of the Network Vision program over the deployment period is between $4 billion and $5 billion.

? Sprint estimates the total net financial benefit over a seven-year period will be between $10 billion and $11 billion.

? Cost savings are expected to come from capital efficiencies, reducing energy costs, lowering roaming expenses, backhaul savings and the eventual reduction in the total number of cell sites.

EV-DO Advanced, while offering operators a way to improve network performance via a software upgrade, doesn't address peak download speeds. It does, however, improve overall network capacity and latency through techniques such as load balancing, adaptive frequency reuse and single-carrier multilink. Moreover, the upgrade is compatible with existing Rev. A devices.

1X Advanced builds on 1X technology and adds techniques such as BTS interference cancellation, radio link enhancements and others to provide boosts to performance including up to a 4x increase in voice capacity and up to a 70% increase in coverage.

2potp2d.png

Sprint -- LTE-Advanced, FD-LTE + TD-LTE, VoLTE, HD Voice

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOIQT3-J8g[/YT]

Uploaded by ConvergeDigest on Oct 31, 2011

Iyad Tarazi, Sprint's VP of Network Development and Engineering, discusses the company's Network Vision, including:

* Phase 1 of the LTE rollout now and into 2012
* Phase 2 with LTE-Advanced, including 4x4 MIMO, in 2013
* Extending the Clearwire partnership by running FD-LTE alongside TD-LTE using dual mode devices
* Voice over LTE and the HD voice over the CDMA network